Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Super Dash Theory.

Lemon Slices

Hey guys!

Simple  observation about this thread: That is my opinion. I can be wrong. This is just a regular theory.

I was a bit away from MLP this week.  :okiedokielokie:

But I was talking with my friend and I've got two conclusions about Rainbow Dash:

This thread is about the most polemic pony --in my opinion, of course--: Rainbow Dash!

post-29838-0-04304500-1417650192.jpg

>Applause sound<

How can she do a Sonic Rainboom?

post-29838-0-70579900-1417650221.jpg

As most of us can see, Rainbow cannot surpass the speed of the sound, that is 340 meters/second, by the simple conclusion that there is no such being that can survive in such a speed like that.

post-29838-0-98904400-1417650204.jpg

Simple biological processes, like breathing and blood circulation, could be impossible. Just think of the sonic jet pilots, that use special clothes to keep the blood circulation in important organs to survive the extreme G-forces (I am not good at physics, but it is something like that.  :P ) A simple pegasi, that isn't adapted to those speeds, would be crushed.

So you can discard your opinion that Rainbow Dash is faster than Sonic XD

But the main topic is how she can do it.

post-29838-0-90262400-1417650224.jpg

If she can't surpass our world's sound speed, lets slow the sound speed. To do it, you have to realize that waves(sound) spread faster in solid matter, than liquid matter, than gasous matter. So we can relate the supporting matter's density with the sound speed.

To be clear, I found this image:

post-29838-0-01052200-1417650467.jpg

So, to slow sound's speed, Equestria's air has to be less dense, and would be so thin, but so thin that the sound would be very very slow, and Rainbow could achieve a speed bigger than the sound's speed (in her world). So, according with it, if the whole world's air were thin, little beings with tiny lungs that live in that same world would die by suffocation, and a lot of other elementary biological things wouldn't happen. So, I could affirm that Sonic Rainbooms are a complete mystery.

post-29838-0-65097200-1417650206.jpg

Breaking Bones (and the Hyper Dash's Resistance) -- How?

The only pony I saw in My Little Pony (I watched only until 4S11E, I guess, but it is still a good base for analysis :lol: ), was Rainbow Dash breaking her wing in some random episode I forgot now (Soaren broke some bones too in other random episode, but lets forget it for now). She fell from an considerable height and considerable speed that could broke a bunch of teeth, ribs, and even arms to humans. But she broke just a single wingbone, and she didn't lose even a single tooth! WTF?

One thing to consider is that in the entire series, for some ethical reason I guess, no pony ever got a single cut. Just scratches, but never blood.

Considering that Soaren broke a lot of bones too in an accident, and comparing that Rainbow Dash took just some days for recover from her accident, and comparing her body hardness with Soaren, a trained pegasi in matter of fly, I could affirm that Rainbow Dash has an incredible body resistance with impacts.

#SuperDash  B) 

post-29838-0-09804200-1417650780.jpg

super Dash.bmp

That those theories my friend were really good! You did the math, you thoroughly explained it, and you even made it easier to understand for idiots like me! Well Done!

Well, this is very well elaborated. I barely understand physics and I understood everything in your theory in a way that made me curious.

However, for a rather personal reason, I think there's always something wrong with theories like these. I've always believed that trying to apply the laws of physics that we know on Earth to Equestria is like trying to write down unmeasurable noises in the musical notation: there's no point in figuring them out because it's obvious that they are different from musical notes to a point where they can't be even thought of in the same context. That's my explanation to why also magic is like science there and stuff.

It would be as valid to think that the air is thinner on Equestria, as it's obvious that the life forms in there are different from here. Maybe their lungs work differently, or they don't even oxygenate at all. It's a huge mystery; the kind of mystery that refuses to be solved.

As most of us can see, Rainbow cannot surpass the speed of the sound, that is 340 meters/second, by the simple conclusion that there is no such being that can survive in such a speed like that.

WRONG!

I have survived travelling at speeds faster than sound. So have you. We're both travelling faster than the speed of sound right now. Why? Because we're on planet Earth, which is travelling at about 30 km/s (about 90 times the speed of sound) on its orbit around the sun. Whatsmore the sun is orbiting the milky way at 220 km/s. And the milky way is cruising through space at about 1000 km/s.

Speed is fine. We can all cope with speed.

What causes blackouts and death in supersonic aircraft pilots isn't speed; it's acceleration - that is, how quickly you change speed. All Dashie needs to do is ensure that she reaches supersonic speed gradually.

Her real problem is air resistance. The faster you go, the harder friction is going to push back on you. You could explain that away by a lower air density, but a low air density would make pegasus wings fairly useless - you need air to generate lift.

That said, I've always considered pegasus wings to be too puny for flight, and assumed that majority of the work done to keep them aloft is magic. The wings are perhaps primarily used for steering and stability.

Edited by Vital Spark

Rainbow cannot surpass the speed of the sound, that is 340 meters/second, by the simple conclusion that there is no such being that can survive in such a speed like that.

Uh, Flash, Superman, Quicksilver etc.?

It's called a sonic rainboom but all we can see is that Dashie produces a Prandtl-Glauert condensation cloud of rainbow

However, "An aircraft can generate a Prandtl-Glauert condensation cloud without ever exceeding the speed of sound." (sourse: http://web.archive.org/web/20041216141404/www.fluidmech.net/tutorials/sonic/prandtl-glauert-clouds.htm)

And this is an interesting view as well

Edited by Osiria

Uh, Flash, Superman, Quicksilver etc.?

But they're superheroes. They can take things regular humans can't do. Their bodies are vastly different than ours because of their powers.

If a regular human being attempted to break the speed of sound regardless of any sort of armor or whatever to assist in such a feat they wouldn't accomplish it without suffering some sort of injury. A super hero, especially speed based ones like the ones you listed can do so because well yeah.

What causes blackouts and death in supersonic aircraft pilots isn't speed; it's acceleration - that is, how quickly you change speed. All Dashie needs to do is ensure that she reaches supersonic speed gradually.

Her real problem is air resistance. The faster you go, the harder friction is going to push back on you. You could explain that away by a lower air density, but a low air density would make pegasus wings fairly useless - you need air to generate lift.

That said, I've always considered pegasus wings to be too puny for flight, and assumed that majority of the work done to keep them aloft is magic. The wings are perhaps primarily used for steering and stability.

Another thing to note as well is that what's more illogical about Rainbow Dash's performance in Sonic Rainboom isn't the fact that she made a Sonic Rainboom, but rather the instance in which she suddenly changes directions after she's grabbed the Wonderbolts and Rarity within that episode. As they say - "it's not the fall, but the sudden stop at the end". Normal bodies of organisms are not designed to be able to handle a sudden change or stop in direction like that. As your post says, it's the suddenness that puts people in danger.

But of course, perhaps pegasi, and other ponies for that matter, have developed in such a way that the sudden stop doesn't bother their bodies or shift their organs. If this is true, then the same function that would protect them in that way would also protect them in the case that they suddenly accelerate as well, which renders the whole point in the first post completely moot. In other words, it is very much entirely possible that Rainbow flew that fast. It is not even considered unusual for pegasi to be fast in the first place, she's just exceptionally good at it.

But they're superheroes. They can take things regular humans can't do. Their bodies are vastly different than ours because of their powers.

If a regular human being attempted to break the speed of sound regardless of any sort of armor or whatever to assist in such a feat they wouldn't accomplish it without suffering some sort of injury. A super hero, especially speed based ones like the ones you listed can do so because well yeah.

Well yes, but Rainbow Dash isn't a regular horse. You can't bind her by things like "nothing living can go above the speed of sound"; it's a completely different concept in fiction.

Normal bodies of organisms are not designed to be able to handle a sudden change or stop in direction like that.

The change was 90-ish degree in direction, so I wouldn't say it's illogical.

Rapid directional change is easy for many flying animals and sea creatures (e.g. fruit fly). If they have developed a mechanism for directional change in high speed, their body should be capable to handle. Because they need to do that to escape from predators.

When Dashie flies, she forms a sharp edge by her hooves. This and her long tail (And of course her wings) allow she to vigorously re-direct the flow of the air passing over the rear of her body so she can change direction very quickly .

What I think the relatively illogical thing is the power of sonic rainboom (the distance that a shock wave can travel & breaking a huge stone)

Edited by Osiria

What I think the relatively illogical thing is the power of sonic rainboom (the distance that a shock wave can travel & breaking a huge stone)

What's more impressive is the fact that it was loud enough for Pinkie to hear it from the rock farm, and strong enough to almost rip the trees out of the ground. Cloudsdale is nowhere near the rock farm.

Edited by Shimmer5000

I like the Cutie Mark Laboratory posts.  I don't always agree w his logic, but I appreciate he does use logic.  So, according to him, rainbooms are created by a sort of cloud chamber effect.  (Saw on Connections, cloud chambers were created to research rainbows & used for nuclear research because they don't work as they were supposed to)

Dash was hurt in "Read It and Weep", Soarin in "Rainbow Falls"  How did they survive?  Well, it is canon that Pegasi can fly because of "magic".  That is, they are really levitating not flying like birds (by wing alone).  This is why, in Baby Cakes, the unicorn baby is flying by magic.  They have a sort of force field windbreaker ahead of them (like fairings on a motor cycle) (or whatever it is called).  This acts as a sort of airbag effect when they crash.  (Why? Darwin.  The ones that could were more likely to survive crashes)

In Hurricane Fluttershy, they have a machine that records the wing power of Pegasi.  Dash measured 16.5, no other pony had over 11 & only 1 was over 10 (F only had 2.5 after working her tail off)  So, Dash can do stuff that other Pegasi can't because the force is strong within that one. 

An even better question would be "How come, after episode 23, nobody knows she can do this?"  I mean, kind of hard to miss, IMO.  My best guess is they saw the boom but didn't believe Dash did it.

The real answer to anything mlp related regarding these things is CPL. -- Cartoon Pony Logic, people... That's the ultimate answer you seek when analyzing these things.  :maud:

Exactly.

But it is just fun to try to apply real physics in cartoons.

• Brohoof 1