Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did you develop your OC?

AmberDust

EDIT
This is NOT a thread for advertising your OCs. It's for giving or requesting help, so please don't post your OC unless you're making an actual contribution.
Thanks.
ALSO, please put spoiler tags around large blocks of text to avoid clutter.
:please:

Just as the title says--how did you develop your best OC? Did it change a lot, from beginning to end? What difficulties did you have? What about epiphanies?

It makes me sad to hear that a lot of people are scared to make OCs for fear that they'll be ridiculed or harshly judged by others. Although its true that there is such thing as a bad OC, we've all been there, and one bad OC does not a bad author make. ;) Practice makes progress, after all.

The purpose of this thread is to show beginner OC makers the ropes when it comes to building and experimenting with OCs. (And having no fear!) I imagine that, with the variety of people here, we'll touch on many topics, from avoiding tropes to coming up with a brilliant cutie mark. I'd like you to post the unabridged story of how you developed your OC, from the initial idea to the end result.

And to those who want some extra advice on their OC, I'm sure we'd all be glad to help. so don't be afraid to post. :)

Taken and edited from here
♦ How I developed my OC

First of all I'm going to say that I'm more of an artist than a writer, which means my creative process is entirely different. So, without further ado, here's how I made my OC from the inside-out. :)
My OC, Amber Dust, started life as a ponysona--as in, it was based on me. Since I already knew her personality, (its was the same as mine,) I started with some sketches, experimenting with mane and eye styles. I've taken personality quizzes and ended up deciding that she would be best as a unicorn, since she would be an artist with a creative and curious mind. (Although originally I wanted to be a Pegasus, it just didn't fit my personality)

She was easy to accessorize when I knew she was based on me--so her braided tail and freckles came naturally. The earring happened when I decided her mane lacked impact.

After I had pretty much decided on her appearance, I tried to figure out how she'd fit into ponyville-- the first step was giving her a pony-esque name, then figuring out how she got here. This is where she started becoming less and less like me. I decided that maybe a friend of hers misunderstood her artistic dream and introduced her to Rarity to become her apprentice. (As in, "oh, you wanna be a designer? There's a designer in town!", when she really wanted to be a different type of artist entirely.)
Thinking of this awkward situation helped me develop her personality when I tried to think of how she'd react-- I decided she would be a little shy, nervous, but very curious and a little bit of a daydreamer, etc.
Basically, the more situations I drew her in, the more her personality was fleshed out. Some of her personality was developed because of her name--
I had initially just named her "Amber" because I liked the name, but in my research, I discovered blue ambers, which glow blue under blacklight. This inspired me to make Amber Dust more mysterious, curious, and someone with a love of discovery--somepony who wasn't quite what she seemed, just like her namesake stone.

Then I tried to figure out what her cutie mark would represent. Sure, she was an artist, but was that going to be the one thing that set her apart? No. Remember that cutie marks aren't strictly about talent--just a unique characteristic that sets them apart. look at Rarity for instance.
I decided on this glowing amber as a mark, and her personality developed more from there. After listing some possibilities of what it could mean, I decided on a "light in the dark". More simply, "hope". The story behind this continues to be expanded on to this day.

This is where her backstory began, and she was definitely no longer a ponysona. I had to fit this image of "hope" into her backstory somehow, and I was inspired a bit by the song "The gypsy bard" and "the orphanage song", since I'd been listening to them a lot at the time. But with that in mind, I didn't want her backstory to be too melodramatic, and neither do you! So I worked around it. Bing bang boom, her best friends were foster children. She inspired them with hope by telling them stories of magic and mystery from the wide world of Equestria to keep them happy.

Her mysterious, adventuring spirit came into existence when somebody on these boards was asking people for OCs for his fighting game-- she needed a reason to be there, so I decided that when she grows up, and her friends move away, she decides that she wants to discover all these wonderful things she talked about as a child and becomes something like an explorer/archeologist...then I was brought back to how she got to ponyville to begin with--her friend who introduced her to Rarity had sent her a letter telling of all the interesting things in ponyville, from the Everfree to the destroyed library. And there we go! Full circle. I had her entire character and a little extra (fighting style and adventurous spirit, which probably wouldn't be necessary for a story, but were nice to have it I ever needed a little extra personality). I even began developing a family tree based on my own family.

I realize that I made my character backwards--usually you're supposed to start with personality and end with appearance, but this is what worked for me. I used my own personality as a bit of a springboard/placeholder.

The important thing to remember is that inspiration and ideas can come from literally anywhere. Surround yourself with inspiration and give your OC time to bloom--don't turn it into work! This is supposed to be fun. The more you think about it and write and draw and daydream without setting anything in stone, the more the character will come to life. Sometimes, you might just have to start in the middle and work your way out, like me.
So I ask this: what have you already figured out about your OC? What are you having trouble with exactly? I COULD give you advice, but you might find it better to just give your OC a little room and time to grow instead of forcing her out in one afternoon. :)

Edited by AmberDust
  • Brohoof 3

Dexterous has had a rather short development cycle. I went about it an odd way, but I suppose any place you start is a valid one. I believe it started with his name.

I like Derpy. We have a common condition, though mine is less severe. I was born cross eyed and had surgery to correct it a couple times. Anyway, I looked at her name and thought about what if they focused on the upside instead and thus came dexterous wings.

I always liked things that were slow and steady rather than darty, so I gave him big wings to be able to fly slow and steady and for long periods. It was an idea I got from a fic I have long since forgotten the name. It was something with Fluttershy and a big lake with a giant turtle I think. I gave him legs that were kind of too long, because I also have long legs for my height. (Sitting down I look average, but I'm about 6ft2)

Color scheme came out of my own lack of color sense. Grey is the little black dress of pony creation. It goes with just about everything. Then I fiddled with the mane color. I like red as a color, but I didn't want something too bright, so I gave it a nice muted tone. (Plus if I went full blood red it would make him look like a bad oc. Not that red can't be done, just very carefully.) I also have a good bit of red in my brown hair. I chose green eyes because they make such a great combo with red hair.

His cutie mark took the longest. I had this slow and steady flyer. What would he be good at? Observing and searching. Now, there are two good applications for this military scouting or search and rescue. I think we have quite enough warrior ponies, so I went for an option where he would help ponies. (Not that I am disparaging military ponies in any way, there are just a lot of them) I might have already had the wings from my YouTube channel icon and so I repurposed them and put binoculars in front. Later, I simplified the wings by stealing from the wonderbolt mark. The original mark had much more detailed wings.

I'm still developing his personality, so I've been doing a bit of role playing and I started up an ask thread to help me really solidify his personality. Feel free to visit. The link to it is in my signature (shameless plug).

Edited by DexterousWings
  • Brohoof 2

Malinter is a sort-of bridge between my real self and my favourite pony, Big Macintosh.

Like Mac he is big, strong and pretty patient.

Like me he likes walking, exploring, nature and drinking tea.

If Mac had been born in trottingham, Malinter is what he'd be XD.

Also, the colour scheme is me choosing earthy colours of green and brown for him.

Mal's horseshoe coiled in vines cutie mark represents Mal's talent at navigating forests.

Edited by Snow Pony Malinter

Wind Chaser and Vested Interest both come from parts of myself. Wind Chaser comes from my current position in life and was created to fill a character niche that does not exist in the show and is itself rare in the fandom, a young adult character with no set goals in life, no clear talents, and no cutie mark. It fits where I'm at in real life right now. I personally love the underdog story and there aren't many of those in MLP.

Wind Chaser fits in just as well with the "friendship" theme in that his backstory would push the message that friendship is the way to fullfillment and a good life. He is unlucky and a bit dragged down, but I do not embellish it too much. I've run into trouble developing the character since he is my ponysona and I do not want to give away too much of my real life story. I've written the character to a point where it would make an alternative to the side of Equestria the show has presented to us while at the same time fitting in well with the canon and other OCs.

Vested Interest is pretty much a more idealized version of me. She represents my creative side and my willingness to use talents to help others given the chance. She persevered through adversity to support her family without using an overembellished sob story or any of the usual cliches, and she represents optimism, aspiration, and forward thinking in the face of negativity. She is everything I feel inside and everything I wish to be all at the same time. The two characters together provide for an interesting dynamic and would play off well against each other.

If there is any advice I would have to newcomers, it is to make it you. Don't fall into traps and cliches, and reach deep inside yourself to find inspiration. Find avenues in the storyline that haven't been traversed yet, and make it something you and others can relate to. Find the good and bad traits of yourself and others you know and put them together into a format that many can understand and relate to.

Overdrive, in essence, is me, albeit "ponified." Allow me to elaborate.

When I first started thinking about doing an OC, I looked at a lot of designs, and noticed a lot of uniformity, a lot of similarity with a large majority of them. I wanted to break the mold, so to speak, and do something a little different. His appearance is based mainly off my personality, in which he's a tough guy, but is a big softie at heart. The chain around his neck represents his inner strength and resiliency, for he had a tough life growing up, seeing a lot of things most shouldn't even have to go through. His mane is reflective of his/my old school nature, as well as a preference towards 70's/80's rock and metal music. His coat, and color scheme in general just looked really good together, and make him stand out.

Personality-wise, it's like looking at a mirror for me. Literally, he's a no-nonsense pony who works his hooves off like no tomorrow, until he has accomplished what was needed. Like me, he still knows how to have and enjoy a good time when not focused on other matters. He's always one to step forward, and help others in need, and not afraid to take risks in doing so.

He's one of those "one-of-a-kind" ponies, that either you hardly ever see, or see at all.

My first OC I guess you could say, I sort of created alot at once, is Bright Bastion. And he's a ponysona of my first RolePlay character, an elf named Rellenor. (d&d character) At this point, I've sort of ported him everywhere. from D&D to WoW to gw2. and across those Roleplays is where Bright Bastion's story comes from, as well as his looks and even him being a unicorn.

I developed my OC, Veiled Spike from a self portrait of myself I have done. I combined my ideas with the things in my life and interests. I am in the gothic subculture, so therefore it's a gothic pony. I am artistically inclined and so I made her a unicorn. The idea for the name Veiled Spike came from the pony name generator on Deviantart. By the time I learned how to draw ponies, I got to work on my first OC, Scarred Rhythym. He was initially supposed to be a part-alicorn part-chaos bringer from the inspiration of Ink Rose's headcannons on the history of Equestria, but I decided to make him a jersey devil since he is much similar in appearance to one. I have incorporated him as a supporting character to Veiled Spike's background story. I am currently using her as a roleplay character on one of the roleplay forums. 

Edited by crisahys

My pony was originally designed for a whole other fandom: Winx Club. She was originally a fairy. There really isn't a whole lot to tell, but I'll try.

I had wanted to do a Winx Club RP on another forum, but that didn't work out. I reworked her into a dimensional traveler, allowing her to exist in just about any dimension (RP Universe). Theoretically she could travel to Equestria and get turned into a pony by the "rule" of the EG mirror, but I wanted to just make a separate one that existed in it already. The fairy has been in superhero RPs mostly, because her powers fit that kind of thing. When first introduced into an RP I actually just introduced her as a character from that show, but I gradually retconned her into an OC because I didn't want to mess with the canon of that show, like her getting relationships and stuff. I didn't have to change all that much when I converted her into a pony.

Her interests, powers, and personality reflect a female version of myself if college diplomas weren't required and if I had a genius level IQ instead of just above average.

Though I still RP her as such and not even in Winx Club RP (Because these seem to be near nonexistent), the independent pony version seems to get more action lately.

Edited by bronislav84

I know a lot of people say that you have to make a up a personality, name and a backstory about your OC to flesh them out before you actually draw them, but I'm a visual learner. I need to see the pony I'll be making a personality and backstory about. Twinkle Tower, my new OC is based off of my absolute wonder of the cosmos. I made her in Hasbro's pony creator and then that's when the ideas of her started flooding in. Guess I'm just backwards like that. :wat:

• Brohoof 3

I need to see the pony I'll be making a personality and backstory about

Im kinda the same way for the most part,  half my ocs came from doing random stuff

on the pony creature and others are a bit twisted from ocs i keep in my head and use

all the time in day dreams....

Unless I come on a random thought in thinking of the MLP world and all

and like,  "How do the leaves change color?"  Which is how I got my

oc Rhode and all and also what if you a unicorn was born in the

classic looking sense, which I got Dragonblood and all but some ocs

Im putting more into but it takes me a long time to also out ocs

a bit,  my fav is Rune and Sallie also a bit when it comes to my

North.....

For none pony,  I have a changeling and a giffion also in the works and

a sea pony with a few bat ponies!

• Brohoof 1

the lore behind creating Snowflake Frostflame is a long one

I originally came up with the idea of him when I discovered the OC Generator back then he was dark blue with black hair and brown eyes and I named him Snowflake after my love towards ice magic

much later I came up with the idea of a fan fic that was originally called "The Forgotten Heroes" later renamed to "Snowflake" basically a fan fic written by me and edited by my sister about my OC's entire life and that is when I decided to change him to the colors of ice magic which was light blue and white the fan fic is also where I got the idea for him wearing an eye patch

now for one thing everyone asks me is why is he depressed... Snowflake has lived a tough life he became an orphan at a young age then much later witnessed his own friend's deaths then his own sister's the only people he really cared about in his world

The idea to make him a Mercenary was given to me when I first joined the MLP Forums I have no idea why but it just came to me when I was posting to someone who worshiped chaos I believe my exact words were "I'm a mercenary I only serve who ever has the bigger bag of bits" as for his lore he became one because he literally had no where else to go after his friends died

why he is known as Frostflame..... when he became an orphan he was separated from his sister who was too young to remember her family name Snowflake's actual last name is Frost when his sister got adopted her last name became Flame Snowflake refers to himself as Frostflame as a reminder of his sister

I'm pretty sure that's it....... any questions click the link to "Ask Me" in my signature

Edited by Snowflake Frostflame

• 1 month later...

Sorry for reviving a somewhat old topic, but I didn't think I should make a new thread when one already exists.  Hope that's okay. 

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to approach writing a backstory for a character.  Normally, when I make a character, as I role play them, I get to know them better, and as their new story develops forward, their backstory also develops backwards in my head as well.  I like this method because it feels like the characters take on a life on their own and choose to share their story with me; however, I want to role play as my OC in the Equestrian Empire and this requires a full profile first, including the backstory.

I don't like the idea of making up a story and forcing it onto a character, but it seems like I have a choice in this case.

So, how should I approach writing a backstory for an pony OC?  I'm not giving much details on my character 'cause I want to avoid being told what the backstory should be.  I would just like tips on how to approach it.

I guess I should say where part of my problem comes from.  As you can guess, his name is Harmony and he's the pony in my avatar. Harmony is meant to represent me, but I have my own backstory that has nothing to do with MLP.  I could give him a similar backstory to mine, except in the Equestrian world, but something about that idea bothers me.  I sometimes wish I wasn't so complicated. ^^;

Edited by Harmony 13
  • Brohoof 1

In all honesty, Red Star is a direct opposite to Trixie and I wanted him to be a perfect partner for her. He serves no other purpose. No backstory or anything. Of course, he has a unique personality and look, but that's just about it! His story is yet to be written~ He is exactly the same as he was when I first made him and it really wasn't all that hard. I've grown somewhat attached to him, and I really do support this shipping. It's all for fun, but it would be fun to see other people support this shipping. xD I even made a bit of check list to make sure he's a direct foil to Trixie!

Laid back and kind to everyone? Check.

A bit clumsy with magic? Check.

Caring and selfless? Check.

Red instead of blue? Check.

Zero amounts of sass? Check.

Has major hots for Trixie? Check!

Seriously, he was made specifically for Trixie. 

redntrix2.png

Don't they look adorable together though? C'moooon~ Y'know they do!

Edited by Red Star~
  • Brohoof 1

Red Star:

I just have to say: That is so cute. <3 Your OC sounds and looks like a total sweetie.

My OC is a work in progress; I am still developing him and do not even have a picture of him yet.

He is a one-winged pegasus. He was born with two wings and was an excellent flyer, and either lost his right wing in a tragic accident or tore it off after an emotional trauma.

That's all I have so far. Strangely enough, it never occurred to me that my OC could be anything other than a flightless pegasus. No idea why.

Edited by Scream Lucid Dream
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Red Star~

On the colour wheel, Blue is opposite Orange. 9u9

And to ,

Sorry for reviving a somewhat old topic, but I didn't think I should make a new thread when one already exists. Hope that's okay.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to approach writing a backstory for a character. Normally, when I make a character, as I role play them, I get to know them better, and as their new story develops forward, their backstory also develops backwards in my head as well. I like this method because it feels like the characters take on a life on their own and choose to share their story with me; however, I want to role play as my OC in the Equestrian Empire and this requires a full profile first, including the backstory.

I don't like the idea of making up a story and forcing it onto a character, but it seems like I have a choice in this case.

So, how should I approach writing a backstory for an pony OC? I'm not giving much details on my character 'cause I want to avoid being told what the backstory should be. I would just like tips on how to approach it.

I guess I should say where part of my problem comes from. As you can guess, his name is Harmony and he's the pony in my avatar. Harmony is meant to represent me, but I have my own backstory that has nothing to do with MLP. I could give him a similar backstory to mine, except in the Equestrian world, but something about that idea bothers me. I sometimes wish I wasn't so complicated. ^^;

Revive away, friend. :P

Did you read how I made my OC? She was originally a ponysona, and I got her into EQE, so I might be able to help you. :)

I think the trick is not to rush it. Do some role playing in your mind to figure out how your character would react in certain situations. Then just analyze their personality. Their complexes. Their skills...It helps develop things like family life, childhood, cutie mark story, etc.

It works best if you sever your bonds with your Ponysona and let it become its own character. That's what I did, and it helped immensely Once you do that, you have more freedom to further develop personality and backstory in a natural way that also fits into the world of mlp. :D

Lastly, be flexible. Don't let your already-established ideas get in the way of developing new ideas. You'll find it's easier if you don't set anything in stone early on.

I can help you with specifics if you need it. Or you can bounce ideas off of me.

Edited by AmberDust
  • Brohoof 1

@Red Star~

On the colour wheel, Blue is opposite Orange. 9u9

Wait...it...it is?!? ;o; NUUUUUUUUUU!!!

I guess I chose red instead of orange because it compliments blue in a way. I should mention that while he is almost an opposite of Trix, he also serves to be complimentary to her as well. I guess. xD

Revive away, friend. :P

Did you read how I made my OC? She was originally a ponysona, and I got her into EQE, so I might be able to help you. :)

I think the trick is not to rush it. Do some role playing in your mind to figure out how your character would react in certain situations. Then just analyze their personality. Their complexes. Their skills...It helps develop things like family life, childhood, cutie mark story, etc.

It works best if you sever your bonds with your Ponysona and let it become its own character. That's what I did, and it helped immensely Once you do that, you have more freedom to further develop personality and backstory in a natural way that also fits into the world of mlp. :D

Lastly, be flexible. Don't let your already-established ideas get in the way of developing new ideas. You'll find it's easier if you don't set anything in stone early on.

I can help you with specifics if you need it. Or you can bounce ideas off of me.

Well, actually, I already have everything about my character except his backstory.  I have his cutie mark, personality, likes/dislikes, appearance, I even know what his family was like and what spells he uses.  None of it force on him.   

I guess what I should be asking is what makes a good backstory and what should I include.  

I do like your advise about role playing him in my head.  I mean, usually when I make a character, I role play them first until they choose to tell me their backstory.  Yeah, when I write, I like to feel that I'm writing what my characters have chosen to do rather than writing what I want them to do.  You know, that whole concept about characters having a life of their own.

Wait...it...it is?!? ;o; NUUUUUUUUUU!!!

I guess I chose red instead of orange because it compliments blue in a way. I should mention that while he is almost an opposite of Trix, he also serves to be complimentary to her as well. I guess. xD

Red looks better anyway. ;) So no worries.

Although I'm against pairing OCs with canons. >_>

• Brohoof 2

Red looks better anyway. ;) So no worries.

Although I'm against pairing OCs with canons. >_>

Admittedly, I am too! But, as a way to poke fun at my friends, I made this OC to do exactly what they don't like. xD It's understandable though! 

Edited by Red Star~

I guess what I should be asking is what makes a good backstory and what should I include.

Lol that's basically the opposite of your original post, but okay...

Again, it's best to sever your bonds with him as a ponysona when it comes to backstory. Life in Equestria is VERY different from life here, after all.

Try to avoid familiar tropes, and keep melodrama to a minimum. Make sure his personality lines up with his backstory, because in fiction, life should be cause-and-effect.

Other than the advice I've given you/others and the information I've included in my initial summary of how I made my OC, there's not much I can do to help you without more details.

What have you come up with so far? Anything?

Admittedly, I am too! But, as a way to poke fun at my friends, I made this OC to do exactly what they don't like. xD It's understandable though!

Really? But you still named you account after him and all that?
  • Brohoof 1

Really? But you still named you account after him and all that?

Yup, I grew somewhat attached to him after that. I made him YEARS ago. Of course, he's become much more than just a joke now, and he now serves as my main OC. Even IF his original purpose was to poke fun at my friends. 

• Brohoof 1

Lol that's basically the opposite of your original post, but okay...

Again, it's best to sever your bonds with him as a ponysona when it comes to backstory. Life in Equestria is VERY different from life here, after all.

Try to avoid familiar tropes, and keep melodrama to a minimum. Make sure his personality lines up with his backstory, because in fiction, life should be cause-and-effect.

Other than the advice I've given you/others and the information I've included in my initial summary of how I made my OC, there's not much I can do to help you without more details.

Okay, I had decided to post everything I knew about my OC to see if you could help, but, when the time came to post what "little" I knew about his past, I stepped back and realized, wow, I actually do know a lot about him.  I almost have his full backstory.  All I'm missing are a few details here and there.

I guess I was just doubting my writing skills which is something I'm told I do a lot....

Surprisingly enough, however, even though his backstory in Equestria is very different than my story in real life, I still feel that bond with him as my ponysona. Still, I do know that as I role play as him and he goes on to have different life experiences that me, our personalities will eventually take different paths.  I actually think that, even if it's a little, they already have.

I did read about how you came up with your OC.  It was interesting, but I noticed a pattern that completely goes against my style (it's not a bad thing.  Just something I noticed).  You mentioned that you are more of an artist than you are writer, and as such, you shaped and sculpted your OC to what you wanted or needed her to be.  On the other hand, I'm more of a writer than I am an artist, and as such, I want my characters to tell me who they are.  Had I stayed true to that from the start, I would have probably finished his profile already.  I don't think it was your intention, but you did help me figure this out, so thank you for you support.  

Once I finish his backstory, would you check out his profile and tell me what you think?

• Brohoof 1

Sorry for reviving a somewhat old topic, but I didn't think I should make a new thread when one already exists.  Hope that's okay. 

That's way more than okay! I was really hoping this thread would expand because I like hearing how people came up with their characters. AS for me though, I need to stop basing pony OCs off of characters that I already have...

Sometimes, I want to create a fantastically beautiful Alicorn OC who is younger and prettier that Celestia but far more powerful, who is loved by all for being nicer than Cadence is friends with the mane six, has Discord as a boyfriend and is so nice that all of the antagonists and villainous characters reform due to her powers of lurve and are her friends too! Also she has a dark past and is deeply troubled and created Equestria and invented oxygen and light and her eyes can change colour and she is actually a changeling but is albino and therefore the ONLY non-evil changing. And she can poop rainbows. The end.

Just to annoy everyone. :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Once I finish his backstory, would you check out his profile and tell me what you think?

Sure thing. Just PM the link to me when you're ready.

As an added note, do you see the "OC help" link in my sig? I gave a lot of advice to people there who were unsure of themselves, and you might find some of it helpful. :)

Although tbh I don't remember much of it. It feels like it was a long time ago.

Read this quote:

I just discovered the "Ask a Pony" section of these forums, (wow slow,) and I think it's also a great way to develop your character's personality if anypony's having trouble. Also, it's a good way for beginner RPers to get started and learn to expect...well, anything, and roll with the punches.

I just started one up for Amber here if anypony is interested. :P

I consider the context of these threads to be non-canon, (Amber's canon, not the show's canon, btw,) but the answers will be canon.

My opinion is that the best way to develop a character's personality is to put them in situations outside of your control. Even small, seemingly insignificant questions like "who's your favourite princess" can add a lot of insight into your OCs personality--plus it makes a good springboard for potential backstory and world building. Aah, I'm talking like a DM...

But yeah. Try it out!

This was taken from my "offering OC help" thread, and I think some people might find it helpful! :) Edited by AmberDust