Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any love for Spike?

Bronypupfan

Now, I love the mane 6, but I also really like Spike, and I have enjoyed the episodes that focus on him and develop him as a character. His character has developed a bit since the series started.

I think he's a great character. and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in future episodes.

Are there any other Spike fans out there?

I like Spike very much, in fact his recent episode Dragon Quest is probably one of my favorites of season 2. I have to say I do like the Mane 6 a bit more though(but really, who doesn't?), but I'd place Spike on my list before the side/background characters no doubt. :)

• Brohoof 1

Dragon Quest was almost the best episode ever. Right about here I started getting all tear jerky with many a d'awwww and sniffle:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVkHsCzAbZc

Then at about 5:00 it kinda shifted gears and Spike went on his quest to see what a generic dragon does, instead of really finding out who he is. Anyone else have a similar opinion?

EDIT: I can't quite figure out how do get the video to start at the correct time, but I had it start at the scene change at 4:06 in the video.

Edited by PaxSlayer

Spike is actually one of the more complicated characters on the show. There are many layers of extremes to his personality ranging from sarcastic jerk to voice of reason to unlikely hero to sidekick to comic relief to some form of sealed monster. He's had a lot of development over the past two seaons which proves the writers really love his character.

• Brohoof 1

Of course! I love spike and TwiForLife are you using that creepy 50% nsfw picture of twilight as avatar?

Spike is actually one of the more complicated characters on the show. There are many layers of extremes to his personality ranging from sarcastic jerk to voice of reason to unlikely hero to sidekick to comic relief to some form of sealed monster. He's had a lot of development over the past two seaons which proves the writers really love his character.

That's so true! And I don't think I've ever watched Spike and felt that he was not acting in accordance with his character. He's complex and multifaceted.

Now that I think about it, it's probably easiest to identify with Spike than any of the other ponies (even the mane six).

(edited)

...Then at about 5:00 it kinda shifted gears and Spike went on his quest to see what a generic dragon does, instead of really finding out who he is. Anyone else have a similar opinion?

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.

There is only so much that the writers can do with a 20 minute story. Perhaps we will learn more about Spike's back story in a future episode.

Still, I really enjoyed the episode.It had a good moral at the end.

Edited by Bronypupfan
  • Brohoof 1

Spike is cool and all but Rarity deserves a stallion of a pony, not a dragon. Plus his behavior in "Dragon Quest" was entirely homosexual because Rarity complementing Spike was the equivalent of a hot naked chick complementing one's looks. If I was Spike, I would've behaved quite differently.

Edited by Big Macintosh

Very well said! I couldn't agree more.

Spike is cool and all but Rarity deserves a stallion of a pony, not a dragon. Plus his behavior in "Dragon Quest" was entirely homosexual because Rarity complementing Spike was the equivalent of a hot naked chick complementing one's looks. If I was Spike, I would've behaved quite differently.

I think he was just upset and embarrassed that she thought of him as cute (like a pet or something) when he felt that dragons should not be cute.

He was being admired by her, but not in the way he wanted. Classic case of "friend zoned".
  • Brohoof 2

Hot naked chick.... Really?

I have to say Spike was pretty great in A Dog and Pony Show too, that episode really shows off a lot of his character.

Edited by Super Brony Bolt 64
  • Brohoof 2

Spike is an excellent character and a very complex one at that. He can be jovial, sarcastic, and a teaser at times. However, he also has an extremely sensitive side—exploited in both Dragon Quest and Owl's Well It Ends Well. He has that human quality where we sometimes don't know what he's going to say. But you know what? It works. He's a baby dragon, but an eager and intelligent baby dragon that's growing up into an even better and more complex character. :D

• Brohoof 2