Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hasbro wants to make another brony phenomenon out of Care Bears?

Vox

Saw something like this on Equestria Daily.

Is this true? does Hasbro have faith in this? Has it already began to happen?

I've seen screenshots of the show, definitely not my cup of tea.....not a big fan of much CGI as it is.

• Brohoof 3

Hasbro may want it to happen, but that doesn't mean it will. I just can't see grown men being fans of Care Bears ( but then again, I never thought that grown men would be fans of My Little Pony, let alone myself being one of them). If they plan to get men like myself on board with another "girl's show" they'd have to get it just right like they did with MLP. Men don't seek this stuff out, it has to be so good they find it by accident.

• Brohoof 10

Hasbro may want it to happen, but that doesn't mean it will. I just can't see grown men being fans of Care Bears ( but then again, I never thought that grown men would be fans of My Little Pony, let alone myself being one of them). If they plan to get men like myself on board with another "girl's show" they'd have to get it just right like they did with MLP. Men don't seek this stuff out, it has to be so good they find it by accident.

Agreed, i don't think it's going to happen

• Brohoof 3

The brony phenomenon is something that happend through word of mouth, not something that Hasbro planned. They can't expect another phenomenon with something like Care Bears, just because they try.

Something like the brony phenomenon will never happen again, because it was something special.

• Brohoof 5

Anything can happen, but unlike MLP which has a history that isn't soley rooted in kids, Care Bears seems like it would have a harder time at finding that mixed fanbase.

Saying that, I want to see them try.

Also, I want Bright Heart Raccoon. <3

• Brohoof 7

Something like the brony phenomenon will never happen again, because it was something special.
It's a bit of a stretch to say that. MLP wasn't written for grown men, but it was written to be tolerable. They built a good product, people stumbled across it, and word spread. Another fandom similar to bronies could easily appear again, the problem is that Hasbro is trying to force it. By doing that, they will most likely fail to capture this imagined 'brony 2.0' and drive away the show's primary demographic. 

It's a bit of a stretch to say that. MLP wasn't written for grown men, but it was written to be tolerable. They built a good product, people stumbled across it, and word spread. Another fandom similar to bronies could easily appear again, the problem is that Hasbro is trying to force it. By doing that, they will most likely fail to capture this imagined 'brony 2.0' and drive away the show's primary demographic. 

It's actually what i meant. The fact that Hasbro is forcing it, is idiotic. Things like the brony phenomenon just happen. And just like the Brony Phenomenon, something else can pop at any time out of the ground.

• Brohoof 3

If the show becomes as amazing as MLP, sure. Sign me up as a Beary or whatever the fandom name is.

besides, share bear is best bear

• Brohoof 3

I don't really think it's the kind of thing you can force to happen and if they are trying to target something like that, then I feel they are doomed to fail as they easily seem to forget that Friendship is Magic wasn't created for Bronies/Pegasisters specifically-it was more or less meant to just be tolerable for whoever was watching the show with the intended demographic.

Isn't that why the Brony thing was such a big shock to them in the first place?

Anything can happen, but unlike MLP which has a history that isn't soley rooted in kids, Care Bears seems like it would have a harder time at finding that mixed fanbase.

Saying that, I want to see them try.

Also, I want Bright Heart Raccoon. <3

Funny you mention Bright Heart Raccoon. In the old care bear movies from the 80's/90's my favorite character in the movies was the raccoon. I'm not too interested in the reboot.

I think that Hasbro already tried this once with Littlest Pet Shop and, well, they did gain some traction with it. They didn't get another My Little Pony like they were aiming for but they did get a show that attracted a fanbase spanning multiple age demographics. I wish them luck with the Care Bears reboot, but I think something like the phenomenal success of My Little Pony would be extremely difficult to match, so they may just want to aim for putting Care Bears back on the map. 

I don't plan on seeking this new show out, as I'm just not interested in finding more things to watch right now, but if someone wanted me to try it I certainly wouldn't say no.

• Brohoof 3

The Care Bears reboot? That's still on? It came out 3 years ago I don't think it's growing a fandom anytime soon.

While I do agree anything's possible and that it could happen, I do think that since this show's already been out for awhile now that it's probably not going to happen. I mean I've seen the show and I love it, I think it's decent but it's not NEARLY as amazing as MLP.

Also, as a fan of the original Care Bears and seeing the newer versions of it (they had one years ago but it was cancelled thank goodness), I do appreciate the new versions in a way but at the same time, they've REALLY cut out a lot from this new show. They've taken away a lot of the original characters (which I wish they would've kept a lot of the them) added in some new ones (which I do like btw) and completely totally changed the look of "Beastly" which I know a lot of people really loved and a lot of people would hate that about it. I really don't like the fact that they don't have sooooo many of the original characters so that is one thing I find pretty annoying about the show......

(edited)

I honestly don't see this happening.  I think MLP was a sort of a perfect storm, and you just can't replicate that kind of thing.  This vaguely reminds me of Firefly, an amazing science fiction show that got canceled after 1 season.  About a decade or so later that brought back the old cast and created a movie, but despite being written by the same people and acted by the same people it didn't measure up to the serious.  This stuff just isn't repeatable.

Edited by Twilight Dirac
  • Brohoof 2

Oh I loved Care Bears as a child! I remember having the little plushes for them! I think it would be interesting to see where they take this. I hope they don't ruin it. :(

• Brohoof 1

Grown men watching Care Bears?  Now that's just sick and twisted!  What's the world coming to?

Kidding, duh.  But seriously, it doesn't sound appealing to me.  I'm skeptical that it will amount to anything.  I'd be interested in a parady, Apathy Bears.

I remember I used to like Care Bears when I was little. But I doubt it will be like the brony phenomenon. Heck, I think it was pretty much a once in a lifetime thing.