Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there such thing as "perfection?"

Overdrive

Is there such thing as "perfection?"  

32 users have voted

1. 1. Is there such thing as "perfection?"

• Yes
    • No

This sums up my beliefs on perfection perfectly.

That reminds me of a character from a book called "The Great Divorce", something about not wanting to reach the ultimate perfect end but wanting to stay in an eternal chase for the end...I think I just want to reach the end myself lol. I can't wrap my head around the idea of having a goal and not wanting to achieve it at the same time.

Edited by Moonlight Sapphire

I dont think there is such a thing as perfect as in nothing wrong with something that is a real physical thing.

Every living being will have a flaw, everything we build or make will have a flaw, it is just the way things work at this current time.

@, I think you should read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Not only is it generally a good read, it explores the concept of what we mean by "quality". You might find some answers to your questions in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Math is perfect~ ^^

Really, though, I don't think anyone or anything can be perfect, although it kinda depends on your definition of the word.

Perfection is a machination of the mind. Speaking in objective reality, there is no such thing on Earth or anywhere in the universe. For instance, measure a circle like this one:

img-3669326-1-MorticeStep11207.jpg

If you were to measure its eccentricity to three decimal places, you'd probably get 0.000. But if you were to go even further, eventually you would more likely than not get an error of some kind eventually, like 0.00000000000000000000001 or 0.00000000000000000000000009. We don't care, because it looks perfect to us.

That's because we have an idealism as to what is absolutely acceptable without change. That's what perfection truly is. 0.000 is perfect because it's good enough without us desiring to change it. We don't care if we go deeper and find a 1 or a 9 or some other number in there somewhere.

We use "perfect" loosely and subjectively to define what we imagine to be absolutely correct and require no change. Being subjective rather than absolute, the idea of perfection varies depending on who you're talking to. Thus, "perfect" isn't "perfect". As a concept, it fundamentally contradicts itself, thus it can't be true.

(edited)

A couple other people already beat me to it, but I'm'a toss in my two cents anyway.

There is such a thing as perfection—true, objective, comprehensive, unbounded perfection—but there is only One to whom perfection can rightly be attributed, and that is God. Perfection is more than simply without flaw; it also indicates absolute completeness and sufficiency and wholeness, as well as total objectivity. And considering that no human can experience and oversee all that is, was, and will be for all time, no human has the ability to be truly objective. There is only One who is truly objective: the One who created all that is, was, and will be, who Himself has no beginning and no end, from whom and through whom and to whom are all things.

Edited by Henny Penny Benny

• 7 years later...

Starlight is always going to be my favorite pony, but you asked for perfect lol, I will spare you all the existential woe if an unreadable wall of text and answer reasonably 

BEHOLD:

8848b2d4a1ecf9259e98c0ee758cd686.jpg