Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are the show and the comics so different?

Tom Snyder

Doesn't look like they are doing their jobs correctly.

How are they not doing their jobs correctly? The writers from the comics and the show are not working together. If Hasbro were to take content from the comics, that would be copyright. Hasbro doesn't have to work together with anyone; they can do what they please for the whole of the company.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

How are they not doing their jobs correctly? The writers from the comics and the show are not working together. If Hasbro were to take content from the comics, that would be copyright. Hasbro doesn't have to work together with anyone; they can do what they please for the whole of the company.

I'm not saying they have to do what hasbro did, what they did to Rarity in the NMR arc got them knocked down a few points with fans; not their brightest move imo.

Edited by Candy Star

I'm not saying they have to do what hasbro did, what they did to Rarity in the NMR arc got them knocked down a few points with fans; not their brightest move imo.

Thank you for clarifying.

The writers behind the comics probably wanted to try something new with their story archs, so they created Nightmare Rarity. They didn't know what to expect from the fans just like the writers of the show don't know how fans would react to a particular episode. Everyone makes mistakes.

I didn't know Nightmare Rarity was unpopular among fans. You learn something knew everyday. :D

• Brohoof 1

The writers behind the comics probably wanted to try something new with their story archs, so they created Nightmare Rarity. They didn't know what to expect from the fans just like the writers of the show don't know how fans would react to a particular episode. Everyone makes mistakes.

I didn't know Nightmare Rarity was unpopular among fans. You learn something knew everyday. :D

I don't know the ratio of lovers and haters, but i for one didn't like it.

• Brohoof 1

I think NMR has a fair amount of fans; mores than non-fans. However, I think most will agree it was a step down from the Chrysalis arc.

If you want bad comics look for the Rainbow Dash Micro, FF#1, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ponies.

But yeah, as others have said the comic writers are not bound by the same restrictions that the show writers are; however Hasbro still has to give their okay on any comic and they're in touch with the show staff on some matters.

• Brohoof 4

Nightmare Rarity is divisive. That means that there are fans that liked it just fine. I personally have issues with some of it and loved other aspects (that blasted fire ruby scene almost made me a Sparity fan o.O)

However, they communicate with Hasbro, as evidenced by the lack of a Discord Fiendship comic and ... well you'll see. ;)

I also prefer comic Luna over show Luna, so yeah.

They have different writers as others have said and plus they have more wiggle room I think when it comes to what they write about. The comics are more niche than what the show is, so I think that gives them the ability to take more liberties from the show itself.

Why is that? Cause she doesn't get much show time?

The comic portrayal took the 'awkward yet endearing' child-like quality Luna had in Luna Eclipsed and ran with it. The show evolved her closer to a more serene character. Not bad, just different.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Why is Nightmare Rarity divisive? 

It was a little underwhelming compared with Chrysalis arc, but then again, it's the reader's fault for accentuating the negative. I still think it's a decent arc in the pony comic lore 

• Brohoof 1

I think the elements from the comic series should cross over with the main series...I mean the writers should do that. Good idea, right guys?

Well, like several people before myself have stated, it's because of different writers. I feel as if the comics are also aimed for a bit of an older age group than the show is, although the show itself has progressively gotten darker, but I feel like the writers of the comics know that little girls won't be interested in reading comics just yet, so they're allowed to add more things, even lore, into the comics. 

They're different because they share completely different teams using different styles

Why is Nightmare Rarity divisive? 

Some liked the concepts, story, and ideas. Others didn't