Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions Thread Gravedigging

SnuggleTrumpet
Go to solution Solved by Princess Periwinkle,

I couldn't find anything in the FAQs regarding this topic.  I've been poking around the forums a bit and, upon using search to make sure I don't double post, I found a thread that was relevant to the topic I wanted to post about (what was your first episode).  Unfortunately, the last post was dated July 2014.  If I post, it won't be on a topic that is severely outdated... everypony's response will stay the same since the first time they've posted on the thread.  I wanted to know if there was any rules regarding thread gravedigging before I posted in it... or is it best just to start a new thread?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ST

• Brohoof 1

Reviving old threads is allowed, and actually encouraged :) There's a section about it here that goes into more detail, which I'll quote here very quickly-

That said, there's three points we'd like all members to be aware of when 'reviving' old threads:
  • Be sure what you're adding is worthwhile content. If all you have to add is a sentence that doesn't bring a whole lot to the table, it's most likely not worth bumping the thread over. Reviving threads is great, but at the same time, bumping too many of them for no good reason clutters the front page of the forum you're posting in.
  • Refrain from bumping threads that don't need to be bumped. Some discussions are everlasting, and can be posted in regardless of date. Topics like 'Favorite pony', for example. There are other threads, like many of the 'news'-esque threads that discuss things only important at the present time, of which don't need to be bumped, because the thread becomes obsolete after it's no longer current. Just think to yourself, 'can posting in this really garnish any more worthwhile discussion?' while venturing through old topics.
  • Please do not revive old threads in the Welcoming Plaza. This is the only forum we do not allow users to bump in, as there is simply no need to do so.

So for that topic you found, it's okay to revive it, and I've noticed that when a new thread about the same subject is made, it tends to get merged by the moderators into the older thread, so reviving it is probably the better option here. Topics that have been inactive for more than a year old have been revived successfully and without penalty, so a thread only inactive for a matter of months should be fine. :)

• Brohoof 2

I couldn't find anything in the FAQs regarding this topic.  I've been poking around the forums a bit and, upon using search to make sure I don't double post, I found a thread that was relevant to the topic I wanted to post about (what was your first episode).  Unfortunately, the last post was dated July 2014.  If I post, it won't be on a topic that is severely outdated... everypony's response will stay the same since the first time they've posted on the thread.  I wanted to know if there was any rules regarding thread gravedigging before I posted in it... or is it best just to start a new thread?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ST

and others sufficiently covered this in their answer so I will close it out. 

• Brohoof 1