Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The first MLP Tag Team Tournament - Solar Eclipse are your winners!

TailsIsNotAlone

NOTE: Wrestlemane-ia has ended. The team of Princess Celestia and Sunset Shimmer, AKA 'Solar Eclipse', have defeated Twilight Sparkle and Spike 31-28 to become the first-ever MLP Tag Team Champions!

burning_love__aka_patg__20_by_berylliuma

A big round of applause for our runner-ups, who twice came back from large deficits to make this one of the tournament's closest and most exciting matches.

po1264_zpsdsnxs1x6.png

RESULTS OF ROUND 3

'The Princess & the Dragon', TWILIGHT SPARKLE & SPIKE

def.

'Rock Candy', PINKIE PIE & MAUD PIE (31 votes to 25)

'Solar Eclipse', PRINCESS CELESTIA & SUNSET SHIMMER

def.

'The Page Turners', RAINBOW DASH & DARING DO (31 votes to 25)

(Better summaries than I ever could have written by The Second Opinion and EquestrianScholar. xD )

RESULTS OF ROUND 2

def.

'Sweet Chin Music', LYRA HEARTSTRINGS & OCTAVIA (27 votes to 16)

While Sweet Chin Music scored a fine victory over Death and Taxes in Round 1, they ran into a stronger team that was firing on all cylinders. Spike's fire breath made short work of Octavia's cello, while Lyra couldn't stand up to Twilight in a magic duel and was held down for the three-count.

'Rock Candy', PINKIE PIE & MAUD PIE

def.

'The Whoovians', DR. WHOOVES & His Assistant DITZY DOO (32 votes to 11)

For the second week in a row, the sibling tag team of Pinkie and Maud put on the most dominating performance of the round. The Whoovians' dramatic victory last week could not prepare them for two of the most capable earth ponies in Equestria. Blasted with party cannons on one side and rock-smashing blows on the other, Dr. Whooves ran for a mysterious blue box outside the ring, but found it stuffed full of frosting and therefore useless. Meanwhile, Maud lowered the boom on Ditzy for the win.

def.

'Crusader Chic', SWEETIE BELLE & RARITY (30 votes to 13)

Solar Eclipse proved they were truly a force to be reckoned with here. Overmatched physically and magically, 

Rarity and Sweetie Belle exhausted themselves with attacks that were easily deflected by Celestia. Sunset then 

jumped in and wrapped up both sisters in reams of fabric, which kept them down for the count. The unlikely 

team emerged as the decisive SCW tag champions.

'The Page Turners', RAINBOW DASH & DARING DO

def.

'Anger Management', FLUTTERSHY & IRON WILL (24 votes to 19)

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were hesitant to fight each other, so Rainbow squared off with Iron Will to start the match. She kept the big minotaur off balance with speed and aerial attacks, until she was caught in a bearhug (bullhug?). Dash was in trouble until a hot tag to Daring, whose evasive tactics led to Iron charging straight into a turnbuckle. Fluttershy tagged her dazed partner and called for her animals to swarm the ring. Derpy was overrun by furry interference and almost pinned, but Dash made the save and created a tornado around the ring, depositing Iron Will and all of the animals safely outside the arena. Fluttershy lost her temper, charged Daring, and was taken right into a roll-up for three. The pegasi escaped with another thrilling victory.

RESULTS OF ROUND 1

def.

'The Bad Apples', APPLEJACK & BIG MCINTOSH (25 votes to 22)

There was no question who the more experienced brawlers were in this match, as the brother and sister team of AJ and Big Mac tossed around a disoriented Twilight and Spike for the entire first half of the match! But celebrating early and yelling their signature catchphrase, "how do you like them apples," turned out to be a big mistake.

Spike took a deep breath and divided the ring in half with green fire, buying time for him and his surrogate big sister to recover. Finally using their magic effectively against the the earth ponies, they took control of the match and pulled off a remarkable win. Though their methods (Twilight using Smarty Pants to distract Big McIntosh while Spike massaged AJ into submission) may have been unorthodox, you do anything you can to survive in the MLP Tag Team Tournament!

'Sweet Chin Music', LYRA HEARTSTRINGS & OCTAVIA

def.

'Death and Taxes', TIREK & DIAMOND TIARA (35 to 12)

When Diamond Tiara's attempt to simply bribe her way to victory failed, she tagged in the evil Lord Tirek who quickly drained Octavia's magic. Lyra tagged in and stuffed a milkshake in his mouth to prevent that tactic from succeeding again, then used her magical hands to keep her larger opponent down. This bought time for Octavia to recover, and by the time Tirek tagged Diamond back in, her barrage of insults was soon drowned out by mares' sweet music. When the cold-blooded Diamond realized she may have to wrestle now and get herself dirty, she simply left the ring, hanging poor Tirek out to dry! Oh, the irony! The jailbird was soon finished off.

'Rock Candy', PINKIE PIE & MAUD PIE

def.

'The Wonderbolts', SOARIN & SPITFIRE (36 to 11)*

The Wonderbolts may be a big attraction all across Equestria, but against one pony who eats rocks for breakfast and another who bends physics for the lulz, their thrilling high-flying offense never stood a chance. Maud easily weathered the storm, allowing Pinkie to jump in and assault the weary Pegasi with cake. Spitfire was trapped in frosting, while Soarin caught so much of the cake in his mouth that he couldn't get up and was easily pinned. What a victory for the Pie sisters!

*NOTE: I forgot the exact number of votes in the match but 36-11 was definitely close.

'The Whoovians', DR. WHOOVES & His Assistant DITZY DOO

def.

'Burnin' Love', BRAEBURN & CHRYSALIS (24 to 23)

Just like Twilight and Spike over in PCW, Dr. Whooves and Ditzy were at an early disadvantage against the loud earth pony and his smitten girlfriend, the queen of the Changelings. Chrysalis simply drained Ditzy's love to start the match, and it quickly went bad from there until the Doctor engineered a time loop that caused the exchange to happen over and over. This allowed Ditzy to get used to Chrysalis' tactics and outwrestle her. In desperation, Chrysalis drained the love of her own partner to regain strength, but Ditzy's crazy flying smashed her into the corner where she unintentionally blind-tagged Braeburn. The handsome stallion was pinned before he could yell "Apple-loosa." Love hurts, but time heals all. Zing!

'Crusader Chic', SWEETIE BELLE & RARITY

def.

'I Could've Been a Dancer', PRINCESS CADENCE & SHINING ARMOR (29 to 18)

Cadence's power of love was an overwhelming force at first--so much so that her husband Shining Armor couldn't concentrate on the match. Rarity took advantage by, surprisingly, just plain beating him up. Trying for a cutie mark in sportsponyship, Sweetie tried to help a battered Shining to the corner where he could tag in his wife. However, this effort inevitably went wrong, and the captain of the guard emerged even more damaged from Sweetie's help than her sister's offense.

When Cadence finally made it into the ring, Rarity unleashed her devastating whine to subdue her, then dressed her in a disco ensemble. A humiliated Cadence fled the ring, allowing the sisters to quickly finish off Shining.

def.

'Equestria Gamers', PRINCESS LUNA & BUTTON MASH (31 to 16)

It had been a few years since Luna returned from the moon, but as it turned out, she did not have the strength to best Celestia in a fight again. The two alicorns' magic battle was truly a sight to behold and consumed much of the match, and Luna came out on the worse end. Button Mash's decision to play his Game Colt in the corner was a big mistake, as he wasn't ready for the tag and was quickly subdued by Sunset Shimmer's own considerable magic. The Princess of the Sun and her reunited protege celebrated their decisive victory with a karaoke performance of "Here Comes the Sun," at which point the crowd stampeded for the exits.

'The Page Turners', RAINBOW DASH & DARING DO

def.

'Chaotic Good', TRIXIE & DISCORD (24 to 23)

It was one of the closest matches of the first round, and possibly the best. The speed, grit, and fearlessness of Dash and Daring clashed with the devious, underhoofed tactics of TrixCord, and a more satisfying southern-style tag match was never seen in Equestria. Discord changed physics and the ring environment several times throughout the match, forcing the Pegasi to unintentionally execute their best moves on each other. When Dash attempted to save Daring from some double-team offense, Discord simply teleported her into the Crystal Empire. Dash was forced to fly at top speed in an effort to get back to the Everfree in time to save her tag team partner!

Daring Do fought bravely against the two pranksters, but all of a sudden an enraged Ursa Minor charged in through the stands and chased her away! (Investigation of this incident is still ongoing.) Discord had every confidence in his ability to finish the match alone--until Rainbow Dash broke through the roof and hit him with a Sonic Rain-Nuke. One, two, and a totally awesome, amazing THREE.

'Anger Management', FLUTTERSHY & IRON WILL

def.

'Home Remedies', APPLE BLOOM & ZECORA (29 to 18)

The Pegasus and the Minotaur greatly impressed the audience with their teamwork in this match. Zecora's Poison Joke attack bought her team some time, as the magical plant caused Iron Will to shrink to a tenth of his normal size and speak in falsetto. However, it merely deepened Fluttershy's voice, at which point she said, "no more Miss Nice Pony." The normally shy pony overwhelmed Zecora with holds, dodging the occasional love potion or cutie pox the zebra hurled her way. Zecora was forced to tag out, and Apple Bloom was quickly immobilized by The Stare. The moral of this one was, "don't get Fluttershy mad.

See the 16 teams that qualified and how the matchups came about. This goes in classic tournament style, with 8 matchups in Round 1, 4 matchups in Round 2, 2 matchups in Round 3, and the final 2 teams facing off at WrestleMane-ia!

QUALIFYING TEAMS (PCW):

1. "THE BAD APPLES" Applejack & Big McIntosh - 18 votes

2. "SWEET CHIN MUSIC" Lyra Heartstrings & Octavia - 14 votes

3. "THE PRINCESS AND THE DRAGON" Twilight Sparkle & Spike - 13 votes

4. "DEATH AND TAXES" Tirek & Diamond Tiara - 10 votes

1 vs 3, 2 vs 4

ELIMINATED:

"SCHOOL OF ROCK" Vinyl Scratch & Cheerilee (lost coin flip xD) - 10 votes

"RAINBOW DASH WAS BUSY" Scootaloo & Thunderlane - 6 votes

QUALIFYING TEAMS (FWP):

5. "ROCK CANDY" Pinkie Pie & Maud Pie - 19 votes

6. "THE WHOOVIANS" Dr. Whooves & his assistant Ditzy - 14 votes

7. "THE WONDERBOLTS" Soarin & Spitfire - 13 votes

8. "BURNING LOVE" Braeburn & Chrysalis - 10 votes

5 vs 7, 6 vs 8

ELIMINATED:

"OFFICE PARTY" Cheese Sandwich & Ms. Harshwhinny (lost coin flip) - 10 votes

"VICTIM COMPLEX" Coco Pommel & Gilda - 6 votes

QUALIFYING TEAMS (SCW):

9. "CRUSADER CHIC" Rarity & Sweetie Belle - 16 votes

10. "SOLAR ECLIPSE" Princess Celestia & Sunset Shimmer - 15 votes

11. "I COULD HAVE BEEN A DANCER" Princess Cadence & Shining Armor - 13 votes

12. "EQUESTRIA GAMERS" Princess Luna & Button Mash - 12 votes

9 vs 11, 10 vs 12

ELIMINATED:

"THE PEGASISTERS" Flitter & Cloud Chaser - 8 votes

"MANLY TEARS" Snowdrop & Snowflake - 7 votes

QUALIFYING TEAMS (EEA):

13. "THE PAGE TURNERS" Rainbow Dash & Daring Do - 18 votes

14. "ANGER MANAGEMENT" Fluttershy & Iron Will - 18 votes

15. "CHAOTIC GOOD" Trixie & Discord - 17 votes

16. "HOME REMEDIES" Apple Bloom & Zecora - 13 votes

13 vs 15, 14 vs 16

ELIMINATED:

"DARK MAJIKS" King Sombra & Photo Finish - 3 votes

"POMP & CIRCUMSTANCE" Fancy Pants & Hayseed Turnip Truck - 2 votes

So I thought of something a while ago: hey (hay)! We've got a voting tournament set up like the NFL Playoffs (the Most Attractive Pony Tournament). We've got another one named after the NBA March Madness Tournament. We've even got one named after the FIFA World Cup. But one thing we've never had here as far as I know is:

An MLP Tag Team Wrestling Tournament!  :pinkie:

Ponies plus fantasy wrestling? The chance to come up with the funniest tag teams I could think of? Running my own contest?? I had to try it! I did set a few ground rules for myself, before I got too excited: No Mane 6 teamed together because it's an unfair popularity advantage, and no inanimate objects or non-pony "animals" allowed. (Sorry AJ, you can't team up with Bloomberg, Fluttershy won't be stuck with Angel Bunny, and I love you Rarity, but you can't wrestle The Crab.) 

And a few rules for everypony else:

(1) Some of the ponies teaming up may not be friends or even know each other in canon. But that's okay--we're bronies! Imagine these ponies together, promote them, post pictures of them together (SFW) if you wish! xD

(2) Play nice. We all know these competitions sometimes get intense, but please keep your comments positive. Advocate for your favorite team/s as much as you like, but don't bash the others.

• Brohoof 12

Sounds fun  :lol: Will be following how this goes.

But just as a clarification, wasn't one of the rules that no "animals" are allowed? Opal's still there though, sneaky cat.  :ph34r:

Still, I bet this will be interesting  :wub:

• Brohoof 1

Hey, good to see you again Jamza! 

Sounds fun  :lol: Will be following how this goes.

But just as a clarification, wasn't one of the rules that no "animals" are allowed? Opal's still there though, sneaky cat.  :ph34r:

Still, I bet this will be interesting  :wub:

You're right!  :wacko: Well, I can hardly start off the tournament by breaking one of my own rules, so...last minute change! Photo Finish has now jumped in for Opal. (Too bad...Rarity's cat could be a much more dangerous competitor if threatened!)

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure to understand what's going on here, except that Tirek & Diamond Tiara team gets my vote.

Basically it's all about teams and which ponies you think are the coolest and most entertaining combinations. I separated them into different "companies" to keep things organized, and only 4 of the teams from each company will make it to the real tournament. Like Lelouch in the M.A.P. Tournament, where he has an introductory round to decide which ponies will get in--this is the same idea.

I had a lot of fun just coming up with all the tag teams. :derp: Button Mash? The perfect partner for Gamer Luna! Fancy and Hayseed? The ultimate odd couple. And it seems Sunset Shimmer is friends with Princess Celestia again after turning face.

• Brohoof 1

Lyra and Octavia! The dream team has been realized!  :yay:

I do have high hopes for Pinkie & Maud and Fluttershy + Iron Will. 

And I feel like there's a good team name in there for the Pie's, it's just not coming to mind right now...  :huh:

• Brohoof 2

Do you know what would be Twilight Sparkles perfect finisher?

The shining Wizard. XD

shiningwizard.gif

• Brohoof 2

Lyra and Octavia! The dream team has been realized!  :yay:

I do have high hopes for Pinkie & Maud and Fluttershy + Iron Will. 

And I feel like there's a good team name in there for the Pie's, it's just not coming to mind right now...  :huh:

Rock Candy?  ;)

A few other names I thought up...

Vinyl Scratch & Cheerilee: School of Rock

Cheese Sandwich & Ms. Harshwhinny: Office Party

Princess Luna & Button Mash: Equestria Gamers

Flitter & Cloud Chaser: The Pegasisters

Any ideas for Trixie and Discord? 

• Brohoof 1

Rarity and Sweetie Belle the sister duo in action.

Lyra and Octavia!

Favorite background ponies together awesome, I'm pleased we are doing another tournament so many good pairings this should be fun. 

• Brohoof 1

Guess which team is kicking the most flank so far?  ;)

14 votes! When somepony tries to block, we'll show them THAT WE ROCK!!!

Yes...but, um, we should probably finish our shopping before the competition starts.

Oh, right. Er, what are these...things again?

They're called fruit, Iron, and they're very good for you.

po1218%20%20we__re_making_banana_sundaes

• Brohoof 2

Hey, good to see you again Jamza! 

You're right!  :wacko: Well, I can hardly start off the tournament by breaking one of my own rules, so...last minute change! Photo Finish has now jumped in for Opal. (Too bad...Rarity's cat could be a much more dangerous competitor if threatened!)

Heh  :P I agree, Opal could... deal some real damage  :please:  Would that mean instant win though? I don't think anyone's beaten Opal like ever in the show. If you don't count Tank ofc.  B)

• Brohoof 2

Heh  :P I agree, Opal could... deal some real damage  :please:  Would that mean instant win though? I don't think anyone's beaten Opal like ever in the show. If you don't count Tank ofc.  B)

What about Fluttershy's and her stare? surely Opal couldn't stand up to Fluttershy's stare. 

• Brohoof 2

What about Fluttershy's and her stare? surely Opal couldn't stand up to Fluttershy's stare. 

Well of course not, but I highly doubt Flutters would use her stare in a competition like this  :blush: It's not a survive or die situation after all  :squee:

• Brohoof 1

Kind of a silly thing to debate, but seriously, how does nobody want Bulk Biceps to be a pro-wrestler? He was practically born to play the role. And pairing him with Snowdrop? You could have a great Finlay and Hornswoggle-type team right there!

Think about it...

img-3509911-4-thumb.jpg

img-3509911-1-590225.jpg

img-3509911-2-tadpolesplash.jpg

img-3509911-3-finlayhornswoggle_widescre

Edited by The Second Opinion
  • Brohoof 4

I voted for them too, but they won't make it in at this rate. Poor Snowdrop. 

img-3512182-1-thank_you___snowdrop_by_ne

Just one more day of voting left until the real tourney begins. I may to have to flip a coin to break some of these 4th-place ties!  :lol:

EDIT: End Qualifying Round...begin Round 1 and the head-to-head matchups we've all been waiting for! This is the busiest round of the tournament! 16 teams made it in...the 8 winners will advance to Round 2.

The battle to take your favorite pony tag team to the championship begins now. Let's get votin', mares and stallions!  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 1

Can I just take a moment to fangirl over those tag team names? :pinkie:

Long story short, I'm a girl who is probably more interested (or at least I was at one time) in professional wrestling than most are, and I probably know more about it than I rightfully should. You named a background pony team after the finishing move of my all-time favorite performer, (IDEK if that was intentional or not) and I just had to vote for them because of that. FYI, I'm talking about Sweet Chin Music. :3

Pulling for the Bad Apples to kick some serious flank here, but there's a few other teams I have my eye on in case they don't make it.

• Brohoof 2

Shame Tirek and Diamond Tiara are probably out in the first round. This thing could use a couple good heels to villainously knock out a few beloved background characters before going down in dramatic fashion to the perfect vanquishers. (The thought of Applejack getting to piledrive Diamond Tiara is hard not to like, while Big Mac vs. Tirek would be a great clash of the strength titans.)

Edited by The Second Opinion
  • Brohoof 1

Can I just take a moment to fangirl over those tag team names? :pinkie:

Long story short, I'm a girl who is probably more interested (or at least I was at one time) in professional wrestling than most are, and I probably know more about it than I rightfully should. You named a background pony team after the finishing move of my all-time favorite performer, (IDEK if that was intentional or not) and I just had to vote for them because of that. FYI, I'm talking about Sweet Chin Music. :3

Pulling for the Bad Apples to kick some serious flank here, but there's a few other teams I have my eye on in case they don't make it.

Oh, the name Sweet Chin Music was certainly no coincidence.  B)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN8ogQVSrt0

Always great to meet another wrestling fan! I started watching it in 1998 and I still like it, though I don't follow it as closely. Any favorite matches you'd like to share with us, Sugar Cube?

I was hoping Trixcord would do better, but after all they are up against two of the most awesome ponies in Equestria. And Bloom and Zecora are doing much better than I thought.

• Brohoof 4

Sweet chin music is definitely one of my favorite of the tag team names like come on its HBK! but really there are a lot of good tag names props to you TailsIsNotAlone if you came up with all of them.  :D

• Brohoof 1