Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people make a big deal over the Analysis Community?

Odyssey

One of the things I want to contribute in the fandom is analysis. I'm always intrigued by other people reviewing the episodes and pointing out the flaws of something, as I like to see a show get better.

Yet again, I'd rather not to, thanks to the stigma that all analysers are nitpick-y and pretentious. Sure, some analysers like Bronycurious and Digibro aren't the greatest, but honestly, there is more than these two. Usually, I try to figure out how and when to plan a realistic review of MLP:FiM, but it isn't easy without thinking of these stigmas.

I guess my main point is this: why do some people antagonise the Analysis Community? Is it really that bad to review a show simply because you want to see better from it? I'd like your insight.

EDIT: Aw shoot, I forgot the difference between analysing and critiquing. I guess I was trying to talk more about the critiquing side of the fandom. Yet again it's so easy to mix these two up, after how much some of the members of the BAC claim to be analysers. Thanks for the clarification, guys.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 2

I don't have a problem with the analysis community as a whole, it's just a matter of how a decent amount sound like they take their opinion as fact and if you disagree then you're wrong. I don't like reviewers in general since it's better to form your own opinion than think what others do, especially since a lot of reviewers come off as "I'm better than you" which not all do but enough do.

There's nothing wrong with finding flaws in the show, but don't come off as extremely picky at every single detail, especially since it's a kids show and it's not supposed to be a masterpiece. If you review something and don't get actually angry (specifically to the point of yelling since you look like a child) during the review, then you're alright.  

If you want to review, then go ahead, you shouldn't be afraid to. 

• Brohoof 3

There's a difference between simply being analytic and being overly-critical.

A pure analyst is someone who discusses the show on sites like this one, taking the content we have and building more on it through headcanon, as well as reviewing episodes and talking about the pros and cons. A lot of analysts are also roleplayers or writers, like myself. I'd call myself an analyst; I look at the show's lore, characters and storyline and love going down into the details and discussing what isn't shown on screen, and expanding on the universe of MLP for the fun of it.

We 'review' and talk about episodes when they come out of course, but perhaps even more importantly we expand on the lore in-between episodes, to grow the lore and the show past what the writers and animators can put out for us. That's what I'd call an 'ideal' analyst.

A lot of people in this fandom who call themselves analysts however (at least the ones who end up getting popular through Youtube and other mediums) are more along the lines of critics who take themselves way too seriously. They're the ones who get the bad reputation that taints the brony analyst community as a whole, because a lot of them focus more on nitpicking episodes apart rather than giving equal levels of praise and criticism through constructive criticism, and that gets on a lot of people's nerves.

Criticism is great, but over-criticism is obnoxious, in the same way that pure praise with no criticism is unhelpful.

In short, a lot of the famous analysts/critics in this fandom are known for picking things apart, often unfairly or in ways that annoy the rest of the fans, rather than fairly analyzing the good as well as what could use some improvement. If you're going to get into analyzing, be as generous as you are critical with the subject matter, and don't forget that face value does matter. x) That's my advice.

• Brohoof 6

What CD said, basically.

There's a difference between an analyst and a critic.

http://mlpforums.com/topic/45643-symbolism-in-mlpfim-and-hidden-knowledge/

This is a good example of an analysis. This thread provides background information and insight to take a closer look at some of the things we see in the show.

For a critic, well... I don't think I need to explain that one. What critics do is criticize. They don't add any new information or provide any insight. They just say what's good or bad in their opinion. Whether or not the criticism is really founded, it's not pleasant to listen to. -_-

Edited by Admiral Regulus
  • Brohoof 2

I don't hate the analysis community. Some can make very good theories and others can decently critique. But for every good one, there are the ones who cannot critique for crap. Spamming buzzwords such as "OOC" or "flanderization" not even using them in the right context.

I actually DON'T like the Analysis community, not to say that the people are horrible, I'm sure there are nice people in there. I just find it all pointless. I understand if there are a few things in an episode that should have done differently, I feel that way with some of them myself, but to outright call an episode terrible and horrible just because the writers did something different is not necessary. Remember, these are the same writers who have been writing for the show all along, unless a new one gets hired. I know a lot of people hate the episode "Putting Your Hoof Down." and is generally hated by a lot, but I love that episode, not only for the fact it got me into the show, but it's an episode where we get to see how the character would have been if they had an opposite personalty, exempting the season 2 premiere. Also it's a show about Technicolored talking horses, calm down, not everything will be perfect. *Cough* Equestria Girls *Cough* I just feel it's more critics than analyzers from what I've seen so that's just my opinion.

Some people are definitely over-critical, but I think some bronies just can't handle any critique of the show they love. One thing I've heard more than once is that analysts ruin the show for people, the only way that could be true is if they caused them to see actual glaring issues that they had previously not noticed, and those issues were so severe they caused them to want to stop watching. But that's not really the analysts fault for pointing out those problems, it's the problems themselves.

I think a lot of bronies just want to keep enjoying the show, and they'd rather ignore serious problems in the writing so as not to have to accept that maybe it just isn't that well-written after all. But that just proves you care about quality storytelling. If you were so adamant on ignoring flaws in the writing, or didn't even care and just watched the show for mindless entertainment, than you wouldn't be watching or reading mlp analyzing..

Which just tells me that some of you are just really insecure and can't handle any criticisms of this show. Well, those who dislike the analyst community as a whole that is, and not just the overly critical ones.

Edited by Wulfgar Von Heltzer

Personally, I love creative thinking and for the most part, over-analyzing is not a bad thing in any way. However, sometimes, I feel like analysts try just a little too hard to find things about the world of FiM that are simply not there, as if they're trying to uncover the grand mystery behind the hidden brilliance of this magnificent cartoon about magical talking equines which was initially targeted at 7-12 year old girls with the ultimate purpose of promoting a toyline. :huh:  They often get too caught up in their own headcanons, possibly to the point where they believe them to be actual canon, and that's a problem when many of them don't react well to being proven wrong. 

As for analyses of episodes themselves, I know people prefer to form their own opinions but it doesn't hurt to at least take a look at a second opinion, to see if someone possibly picked up on something you may have missed. 

My opinions on them mostly mirror what Chikorita and CD already said, but another problem I have with them is how fans treat them as some sort of "absolute" when it comes to whether an episode is good or not, and it doesn't help that most analysts/critics seem let this get to their heads.

No, I don't give two fucks if Digibrony/BronyCurious/VoiceofReason/MrEnter/etc. said an episode was bad, the only person who decides whether I like an episode or not is myself

• Brohoof 4

I agree with a lot of the statements above. That criticizing and pointing out the flaws of a show that we all are supposed to be celebrating leads to negativity, egotism often in the critic, and often a herd-like cult of personality. In short its not constructive because the creators of the cartoon series don't pay any attention TO the criticism and everyone should have their own opinion of an ep they view. You really don't need to have someone else's opinion become your own as MLP never will really be THAT deep or complex in the first place. If you poke holes in the cannon material it does have a negative effect as a whole. In effect the episode critics create nothing important OR very creative for the fandom unlike the artist, writer, or musicians.

What is really missing in the fandom is reviewers of the fannon itself. We don't have many people reviewing the music, art, and fiction of the community and celebrating the gems in the rough and the people who make them. Instead we have EQD which is just a drive-by spotlight for what is hot this minute. That makes it really hard to create and feel loved when the community is only concerned with what is put out each week and they often barely even comment anymore. It's why so many people from PinkiePieSwear to SGAP to Le Soldat Pony eventually hang up their hats and move on. 

Some people are definitely over-critical, but I think some bronies just can't handle any critique of the show they love. One thing I've heard more than once is that analysts ruin the show for people, the only way that could be true is if they caused them to see actual glaring issues that they had previously not noticed, and those issues were so severe they caused them to want to stop watching. But that's not really the analysts fault for pointing out those problems, it's the problems themselves. I think a lot of bronies just want to keep enjoying the show, and they'd rather ignore serious problems in the writing so as not to have to accept that maybe it just isn't that well-written after all. But that just proves you care about quality storytelling. If you were so adamant on ignoring flaws in the writing, or didn't even care and just watched the show for mindless entertainment, than you wouldn't be watching or reading mlp analyzing.. Which just tells me that some of you are just really insecure and can't handle any criticisms of this show. Well, those who dislike the analyst community as a whole that is, and not just the overly critical ones.

The writing of the show could be improved I think. I miss the days of seasons 1+2 where i enjoyed the episodes more and how i could replay them again and again. I do find a lot more flaws since season 3 and i hate the direction of Equestria Girls. Now should i invest my time in pointing out the flaws of the show (one aimed again for a younger audience and NOT adults?) as my contribution to the fandom? Or should we work on celebrating what we LIKE about the show and the fandom?

• Brohoof 1

What I'm about to say will not make sense at first, but lend me an ear.

It's because this fandom has very little analyzers.

"Now Duster you crazy little buzzkill with an adorable OC," you may be saying. "Why are there so many analysis channels on Youtube if there are very little analyzers?" The answer is simple; because they're either critics or nitpickers who think their opinions are fact. Those two things are not analysis. They're opinions.

An analysis would be taking a topic and using evidence from elsewhere to sustain your analysis. You'd take excerpts from other episodes or staff quotes as sources for your thesis, explain why you think that supports your claim, and draw a conclusion based on your research. That's analyzing.

An opinion is "I don't think X was done well because I don't like it" which is what a lot of "analyzers" are really saying when you take out the pretentious verbal padding. There's no evidence except the "analyzer's" personal opinion and honestly; who cares? A lot of analyzers bill their opinions as fact but they're not. And a lot of these also are excessively hairsplitty and minute that you actively have to TRY to not like something. It eventually gets to the point you're asking why anyone would care.

This is why I live my life by the MST3K mantra; "Just repeat to yourself it's just a show and should really just relax."

Also I cared enough to write lots of words at midnight. Enjoy.

• Brohoof 1

I like most of the analysis community, however, there are a few bad eggs who either take things too far, or just plain clearly rag on some episodes, and really don't care anymore. 

*cough*Digibrony*Cough* At least Tommy Oliver owned up and admitted that he might be a little harsh. That's something I respect. Not to mention his love for Rarity is only matched by ghostie.

They have turned into a circle jerk, especially since KP.

What do you mean, with KP? You mean IloveKimpossibleAlot?

The writing of the show could be improved I think. I miss the days of seasons 1+2 where i enjoyed the episodes more and how i could replay them again and again. I do find a lot more flaws since season 3 and i hate the direction of Equestria Girls. Now should i invest my time in pointing out the flaws of the show (one aimed again for a younger audience and NOT adults?) as my contribution to the fandom? Or should we work on celebrating what we LIKE about the show and the fandom?

I don't see it as a waste of time to point out flaws, you shouldn't ignore the negatives. If there's a serious problem with the show's writing, then that needs to be pointed out. Focus on the good AND the bad.

• Brohoof 1

I don't see it as a waste of time to point out flaws, you shouldn't ignore the negatives. If there's a serious problem with the show's writing, then that needs to be pointed out. Focus on the good AND the bad.

But we have loads of threads on here about all kinds of things we don't like or question in the show. It's a forum and we speak our mind and that isn't always positive. Why some people think they need an entourage and a loudspeaker to broadcast their own views I don't understand. An opinion isn't creative, more important than anyone elses, or an artform to highlight on a channel. Your still criticizing a cartoon series that's still intended for a younger audience. :D Who's fault is that?

Plus pointing out the negatives doesn't lead to fixing the problem. Hasbro's creative crew isn't paying attention to what any of the analysis community are saying or changing to make bronies happy...they are making plans for more Equestria Girls merchandise.... The problems continue. As there are no new episodes for quite awhile i don't see that there should be analysis community activity anyway so it's a moot point.

I think the problem people have with them is that they don't like having this show criticized. People tend to like having their opinions confirmed and when Digibro or someone goes into a deep analysis of things they don't like about an episode it probably throws people off and frustrate them.

Tommy Oliver actually made a really good video on this subject a few months back.

I can relate my own personal experience with this phenomenon. Back last year I was new to the show and I found myself under attack from anti bronies left and right. I loved positive reviews and analyses of episodes, because it made me feel better about watching the show. However, seeing people critique things that I hadn't really noticed or didn't bother me really upset me for some reason.

Now things are different with me. I have no problem with people pointing out negative things in episodes, because I don't feel obligated to agree or disagree with them. I more appreciate the effort and thought put into these reviews than the actual opinions themselves. People like Digibro and Drowning In Horseshoes are my favorite reviewers now because of this. I don't always agree with them, but I'm really impressed by the way they present their opinions.