Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why didn't anypony bring a plus one in Best Night Ever?

ggg-2

In Make New Friends But Keep Discord, it's stated that ponies that are invited to the Gala are allowed to bring a plus one. (Fluttershy brought Tree hugger, Pinkie brought Maud, AJ, Rarity and Dashie brought the CMC, Discord brought Smooze) But nopony brought a plus one in Best Night Ever. Why?

the real question is why didnt twilight bring anyone

maybe Spike was her plus one? I saw him, briefly. during one scene

No way to know if he got a ticket or not, though, soooo.....

Or she was invited personally, that's my guess.

Except he ended up not going. This is a very good question though.

um, what? He was there, all dressed up when it was happening.

Huh? I could've sworn he ended up going to the donut shop and eating out of depression because he didn't get to go.

Huh? I could've sworn he ended up going to the donut shop and eating out of depression because he didn't get to go.

oh, I thought you were referring to the second Gala. But even in the first Gala (at the end of the Ticket Master), he got a ticket and was giddy about it (though he tried to play it off), and in "The Best Night Ever", he intended to spend time with the mane 6, but they abandoned him, so he skipped the Gala and went to hang at Doughnut Joe's place.

(edited)

the real question is why didn't twilight bring anyone

Twilight actually worked on preparations for the event. She took some of the load off of Princess Celestia, so Celestia could relax and enjoy the Gala for once. Twilight wouldn't need a ticket, being "Staff".

Come to think of it, did anyone else notice that there seemed to be far less Gala attendees in MNFKD than there were in TBNE?

We only saw the interior of one ballroom. The Gala is HUGE, covering many venues throughout Canterlot.

Except he ended up not going. This is a very good question though.

Spike attended! I just made this quick screen capture. There he is, looking quite dapper!

Spike_made_the_scene.jpg

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

Twilight actually worked on preparations for the event. She took some of the load off of Princess Celestia, so Celestia could relax and enjoy the Gala for once. Twilight wouldn't need a ticket, being "Staff".

We only saw the interior of one ballroom. The Gala is HUGE, covering many venues throughout Canterlot.

Spike attended! I just made this quick screen capture. There he is, looking quite dapper!

sig-3798607.Spike_made_the_scene.jpg

Was talking about a different episode. Also the TC did mention the episode he was talking about was The Best Night Ever and not Make New Friends But Keep Discord in the title.

Was talking about a different episode. Also the TC did mention the episode he was talking about was The Best Night Ever and not Make New Friends But Keep Discord in the title.

Oh, I got mixed up. Sorry about that!

Because the 5 were all plus-ones for Twilight. The reason Twilight got two tickets originally was because Twilight was invited and she was given a plus-one. When she returned the tickets, she got 4 more plus-ones... Which makes it a plus-five, but I digress.

Season 1 was the beginning of Twilight's time in Ponyville, the beginning of her friendships and the beginning of Princess Celestia getting to know them. So it makes sense why Twilight was the only one of them invited. It's probably standard policy to give everyone a plus-one to the Gala. However, by the time Make New Friends but Keep Discord came around, the mane 6 had had multiple interactions with the princess, multiple dealings in Canterlot and had basically saved the world on a regular basis. So this time, the mane 6 all got their own individual invites with their own plus-ones.

In Best Night Ever, Twilight was the only one invited and everyone was Twilight's guest. In Keep Discord, everyone was invited separately with the option to invite their own guests.

• Brohoof 4

Because the 5 were all plus-ones for Twilight. The reason Twilight got two tickets originally was because Twilight was invited and she was given a plus-one. When she returned the tickets, she got 4 more plus-ones... Which makes it a plus-five, but I digress.

Season 1 was the beginning of Twilight's time in Ponyville, the beginning of her friendships and the beginning of Princess Celestia getting to know them. So it makes sense why Twilight was the only one of them invited. It's probably standard policy to give everyone a plus-one to the Gala. However, by the time Make New Friends but Keep Discord came around, the mane 6 had had multiple interactions with the princess, multiple dealings in Canterlot and had basically saved the world on a regular basis. So this time, the mane 6 all got their own individual invites with their own plus-ones.

In Best Night Ever, Twilight was the only one invited and everyone was Twilight's guest. In Keep Discord, everyone was invited separately with the option to invite their own guests.

This actually makes sense, I think!

I imagine there was a plus-one policy on the first Gala's tickets; it's just that with Twilight's ticket, she had five ponies to choose from. Even with the second ticket and if they had chosen to "plus-one" two others of the mane six, there'd still be two friends still not going to the Gala. Even when everypony got their own tickets, who were they gonna take?

Everypony, including Spike, got a ticket; so all of Twilight's friends are covered. Applejack and Rarity probably thought Applebloom and Sweetie Belle were too young; not to mention the CMC weren't formed yet so they probably thought the Gala would be too boring for them with no one else their age. Applejack went with the express intent to sell food to make money, so Applebloom wouldn't be the best chose as a plus-one. Not to mention, I don't see Big Mac going to the Gala. Rarity went with the intention of hooking up with a Prince, and really; who wants their little sister around when they're trying to score? I don't think Rainbow Dash knew who Scootaloo was at that time, so she wouldn't be her plus-one. Not to mention, Dash wanted to hang out with the Wonderbolts and she'd probably want to do that solo. Fluttershy didn't know Tree Hugger or Discord at that time, who else would she take? Pinkie Pie probably tried to get Maud to go the first time, she probably was only able to browbeat her into going the second time around.

sig-3798607.Spike_made_the_scene.jpg

This SO reminded me of "Where's Waldo?" xD

And Idunno; Celestia was pretty invitation-happy the second time around.  She invited Discord, after all.  Prior to the first Gala, she initially sent only two tickets.  Two!  Despite the fact that Twilight's five friends played an essential role in saving Equestria from eternal night.  The following Gala?  Bring every-damn-body.

• Brohoof 2

And Idunno; Celestia was pretty invitation-happy the second time around.  She invited Discord, after all.  Prior to the first Gala, she initially sent only two tickets.  Two!  Despite the fact that Twilight's five friends played an essential role in saving Equestria from eternal night.  The following Gala?  Bring every-damn-body.

Well to be fair, I don't think Celestia really knew who they were and which of them would actually want to go to the Gala, two just being a default number. She was completely willing to send five extra tickets after all. And I imagine that she invited Discord as a kind of olive branch to show that she forgave him for his role in Twilight's Kingdom.

It was strongly implied when Twilight got her tickets in the first season that she had two, and they were good for one pony each. This was why she was so distraught about who to take. In the end, she simply received more tickets, one for everyone (including Spike).

It seems that in the intervening year, perhaps to avoid such a disaster, the policy of allowing invitees to bring one guest was instituted.

Spike was probably not there as Twilight's +1. As he had had his own ticket the year before, he probably still received one this time.

As for why Twilight did not have a +1, well, she was busy helping organize the gala in the first place so she would hardly have had any time to dance with Flash Sentry.

I think she just likes it when crazy s*** happens at the Gala lol. xD

Don't forget. At least this time Princess Celestia didn't show up NAKED to the Gala! Oh, and speaking of that...

Rarity's reaction to having her clothes vacuumed off was priceless.

vlcsnap_2015_05_16_18h24m48s101.png

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Maybe they just did not have the policy for invites for the Gala back then as they did for this recent one. Things can change after all.

.  She invited Discord, after all

Celestia invited him because he is a friend and should be treated as one, and secondly this particular friend could help liven the party a bit. Maybe she just invited him to mess with Twilight thus hitting two birds with one stone as gar humor and pranks are concerned.

Edited by UnknownFry