Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

season of Fluttershy's Character development!

Buck Testa

(edited)

dancing_fluttershy_by_moongazeponies-d3f

Can we all just marvel at the amount of Character development that's going on with Fluttershy right now? I remember the Fluttershy of season 1, where she was too shy to even properly greet Twilight or make friends outside of animals. I remember her being timid, indecisive, and having a tendency to bottle anger to the point of viciously exploding on anyone around her. She had crippling anxiety, and to some people she seemed stuck and was only learning the same lesson over and over again. 

Now look at her; She is dishing out the tough love when its needed, she's not backing down from what she believes in, she's fighting her nerves to help her friends, she's leaving the comfort of her home and town to end up meeting a friend that shares her interests in a way no other character has, and just a slew of other things going on that just make me squee with delight.

This is showing a character who was dealing with some deep problems and is OVERCOMING them. She's still shy, but she is nowhere NEAR the bundle of nerves she was in season 1 episode 1, and she's even progressed from the pony she was in season 4 for that matter. 

LOVING this development Hasbro, have all the brohoofs!! 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 14

(edited)

I'm somewhat against this but at the same time everyone comes of their shells at one point in their life like I have.

The reason for Fluttershy to say "Your winter is going to be petless" is because Dash was too stubborn for her realize that Tank will be back in a few months and isn't even a big deal and then to commit serious crimes is another thing like.... seriously?

Fluttershy learned the hard way in "It ain't easy being breezies". Because she had a difficult time letting go of the breezies when RD couldn't wait any longer and made her realize that the breezies have a home and they need to be with their families and to be sent home and not for her own selfishness. She realized that they were right and yeah she cried but sometimes you need to give assertive kindness by telling them to leave but remind them that it's for a good reason for their own benefits.

This is what I put as what it could or actually may relate to that statement. That's just my guess.

I've said this on a topic regarding my opinion of Season 5 and honestly, I'm not that thrilled about this so far. It's kinda disappointing.

Edited by ~SadisticFluttershy~

I'm somewhat against this but at the same time everyone comes of their shells at one point in their life like I have.

The reason for Fluttershy to say "Your winter is going to be petless" is because Dash was too stubborn for her realize that Tank will be back in a few months and isn't even a big deal and then to commit serious crimes is another thing like.... seriously?

Fluttershy learned the hard way in "It ain't easy being breezies". Because she had a difficult time letting go of the breezies when RD couldn't wait any longer and made her realize that the breezies have a home and they need to be with their families and to be sent home and not for her own selfishness. She realized that they were right and yeah she cried but sometimes you need to give assertive kindness by telling them to leave but remind them that it's for a good reason for their own benefits.

This is what I put as what it could or actually may relate to that statement. That's just my guess.

I've said this on a topic regarding my opinion of Season 5 and honestly, I'm not that thrilled about this so far. It's kinda disappointing.

That's your opinion I suppose, though I really don't understand where your coming from exactly. This season has everything I could want, especially the afore mentioned character development. This season's probably going to go down as one of faves of the series. 

In my opinion, I dislike how Fluttershy is changing. I see what you mean though, but I just find her unrelatable anymore. I liked how she was timid and often afraid to do things. I dunno. she just seems very different now and not the same pony I loved. :c

• Brohoof 3

All the ponies have grown since Season 1.  Just contrast Rarity, for instance, in Sonic Rainboom (season 1) vs For Whom the Sweetie Bell Toils (season 4)

More than once, Fluttershy has saved all their butts.  This builds confidence.  As she said in Milli Filli, baby steps, but she is making progress.

In my opinion, I dislike how Fluttershy is changing. I see what you mean though, but I just find her unrelatable anymore. I liked how she was timid and often afraid to do things. I dunno. she just seems very different now and not the same pony I loved. :c

I relate to her more now actually. I used to be shy as all get out, back when I was in the closet, but as I really accepted who I was I found my voice and my way of being able to handle the world. I'm not perfect at it or anything, but I'm better than I was. Same goes for fluttershy, she's growing and maturing. Its a good thing! Its what continuity is all about. 

• Brohoof 3

I relate to her more now actually. I used to be shy as all get out, back when I was in the closet, but as I really accepted who I was I found my voice and my way of being able to handle the world. I'm not perfect at it or anything, but I'm better than I was. Same goes for fluttershy, she's growing and maturing. Its a good thing! Its what continuity is all about. 

I understand that ;u; I guess I just haven't developed like you two have yet so it kinda seems strange to me >u<"

I understand that ;u; I guess I just haven't developed like you two have yet so it kinda seems strange to me >u<"

Never to late to start! It just takes some struggle and stepping out of that confort zone, which Flutters had been doing in spades for four seasons prior to this. 

• Brohoof 2

This is one of those cases where I am not sure what the fandom really wants. I have heard some complaining that Rainbow Dash has learned nothing in the whole show because of the events in Tanks for the Memories and then I have seen people saying that Fluttershy isn't very likable anymore because she is not as shy or scared as she was. Consider me all sorts of confused.

Me personally I love seeing the character development. Seeing the different characters grow and learn different things in different ways, to me, that creates memories to look back on and contrasts to look at. So far this season has done fantastically at character development in my opinion which is one of the reasons I am loving it so far. 

Funny thing is how Fluttershy has apparently improved over this period of time, which I am totally fine with and I like that, but the issues that she had more before, the ones I related with, it seems those have actually gotten worse for me. It's odd.

• Brohoof 5

I also really like her development. But i was fearing that some people wouldn't like Fluttershy anymore, because she isn't so shy and a pushover anymore.

We have alot of  people in this fandom, who are not the bravest people, or are also extremly shy, so seeing Fluttershy was a great for them to feel like that they could relate to her.

I think we should use these kind of developments to look up to them. Like also reaching the goals that these characters accomplished and not feel hatred or jealousy towards them. We all have potential to become something big, we just have to use that potential. Fluttershy used that potential and it's really paying of for her.

• Brohoof 2

This is one of those cases where I am not sure what the fandom really wants. I have heard some complaining that Rainbow Dash has learned nothing in the whole show because of the events in Tanks for the Memories and then I have seen people saying that Fluttershy isn't very likable anymore because she is not as shy or scared as she was. Consider me all sorts of confused.  

Thats just when we take a step back and realize that the fandom is a bunch of people with differing viewpoints and opinions. I see the development as something good and positive, and another person sees it as the worst possible thing. I don't get that opinion, nor do I understand the desire to keep everything exactly the same all the time. Heck if it stayed the same from season 1 I wouldn't be nearly as interested in the show as I am now. 

I also really like her development. But i was fearing that some people wouldn't like Fluttershy anymore, because she isn't so shy and a pushover anymore.

We have alot of  people in this fandom, who are not the bravest people, or are also extremly shy, so seeing Fluttershy was a great for them to feel like that they could relate to her.

I think we should use these kind of developments to look up to them. Like also reaching the goals that these characters accomplished and not feel hatred or jealousy towards them. We all have potential to become something big, we just have to use that potential. Fluttershy used that potential and it's really paying of for her.

Fluttershy challenges people who are shy to step out of there comfort zone, and there are those who would resent that, as evidenced by this particular thread alone. As someone who HAS gone through that development it makes her much more endearing for me. Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes this growth in flutters

• Brohoof 4

Thats just when we take a step back and realize that the fandom is a bunch of people with differing viewpoints and opinions. I see the development as something good and positive, and another person sees it as the worst possible thing. I don't get that opinion, nor do I understand the desire to keep everything exactly the same all the time. Heck if it stayed the same from season 1 I wouldn't be nearly as interested in the show as I am now. 

Fluttershy challenges people who are shy to step out of there comfort zone, and there are those who would resent that, as evidenced by this particular thread alone. As someone who HAS gone through that development it makes her much more endearing for me. Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes this growth in flutters

No problem. ;)

I was also like this for sometime. It got better for me when i got out of school and found some good friends who supported me. That's how i learned to get some selfworth and also how to be confident.

That's what i really like about Flutters current development.

• Brohoof 2

This is one of the changes that should've happened years ago! Following Lesson Zero, Fluttershy's characterization was often either flanderized or reset after every episode. Sometimes you could see her growth, albeit tiny. Other times, her character was in early-season one mode (*cough*Trade Ya!*cough*). The growth she received in the good episodes like Hurricane Fluttershy and the sucky ones like Putting Your Hoof Down, Keep Calm, and Breezies were barely recognized beyond a callback. There's a reason why she's sometimes on the least-favorite character list.

This season, her characterization has really evolved. The only she was scared was during her escape from Starlight's cabin in The Cutie Map, but she had reason to be, and she still went out on her own and uncovered the fraud. Then she told the upfront truth to Dash by telling her Tank won't be with her during winter, and then she gave Discord the chew-out he rightfully deserved. Rather than having her growth reset and later told, we're finally seeing it in practice.

• Brohoof 3

Fluttershy is one of many stellar highlights of season five, and I applaud the writers for adding to her personality pallet.

I love that this topic also touched on the fears I once shared here. Last summer I suggested that Fluttershy may lose some of her charm if not tackled just right. Her timid nature allows for a healthy identification for kids and adults alike who share her shyness. I was afraid making her too brave to ruin the character. Looks like they may have knocked her out of the park instead.

My wife works with kids and teens very much like Flutters, and it takes years for some to start to come out if their shell, even a little. Fans often lament the lack of a realistic portrayal of real issues. Through the almighty collaborative function of art, we have a realistic long game arc with Fluttershy.

My fears were unfounded, she is still timid and kind ... but has a newfound courage. It's been a long road, but the doc tells me it usually is.

Bravo!

• Brohoof 3

I'm fine with ss5 fluttershy. She isnt that timid pony that we saw in ss1 anymore, good job writers. However, i still love the old fluttershy ; ( . Hope her shyness is still there cuz that make i like her in 1st place. To me," Character over-developing " results losing character's charm...

• Brohoof 1

I'm with Dark Qiviut, it's about damn time! And some of you may say she's not as relatable anymore, but she's still in her element. She hasn't gone out of character like in PYHD. She's still being kind and caring. 

I preffered when she was shy like her name suggest. Now she lost her charm and is more generic than Spike

Would you rather her character stagnate yet another season and continue to be a character who keeps relearning the same lessons over and over again? That's annoying, and one of the reasons the CMC really need to get their marks this season. Like I said, she's still in character and represents her element really well.

The massive drop in Fluttershy's popularity does show that the change in her personality is not positive. She was a lot more adorable and funny before, now not so much.

Also need to point out Fluttershy isn't the only one that isn't the same as before. Such as the absence of Twilight's adorkable nature and how she panics way too much (some of it is salvaged just a bit in Griffonstone but still on average she has become a flat character), Rainbow Dash's obnoxious self-worshipping and competitive nature is gone or severely weakened (this was who she was and shouldn't have changed), Rarity no longer has her drama queen attacks or wears ridiculous clothing for inappropriate circumstances, Spike has lost a lot of his sarcasm and his naivety or it's just not highlighted or shown anymore. Hopefully in future episodes where a few ponies make an adventure it's possible to see these personalities rekindle but otherwise... Season 1 was the best.

• Brohoof 1

Fluttershy's been developing ever since season 1. Take Hurricane Fluttershy and Keep Calm and Flutter On as examples. It's only been until now that you can definitively see the growth as well as finally giving her some decent secondary roles, which is something she that made her development seem like a moot point.  Basically Fluttershy's character has always been growing, they've just been gradual. 

Rainbow Dash's obnoxious self-worshipping and competitive nature is gone or severely weakened

Rarity no longer has her drama queen attacks or wears ridiculous clothing for inappropriate circumstances

Wait, so now bad character traits being toned down considerably makes the show weaker? That doesn't make any sense.

• Brohoof 2

Wait, so now bad character traits being toned down considerably makes the show weaker? That doesn't make any sense.

Bad character traits were not really bad to me, they were endearing at best. Those also create problems and then they can have the fun of getting over it.

I was so happy when FlutterShy told RainbowDash how it is in Tanks For The Memories.

She needed to be direct and she did so without cringing in fear afterwards.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Bad character traits were not really bad to me, they were endearing at best. Those also create problems and then they can have the fun of getting over it.

I dunno about you, but Dash being an obnoxious narcissistic braggart doesn't make for a very interesting character, and if they removed that trait entirely, it would have been too soon. And I'm saying this as someone who doesn't mind that trait. The characters need to grow, if everyone of them was the same as in season one, I probably would have stopped watching because character stagnation is not good, regardless of what you might think. 

Edited by Celli

(edited)

I dunno about you, but Dash being an obnoxious narcissistic braggart doesn't make for a very interesting character, and if they removed that trait entirely, it would have been too soon. And I'm saying this as someone who doesn't mind that trait. The characters need to grow, if everyone of them was the same as in season one, I probably would have stopped watching because character stagnation is not good, regardless of what you might think. 

Eh when they grow they all become too goody two shoes to me. Even though RD was my least favorite pony that was who she was and she wasn't a bully or had malicious intent otherwise she wouldn't be on the side of friendship. I guess you wouldn't like the show Friends though because the characters hardly changed only after several seasons they did but they still kept the base. Friends isn't the best example, but shows that kept the character personalities every episode was a treat to me.

Every member of the mane six has a personality that people will experience throughout their lives than look back and laugh.

Edited by cidershield