492 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

I think it's clear that this episode was made with a very different mindset than usual ones and probably wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It could be said that this may have been the worst episode made, but whatever the case I still very much enjoyed it. If they made something like episode 100 too often it would be bad, but I do appreciate that they at least did it once because it was made with Bronies in mind. In any case, if we do see something like episode 100 again, it probably won't be for another very long time.

It may have been made with Bronies in mind, but it still works as a standalone episode that isn't alienating to the little kids watching.

Edited by Dolphanatic
  • Brohoof 2

It was simply quite un-regal for her...for both of them.  

In Luna's defense at least, Luna Eclipsed was focused on getting her comfortable with shedding the unneeded regal approach. This just makes them a bit more identifiable as characters and at least is in line with a more down to earth (snort) Luna. 

• Brohoof 3

I just hope someone in the cast declares it as non-canon, because some of the things in this episode completely opposed established lore. :/

Would that hurt you so much?

It may have been made with Bronies in mind, but it still works as a standalone episode that isn't alienating to the little kids watching.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if young child who is not of Brony fandom watched episode and thought...

tumblr_m6m1j5P4UG1r5qbjy.jpg

• Brohoof 6

I just hope someone in the cast declares it as non-canon, because some of the things in this episode completely opposed established lore. :/

Just take a page from Who. Everything is cannon ... even if it contradicts. BTW, what broke lore? Did I miss something?

• Brohoof 2

I think it's clear that this episode was made with a very different mindset than usual ones and probably wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It could be said that this may have been the worst episode made, but whatever the case I still very much enjoyed it. If they made something like episode 100 too often it would be bad, but I do appreciate that they at least did it once because it was made with Bronies in mind. In any case, if we do see something like episode 100 again, it probably won't be for another very long time.

Yeah which I honestly don't mind. Much as this nearly brought a tear to my eye, it's like the all star game, it would loose what is precious about it if it became routine. I'm ready to return to the Mane Six doing their thing . . . and that actually being the focus.  ^_^

for those of you who don't know, this isn't a new thing. In Star Trek, very occasionally they would have a "lower deck episode" focusing on the adventures of normally unnamed Enterprise crewmen with perhaps the main cast popping in or having their conflict go on in the background. It's a perspective flip. Again, it's refreshing to focus on the people who run things "off camera" and see the heroes we normally follow through their eyes, but it would become tiresome as the norm.

• Brohoof 1

(Seriously, how did Discord leave the Twilight scepter lying around for over a season? It makes no sense!)

That really was my only major issue ... though I did smile as I was shaking my head.  

• Brohoof 1

What did? Everything seemed fine to me during the first watch.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Just take a page from Who. Everything is cannon ... even if it contradicts. BTW, what broke lore? Did I miss something?

Just the whole feel of Doctor Hooves's sciencey things, Bonbon's secret identity, and the appearance of the Changeling felt out of place. Not to mention Gummy. :P Although that part was funny.

Edited by AmberDust

n Star Trek, very occasionally they would have a "lower deck episode"

TNG ... that Season Seven episode ... so much love. Lower Decks.  Great analogy

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, because lore is important. If the show isn't consistent, I have a hard time enjoying it.

Seriously, this show was never 100% consistent in the first place. This is mostly an episodic slice of life show in the first place. If you expect incredibly deep lore from this show, you will have a bad time.

• Brohoof 3

Don't get me wrong though--I love the idea of an episode that focuses on background characters--but I would have liked it more if they had come up with these characters themselves instead of just copy-pasting the fandom into an episode. It felt...insincere?

Seriously, this show was never 100% consistent in the first place. This is mostly an episodic slice of life show in the first place. If you expect incredibly deep lore from this show, you will have a bad time.

I don't expect "incredibly deep lore", I just expect consistency. ^^'

Yeah, because lore is important. If the show isn't consistent, I have a hard time enjoying it.

I can understand where you are coming from though. This episode did seem to stray very far from the main storyline of the rest of the show. I could almost consider this episode to be in the likes of the fan-made "Sonic Ranboom" episode. In someways myself I see this episode just as a animated fanfic of sorts. 

I enjoyed it nonetheless though :3

• Brohoof 1

Just the whole feel of Doctor Hooves's sciencey things, Bonbon's secret identity, and the appearance of the Changeling felt out of place. Not to mention Gummy. :P Although that part was funny.

How is any of that counter to established lore? The only thing is that New did a brit accent this time, but an accent change isn't exactly lore. I can understand if they did something that went against previously established dragon cannon, but none of that came into place. 

• Brohoof 2

Erm...

The cameos WERE the plot. -_-' 

No, the cameos were treated as cameos and the plot was acknowledged as the plot. In Double Rainboom (and unfortunately, Tanks for the Memories to a lesser degree), forced Internet memes slowed the story down to a screeching halt. I don't recall the Powerpuff Girls ever stealing the show in Slice of Life. There was still plenty of good storytelling in the episode. In case you've been living under a rock, the main storyline is about Cranky Doodle and his soon-to-be wife trying to arrange their wedding a day earlier than it was originally planned, due to a typo in the invitation. This is where Derpy and the rest of the background ponies come in.

Do they ever?

It's not the first time an episode brings contradiction to the established lore.

BTW: what was it this time?

I didn't find the sciencey things out of place at all. Are you saying ponies can't be spies and what not? D: And I think that Changeling made perfect sense and might of even been a reference to the canterlot wedding. 

How is any of that counter to established lore? The only thing is that New did a brit accent this time, but an accent change isn't exactly lore. I can understand if they did something that went against previously established dragon cannon, but none of that came into place. 

I...don't quite understand what you just said. What about dragons? ^^'

I guess I'd better elaborate.

Dr. Whooves's science lab felt out of place in the world of magic where the most advanced thing we've seen was a steam-powered apple-picker.

Bonbon being a secret agent hiding her identity per Celestia's orders felt out of place, and didn't quite make sense, seeing as Celestia could have easily offed that monster.

A Changeling (who have only appeared once, as evil creatures who eat love,) having been invited to a wedding felt VERY odd. Like, seriously odd. Last time we saw changelings, Twilight was blasting them to bits. I bit of explanation would have been nice. ^^'

I guess I would rate this episode as a very, very good fan-animation.

No, the cameos were treated as cameos and the plot was acknowledged as the plot. In Double Rainboom (and unfortunately, Tanks for the Memories to a lesser degree), forced Internet memes slowed the story down to a screeching halt. I don't recall the Powerpuff Girls ever stealing the show in Slice of Life. There was still plenty of good storytelling in the episode. In case you've been living under a rock, the main storyline is about Cranky Doodle and his soon-to-be wife trying to arrange their wedding a day earlier than it was originally planned, due to a typo in the invitation. This is where Derpy and the rest of the background ponies come in.

Okay, there's no need to get hostile!

I think we have two very different definitions of the word "cameo", that's all.

Even the fanfic writers got some nods, with the sheer amount of shipping fuel going through the roof! The writers were definitely teasing the shippers
Well, you know how it goes: First somebody creates something interesting; then a meme spreads out of it; then it's all over the internet; then it gets old and everyone is sick of it.

And then it gets mentioned in the oficial media.

• Brohoof 1

Well, you know how it goes: First somebody creates something interesting; then a meme spreads out of it; then it's all over the internet; then it gets old and everyone is sick of it.

And then it gets mentioned in the oficial media.

Haha Exactly! 

As much as I appreciate the cameos and shout-outs, I think they could have done a lot better with this episode. Especially the pacing.

I might have cared about Doctor Hooves and the others if they each had enough screen time to really develop as characters... If you don't read fanfics, this episode doesn't really do anything for you.