Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can you handle spicy food?

TOMahwk

144 users have voted

1. 1. Can you handle spicy food?

• Yes
    • Nope

I absolutely love spicy food, I literally will put hot peppers in any pasta dish that I eat hell I've even ate peppers on their own, right straight out of the jar, and oh man do I ever love some nice and hot chicken wings, I always order the spiciest sauce that they've got for them.

I can handle spicy as long as it doesn't overpower the flavor of the food itself. For example, at Hurricane Wings, I ordered their Ridiculously Hot Wings (currently their only category 5, since they downgraded their Habanero Lime Rub to Category 3), and that stuff was almost unbearable. I had to drink about 6 waters, and since it was a sauce the water just spread the burn around. Since then, I stay with the habanero rub, which, while definitely spicy, still retains its flavor.

I do enjoy sampling various hot sauces, though.

• Brohoof 1

I loooove spicy food. Especially when it has genuinely good flavor, not just raw heat. I love the flavor of jalapeños and various other spices, and most "spicy" food at restaurants aren't really all that spicy to me. I've certainly had foods that have been too spicy for me, but they're few and far between.

Also, PROTIP: Don't try to drink water to cool down your mouth after you eat something spicy. The spiciness of the food is within the oils of the peppers, which aren't washed away when you drink water (in fact, it can make the burn worse). Drink something like milk instead - the enzymes in milk can help break down the oil.

I loooove spicy food. Especially when it has genuinely good flavor, not just raw heat. I love the flavor of jalapeños and various other spices, and most "spicy" food at restaurants aren't really all that spicy to me. I've certainly had foods that have been too spicy for me, but they're few and far between.

Also, PROTIP: Don't try to drink water to cool down your mouth after you eat something spicy. The spiciness of the food is within the oils of the peppers, which aren't washed away when you drink water (in fact, it can make the burn worse). Drink something like milk instead - the enzymes in milk can help break down the oil.

He ain't lyin'!  The seeds and ribbing of a pepper is what holds the hotness.  A raw jalapeno eaten whole will be way spicier than pickled slices!  The water washes right over the oils and even spreads the oils to other parts of your mouth.  Gas on a fire.

Milk or beer... mostly beer.

Yea, yes, ya. I love me some spicy hot sauce, or some peppehs. Growing up in a Portuguese house you learn to love spice. More then anything else though, eating more then physically possibru.

Boy, that would have been good info to have then. Still, I survived that escapade intact, wiser for the experience. I did find out that if you burn your tongue thanks to too-hot food, table sugar will help stop the pain.

If you like spicy, something I like to do is add some cayenne pepper to some alfredo sauce for pasta, and it's very good. Frank's Red Hot on steak is also pretty awesome, as well.

OK I am made a liar by my friend because she says if I don't eat the leftovers of her vegan shepard's pie (im not a vegan but her cooking is awesome) she won't cook for me again.  And Celestia help me its good so I guess I'll just top it with sriracha?

Ok there's two levels of spiciness we need to acquaint ourselves with. The first level is the amateur level, the baby level. That's white man's spicy. When I go to Western restaurants that say their food's spicy, I taste it and it's nothing near spicy. The other level of spicy is the exotic spicy. Mexico, India, Indonesia, you name it. That's real spice, but too bad I can't handle that :(

If there were a spicy food scale from 1-10 (meaning 1 is not spicy at all to 10 being the equivalent of eating a ghost pepper), I am probably at around a 4. I can eat certain spicy foods, but I prefer most of my meals not to be spicy. 

The amount of spicy food that my body can handle is probably the equivalent to Twilight drinking the hot sauce LOL ohmy.png

I would say that I like a decent amount of spice. I'm not as brave as some people,but I'm not going to shy away from spiciness either. 

As a point of reference, when I go to Hooters I always order the wings covered in 3 Mile Island sauce (their second hottest) with some 911 sauce (their hottest) on the side.  But I've heard their spices are relatively tame compared to the wings at some other places...

Eh not really, I'm pretty sensitive to alot of spices really and tend not to be able to handle much of anything hot, I'm probably more of the least tolerant of it in my family.

I wouldn't say this is a yes or no type of thing really seeing as it depends on the degree of spicy we're talking. But whatever :P.

I would say that I like a decent amount of spice. I'm not as brave as some people,but I'm not going to shy away from spiciness either. 

As a point of reference, when I go to Hooters I always order the wings covered in 3 Mile Island sauce (their second hottest) with some 911 sauce (their hottest) on the side.  But I've heard their spices are relatively tame compared to the wings at some other places...

There's a place here in Florida called Duffy's that has a sauce called Atomic, which has some kick. They used to call it death sauce, which is admittedly a much cooler sounding name. Still, the hottest sauce I've ever tasted is probably a brand called Black Widow, but they technically cheat by adding extra capsaicin, which is the stuff that gives chilis their bite.

• 3 weeks later...

My fiancée loves spicy food. Both of his parents are from Trinidad so he grew up eating spicy food. I on the other hand can't handle it. When I first started dating him I could handle milder spicy foods. Unfortunately because I've potentially developed interstitial cystitis I have to stay away from anything that's moderately spicy. Steak spice and black pepper is the most I can handle - in small doses.

I have a decent tolerance. I mean, I couldn't swallow a Thermonuclear Warfare X3 wing with Twin Chilies, but I can stomach a decent dollop of wasabi. My favourite spicy thing is white chrein, or horseradish. We keep a jar for special occasions!

I swear by any hot sauce made with habanero peppers. My favorite is Blair's Death Sauce sold at the local Garlic World, which has hints of garlic in it for flavor and is hot as hell. Blair's has varying levels of heat, but I choose the "Mega Death" sauce, both because it's their hottest, and because...well, the name makes me think of Megadeth, one of my all-time favorite bands.

Spicy stuff - pleasing to my palate, but my innards hate me for it. blink.png

• 7 months later...

Poll needs a "to a certain point" option.

There's this sauce I really like, called Mango Habanero. It's really good, but eat too much and it kills me. I like spicy foods, but I can't go too spicy...

Since I've been eating spicy foods all my life, I can handle it. It depends on how spicy the food is. If the foods have red chili powder and green chili peppers, I'm fine with it. If the foods have jalapenos or Thai peppers, I will not be as tolerant of it.