Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you hate school/university/college? Why or why not?

An Unknown Pony.

Do you hate school/University/college  

47 users have voted

1. 1. Do you hate school/college/university

• Yes
    • No

The work isn't my main problem with school. The main problem I have are the other students. Most of them are annoying and so unpleasant that I can barely concentrate. Even when they're quiet, I still have a hard time concentrating when I'm around them.

I don't hate school. The work kinda sucks, but, whatever. I have friends there and I'm close with my teachers.

I hate school. One thing that I hate is the people. I'll go in trying to be extroverted and stuff to make people laugh in an attempt to make friends. That usually doesn't end up well. This has made me wanna go into my shell and stay away from people. Other times, I wanna talk to people, but this just makes me feel bad. I don't wanna get out of my shell. I just wanna be alone. When I come out, I just end up being pushed aside. Another thing that I dislike is the classes. I have to learn about a bunch of stuff that I could care less about. I know it's going to help me in the future and stuff, but I still could care less. Sorry.

I was bullied a lot as a kid, and I hated school then... but then I made friends in highschool, and I love them so much! Especially now that I'm in college, and it's essentially always like summer break, I don't have classes 8 hours every day, I just have to go to school every now and then and the rest of my time is free! (Except for work)

I hate homework.  At my old school, there was so much homework.  At my new school, there is way more!  Some nights, I am up past 4am.  Then I have to be out of bed by 7am.  By now, I'm used to being extremely sleep deprived.  I don't even notice anymore.  I am currently a junior in high school.  I hate homework.

(edited)

I hate my school and despise/don't care about all my classes (excluding band)

math- teacher just expects us to know everything

socials-everyone in that class is annoying and loud and the teacher lets them get away with it

p.e.-I am shit at sports. the teachers lets us decide the groups which leads to me having to go with whoever doesn't have a partner or whatever group the teacher randomly assigns me in. teacher expects all students to be able to do chin ups, is extremely preachy, marks you based on the average of the class and a million more things.

band- I guess I like it.., kind of a bore though

I.T- 5 page essays are due every time we do I.T. The class feels a lot more like english because we haven't been taught to do anything with computers but use google docs and how to use tabs and we just write about a company/news story

english-okay class today your gonna write a 2 page paragraph about the differences between ants and ants with red dots on them

science- praise Jesus, here is how stuff works, praise Jesus, this couldnt have been made if God wasn't here. praise Jesus.

french- learn 10 different food items and how to ask for food, offer food etc. test = 70% covered in class, 30% Not covered in class

religion- praise Jesus, atheists are wrong, praise Jesus, Abraham and Moses were cool, praise jesus

lunch- I guess I'm just reading in the library again

I also hate almost every single student who goes to my school. they are all spoiled rich kids who lack discipline. also I cannot stand how all the teachers treat me like im fucking inept just because I don't talk much, despite them marking my average test scores.

Edited by that creepy iguana

Oh with a vehement passion. 

I hated middle & high school. I was so unhappy. I got it drilled into my head that if I didn't succeed there, that I was gonna be a bum the rest of my life, so I was paranoid to keep up decent grades. The rules they had made me walk on eggshells all day long. I was always tired, I hated being around people all day, I was talked down to like I didn't know anything, and not a damn thing I learned applied to life outside those walls. It was so boring too. There was nothing to keep me interested, nothing to show me how this applied to my life other than that I needed to know it. And I got no compensation for my efforts. Not a single dime to show for all the time I invested. 6 years of my life wasted and I have nothing to show for it but a flimsy piece of paper.

Whenever I got home, I didn't want to do anything but unwind and relax. i didn't learn any new skills. I didn't' better myself. It's because of school that I abandoned my passion for drawing. It's because of school I didn't learn a second language or learn to play an instrument. I just wanted to shut my brain off and not think about the day I had whenever I got home. 

I always wondered why I was so unhappy. I wasn't bullied very often. I hardly got in trouble (more on that bit later). My teachers weren't power crazed douches. I wondered about that, until I watched this: 
http://youtu.be/eNnIxNeWcQ0

Looking back, it all made so much sense to me now. I was in a prison. 
prison.jpg

I often wondered what would become of me when I graduated. I was frequently told "Enjoy school while you can, cause real life is going to be a whole lot harder." How the hell was I supposed to make it through life, if I could barely make it through school? For the first time, suicide seemed a very likely possibility after graduation. That was going to be my fate once I got out. 

It wasn't until graduation and the after graduation party I attended, that a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders, and all my worries were gone. Life could wait, or more accurately, start. I didn't have to worry about that hell anymore. And when I took my S.A.Ts I saw opportunity. I attended my local community college and was treated to a different world. The regulations, the lines, the immaturity, the dress code, the horrible food, the intolerance, the despair, was no where to be seen. All I saw were kids my age & older, who wanted to be there, and who were respectful & open minded. I found classes that interested me. I was fascinated by what I was learning. Everything I was told was a lie. Life got better after high school. 

While I was in college, I was tasked by studying other school systems of the world. And I found this: That at the time, America was 17th among the worlds most educated nations, but 1st in speeding per student. There were countries who were doing it with less money but better results. As you would expect, they were countries in Asia, who devoted intense amounts of time to homework. China/Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea making the top of the lists with their six days a week of school, 12 hours of school & mountains of homework.  

But something else I found was the one country who was ranked # 3: Finland. How did they get to this rank? Though less homework, and less hours of school. The teachers understood that the kids had lives to live outside of school. The lessons taught are more for day to day use than a broad focus on stuff that may come up in life.  More so, education as a whole is more highly valued in Finnish society. Teaching is a far more respected profession with better pay. Only teachers from the top third of graduates are allowed positions, so that competitive nature forms the most capable teachers.  

Was there anything like this in america? Anything better than the public school system, that wasn't the ridiculously expensive private or strict religious schools? There was, and I was surprised it existed. So much so that I did a report on it. 

It's called the Sudbury School. Its a style of school that doesn't have classes, doesn't have age stratification, doesn't have report cards & doesn't have homework. The kids themselves dictate what they learn. The are given the responsibility for their own education. Kids of all ages interact with one another and learn from each other. Staff there only act as guides and assistants. More so, the school is democratic. Students and staff all have an equal vote, discussing, deciding, amending & rejecting the schools rules. Through play, interaction with older and younger kids, and pursuing their own interests, students gain their knowledge via experience,  building upon their interests & special talents. Sound familiar?

CMC_smiling_to_Twilight_S4E15.png

So yeah, kids of my generation & onward have had the shortest straw pulled for us in regards to our education, when there were so much better alternatives readily available. And that's what's so sad & vexing about looking back. It could've been so much better, so much easier, so much more fulfilling, so much more rewarding. 

If I ever have kids, this is the type of school I'll be sending them too.

Want to learn more about this. There's more than a few articles on the subject.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/12/no-teachers-no-class-no-homework-would-you-send-your-kids-here/265354/

• Brohoof 2