Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Pro-Wrestling Fans Around?

Denim&Venöm

1 minute ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Denim&Venom

Do you think "The Club" will stand the test of time or are they just a fad that will go away in a couple years?

As logn as they don't allow an aging part timer to take the reigns, they should be good. The nWo was a revelation, but it was kinda doomed from the start seeing as their leader was already in his 40s and had worn out his welcome 4 years prior. A guy who wasn't that great int he ring to begin with.

Bullet club is very much a young wrestlers faction. They're line up has rotated a few times so it's still fresh (Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga are the only original members). The performers are very talented. The group is balanced out (at least in NJPW) by other factions. And most importantly, they're fans just like we are. 

As long as they don't make the mistakes of factions past (becoming too OP like the nWo, or convoluted like Aces and 8s), the shoudl be fine. 

Plus it doesn't hurt that their merchandise is actually cool. It's the type of stuff a non-wrestling fan would wear and wear proud. 

• Brohoof 1

42 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Plus it doesn't hurt that their merchandise is actually cool. It's the type of stuff a non-wrestling fan would wear and wear proud. 

You're right about that.

Their merchandise doesn't scream "WRESTLING NERD!" like NWO or Degeneration-X merch does,

which is probably why it's sold at Hot Topic.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

You're right about that.

Their merchandise doesn't scream "WRESTLING NERD!" like NWO or Degeneration-X merch does,

which is probably why it's sold at Hot Topic.

I'd argue that nWo still doesn't scream wrestling nerd. It's pretty subtle.

But yeah, DX, especially the later designs, scream it. 

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

But yeah, DX, especially the later designs, scream it. 

Well, when you have an "Official WWE appearal" tag on the bottom it's pretty obvious. ^_^

Edited by Sparklefan1234

Just now, Sparklefan1234 said:

Well, when you have an "Official WWE appearal" tag on the bottom it's pretty obvious. ^_^

Not unless you cut the tag off. Or you just buy an original second hand like I did. Don't think the majority of people walking the streets even know WCW existed. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Denim&Venom said:

Don't think the majority of people walking the streets even know WCW existed. 

Which, is a real shame, IMO. 

Sure WCW may have been bad at the end but, if it weren't for them WWE'd be the ones in their position.

I think WWE would still be around. Hell, the NWA is still around after what feels like three dark ages. WWE had an audience before WCW. A big one at that. Unrivaled, it would still carry on the campy cartoon vibe until ECW began to show it's influence. Might take longer, but we'd probably have that attitude era eventually. 

But yeah, WCW did force WWE to adapt and get noticed for it. Though these days I'm pretty sure WWE is fairly niche in it's own right. And even during it's peek WCW was only a fad. Kind alike how Lost was a big TV deal, but these days no one talks about it and everyone has moved on. 

• Brohoof 1

@Denim&Venom

So, even if WWF continued down the path they were going in the mid 90's you think they'd still be around? Interesting. 

With no competition, why would they ever leave? Some things are just timeless, no matter how bad they get some times. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

With no competition, why would they ever leave? Some things are just timeless, no matter how bad they get some times. 

True. It's just from the stories I've read/heard WWF was a sinking ship in 1995 & if it weren't for what transpired with the

MNW WWE as we know it wouldn't exist.

Edited by Sparklefan1234

True. It's just from the stories I've read/heard WWF was a sinking ship in 1995 & if it weren't for what transpired with the MNW WWE as we know it wouldn't exist.

Remember, WCW was in a similar place and they adapted. So would WWF. 

• Brohoof 1

Remember, WCW was in a similar place and they adapted. So would WWF. 

I wonder, if both WWF & WCW failed then would we be living in a world of ECW style wrestling where the storylines/gimmicks were good

but, the wrestling wasn't for the most part?

Edited by Sparklefan1234

I wonder, if both WWF & WCW failed then would we be living in a world of ECW style wrestling where the storylines/gimmicks were good

but, the wrestling wasn't for the most part?

I think the NWA would've rose back to power. Hardcore matches would rise in popularity like back yard wrestling did, but just be a fad. If anything, stuff would probably be MMA influenced with the rise of UFC, mixed in a bit with what would've been the NWA glory days. Technical wrestling with good characters. 

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

I think the NWA would've rose back to power. Hardcore matches would rise in popularity like back yard wrestling did, but just be a fad. If anything, stuff would probably be MMA influenced with the rise of UFC, mixed in a bit with what would've been the NWA glory days. Technical wrestling with good characters. 

I think the NWA would've probably done so, as it would've been the most recognisable name in US wrestling still left as WWF had bought up all the rest of the territories that it used to call their own. Being the lone entity in the country would've been a difficult mantra to hold at first, but given time and an unlimited pool of recently unemployed talent at their disposal, they could've really done something with it. Then again. they'd have probably had to adapt their technical and traditional style of wrestling presentation to ensure an audience would come to them, but over time it would've probably seen them return to massive prominence and restore integrity to a once mighty World Championship in the process. As for ECW, if WWF and WCW would've failed, given the financial mismanagement that DID happen with them I wouldn't be surprised if they had gone under as well. The hardcore wrestling bubble burst once the popularity of Deathmatch wrestling in Japan died down and CZW went overkill with the violent concept. ECW's technical side probably could've still done something, but as so many forgot about that and only focused on its hardcore side, I don't think it would've lasted longer than it actually did if the two giants of the industry had already bitten the dust; as I'm sure they wouldn't be able to secure the talent needed to balance things and create a varied product.

The revival of the NWA that Billy Corgan has started this year could lead to some good things in the future for the brand, whether they will be able to rebuild it back up to its pre-1990's heyday, I don't know. We're all just going to have to see where it ends up and whether their first big event is a success.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Vocal Analyst said:

The revival of the NWA that Billy Corgan has started this year could lead to some good things in the future for the brand, whether they will be able to rebuild it back up to its pre-1990's heyday, I don't know. We're all just going to have to see where it ends up and whether their first big event is a success.

It won't be easy, as Corgan now has to be an alternative to the alternatives. There's more varied competition these days, and Corgan's gonna have to find a niche not filled by all the other indies or foreign companies. He may have to buddy up with another organization. Wrestling alliances seem to be the in thing these days. 

post-18785-0-36089700-1490389329_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

It won't be easy, as Corgan now has to be an alternative to the alternatives. There's more varied competition these days, and Corgan's gonna have to find a niche not filled by all the other indies or foreign companies. He may have to buddy up with another organization. Wrestling alliances seem to be the in thing these days. 

post-18785-0-36089700-1490389329_thumb.png

That is true... as wrestling branched out following the loss of NWA's grip on US wrestling, it left them looking quite antiquated in comparison to WCW, WWF/E and ECW, to where letting their biggest affiliate in TNA use the belts was the only way they could keep themselves in the game as that company and its X-Division set another bar to make their belts look legitimate.

While I'm sure many companies would love to have the proud history of the NWA alongside them, knowing how anything that DID partner with them usually had to be under NWA branding imminently would prove an obstacle for some who may want more control. I'm sure that this wouldn't be the case in the modern day environment, as companies acknowledge each other a lot more openly than they used to and Corgan would want to ensure that would change with the times. The question is though, which set of companies would WANT to team up with the NWA? Would it be profitable for them to trust Corgan's vision for them as a combined unit? Hell, even more stark, could Corgan be trusted to help ensure that his NWA doesn't rely too much on talent that other promotions made and foster new talent for their foundations to be built on? Unfortunately they're questions others and myself don't have the answer to until we see it come to fruition.

Edited by Vocal Analyst
  • Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Vocal Analyst said:

That is true... as wrestling branched out following the loss of NWA's grip on US wrestling, it left them looking quite antiquated in comparison to WCW, WWF/E and ECW, to where letting their biggest affiliate in TNA use the belts was the only way they could keep themselves in the game as that company and its X-Division set another bar to make their belts look legitimate.

While I'm sure many companies would love to have the proud history of the NWA alongside them, but knowing how anything that DID partner with them usually had to be under NWA branding imminently would prove an obstacle for some who may want more control I'm sure that this wouldn't be the case in the modern day environment, as companies acknowledge each other a lot more openly than they used to and Corgan would want to ensure that would change with the times. The question is though, which set of companies would WANT to team up with the NWA? Would it be profitable for them to trust Corgan's vision for them as a combined unit? Hell, even more stark, could Corgan be trusted to help ensure that his NWA doesn't rely too much on talent that other promotions made and foster new talent for their foundations to be built on? Unfortunately they're questions others and myself don't have the answer to until we see it come to fruition.

Well Impact is certainly out of the equation, and that takes AAA & NOAH with them. NJPW & ROH worked with NWA in the past, so that avenue is still open, though that was before their respective deals with Bushi Road and Sinclair. 

Maybe work with All Japan Pro Wrestling? Bring them back to prominence. Defiant wrestling is relatively new but they've got a lot of eyes on their product. WXW in Germany is the biggest name in mainland Europe. 

But what might be a crazy idea, is WWE lending a hand. Corgan has name recognition to get them closer to the mainstream, and WWE would love to flaunt the nostalgia of working with wrestling history. Plus they had a brief partnership in the 90s.  HHH would be more up for it than Vince would though. 

• Brohoof 1

37 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

I thought Billy Corgan bought NWA then sold it back for some reason. :confused:

Well Impact is certainly out of the equation, and that takes AAA & NOAH with them. NJPW & ROH worked with NWA in the past, so that avenue is still open, though that was before their respective deals with Bushi Road and Sinclair. 

Maybe work with All Japan Pro Wrestling? Bring them back to prominence. Defiant wrestling is relatively new but they've got a lot of eyes on their product. WXW in Germany is the biggest name in mainland Europe. 

But what might be a crazy idea, is WWE lending a hand. Corgan has name recognition to get them closer to the mainstream, and WWE would love to flaunt the nostalgia of working with wrestling history. Plus they had a brief partnership in the 90s.  HHH would be more up for it than Vince would though. 

Considering Defiant's worldwide reach following on from WCPW's successes, it wouldn't be a bad idea... but due to the recent infrastructure shake-up following the WCPW re-branding; it may be too much of a risk for both companies, especially as Defiant still needs to shake the shackles of its former name away and find stable footing before anything is certain for them. If Triple H was in charge, he'd start the WWE/NWA partnership no questions asked, although I still wouldn't rule out an NWA/NXT one to foster young wrestling talent for both brands to help expand NXT's reach across the country rather than centralised in Florida most of the time, allowing for more talent to gain exposure and learn faster.

2 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I thought Billy Corgan bought NWA then sold it back for some reason. :confused:

Nope, it's fully his. The re-brand has started and events have been organised. Lets hope he knows what he's doing, because as a wrestling fan and a Smashing Pumpkins fan, I want both to succeed, especially after his TNA-run failed in such disastrous fashion.

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

As logn as they don't allow an aging part timer to take the reigns, they should be good. The nWo was a revelation, but it was kinda doomed from the start seeing as their leader was already in his 40s and had worn out his welcome 4 years prior. A guy who wasn't that great int he ring to begin with.

Not to mention a guy with a history of creative-controlling good angles into oblivion (just ask Bret Hart, Yokozuna, etc.).

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Vocal Analyst said:

Nope, it's fully his. The re-brand has started and events have been organised.

Thanks for clarifying, I appreciate it. :)

So, does that mean NWA could get a television deal where more people would be able to see it?

2 minutes ago, Vocal Analyst said:

Nope, it's fully his. The re-brand has started and events have been organised. Lets hope he knows what he's doing, because as a wrestling fan and a Smashing Pumpkins fan, I want both to succeed, especially after his TNA-run failed in such disastrous fashion.

So, does that mean NWA could get a television deal where more people would be able to see it?

He's off to a promising start. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

If the brand manages to gain traction through its events and the quality of its matches and talents over time, then its entirely possible. Then again, there are so many independent companies, especially here in Britain that I'd love to see with a TV deal, and yet they are still having to rely on streaming media and strong event sales and reception for there income.

Then again, to have the weight of the NWA's vast tape library and appeal to certain sections of the Wrestling Fraternity worldwide through name value alone would make things a LOT easier if a media benefactor were to swoop in. However, it is all about how much impact they can make, because if they get it right and promote themselves, getting the internet talking, it could happen.

Hell, the quality of the videos @Denim&Venom notes above should be a sign that they will have no problem attracting attention if all their ducks are lined up in a row.

• Brohoof 2