Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could Shining Armor have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

ggg-2

In Slice of Life we see Shining Armor and Cadance sitting together, with Shining Armor bawling his eyes out. I thought this was a cute funny quirk at first, to make the manly Prince Charming-esque Shining Armor look adorkable. (well....more adorkable if you read the comics) But.....the more i thought about it, the more depressing it got. Cadance states that Shining Armor cries during ALL weddings. Now think back to the last time Shining Armor was at a wedding onscreen. (his OWN, as a matter of fact.) Considering what happened then, could Shining Armor have PTSD? Many things happened at that wedding that could have given him angst, including his sister, whom he adores to no end, almost DYING as a result of his indirect actions, Equestria, the land he swore to protect, almost falling to Queen Chrysalis and Cadance, the love of his life, ALSO almost died. So could Shining Armor actually have PTSD with weddings as his trigger?

• Brohoof 3

It really kind of makes sense. If you been around an enviroment where alot of bad stuff happend to you, it could happen that these events trigger you for the rest of your life. Shining wasn't himself when Chrysalis took control of him and takes blame that he wasn't strong enough to protect canterlot, his sister and his wife. It can take years till Shining Armor can overcome these traumatic events.

Either that, or he is just being adorkable here. :P

• Brohoof 2

Err, I highly doubt so. You can have triggers without PTSD, there's a difference. PTSD, for the majority of those with PTSD. actually relive the past event of which has happened-- take note of "Post Truamatic"-- those are the words people often ignore apparently. There's also usually physical evidence of the person also having "flashbacks" of said event, usually they go into catatonic shock, or their body language/facial expressions are in a blind/blank state. (Ex. stops moving for a certain amount of time, may possibly start slurring their words when dissociating, derealization from their actual current state, usually it's not heavy crying or other signs of emotions until that is the traumatic episode ended.)

Now, just triggered? Yes, this is more likely. Shining Armor just might of have anxiety attacks through the weddings and special ceremonies he's been through. In other words, you can just be barely anxious about something which gives you bad thoughts and that's still considered to be a trigger. In this case obviously, he might of been more than anxious, considering he was literally bawling his eyes out, he's mostly definitely triggered, but he doesn't have PTSD.

Sorry, I just thought I should clear up this misinformation because I think everyone forgets you can have triggers without PTSD. I even remembered someone on here said you must have PTSD to have triggers, which is one of the most ridiculous B.S. I've ever heard! :lol:  Yikes, people really need to look up stuff before opening their mouths, because they have no clue what they're talking about pfft hahaha.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's impossible, he could have very mild PTSD, but regardless I assure you there's a 97% chance he doesn't. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Maybe, or maybe not.  My favorite thing about bronies is that they overanalyze little scenes that are just for the lols but they turn it into something much deeper than that   :P

Edited by shy0wl
  • Brohoof 5

Maybe, or maybe not.  My favorite thing about bronies is that they overanalyze little scenes that are just for the lols but they turn it into something much deeper than that   :P

You know, i actually agree with you. I just take part in this thread, because i like psychology so much. :P

• Brohoof 3

I think he just holds his emotions in, to be the 'cool big bro' that he has probably always been to Twilight. Then when Twilight is not in the immediate vicinity and something triggers it, boom, emotional breakdown. That's my totally random theory. :P

• Brohoof 2

He is just a softie and this scene is not the only example of that, he also had "liquid pride" for Twilight's coronation as well. It is kind of touching and actually makes sense if you think about it, Cadence is the princess of love and what kind of stallion do you think a love princess would go for? One who is in touch with his emotional side and not afraid to show some emotion every now and then.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Funny somebody on here should mention it, I do feel kinda sorry for Shining Armor, even though I still strongly feel that what he did to his sister at the end of "A Canterlot Wedding: Part 1" was inexcusable. In fact, I made this video which I think makes the moment even more emotional:

On the other hand, I'm glad he was able to calm down later:

sig-3927353.sig-3927353.Shining_Armor_wi

Oh, yeah, and isn't that the SWEETEST face you ever saw on him?  ^_^

P.S. If anybody's wondering about the music I chose for that video, well, check this out:

Edited by BlueEyedPegasus

I think it's just to make him more adorkable. He's the Captain of the Royal Guard, a capable warrior and is an expert in using one's wife as a javelin. But even from his very first appearance, we knew that he's a big ol' softie. I think it was just thrown in for him to be more adorkable, he didn't even cry at his own wedding.

• Brohoof 2

I think it's just to make him more adorkable. He's the Captain of the Royal Guard, a capable warrior and is an expert in using one's wife as a javelin. But even from his very first appearance, we knew that he's a big ol' softie. I think it was just thrown in for him to be more adorkable, he didn't even cry at his own wedding.

Yeah, maybe, but then again, he's always been somewhat adorkable at times, including his "liquid pride" moment in "Magical Mystery Cure". On the other hand, I'd LOVE to see him blush sometime, like maybe when Cadance acts sweet to him or even kisses him!  ^_^

He cries because it reminds him about his worry that Cadence will someday find out about the pony-changeling hybrid he sired with Chrysalis while she was impersonating her.  :)

• Brohoof 1

He cries because it reminds him about his worry that Cadence will someday find out about the pony-changeling hybrid he sired with Chrysalis while she was impersonating her.  :)

Uh, I don't get it. Care to elaborate, please?

I legit agree 100%

I love it