Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The feelings I have when it comes to art

Luriel Maelstrom

(edited)

Every artist starts from the bottom up. Some artists will not use computers/tablets at all seeing as them as a crutch or a way of cutting corners instead of learning to draw/colour by hand. I've even heard of artists completely starting over if they feel they've let their artistic skills drop to a level that doesn't satisfy them

Take your time. Improve your ability to draw with a pencil to a point your happy with it and then make the leap to a tablet when your ready (and have the money ofc) 

Even the "professionals" still do the line art by hand to keep their skills up with a pencil.

You should draw because you like to draw and find your own style of drawing. Just because your art isn't on atablet doesn't make it any less professional than anyone else's art.

Also for the record. It takes alot more skill to draw by hand than it does with a computer. You learn from your mistakes better and it is that process that will make you a better artist XD

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 8

^ Malinter couldn't have said it better!
Just keep practicing, and maybe one day, those great artists that you look up to, will look up to you!

(Also, you're already well on your way! The drawing you drew as a representation is really cute! I totally relate!)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I used to feel like this all the time, until I've realised one thing... it really takes a lot of patience to create great artwork, and I mean a lot of patience. If you want to become as fantastic as other artists, then here are three tips to consider.

First and foremost, do not compare yourself to other artists you think are better than what you think you are. It's damaging to your self-confidence and a hindrance to creating artwork.

Secondly, practice! If you want to get better, practice drawing daily. It doesn't matter what you're drawing, so as long you're concentrating.

And finally, tutorials are your friend. So many of these great artists are more than happy to give out a helping hand, so don't be too hesitant to not look out for help. DeviantArt has many tutorials to offer, and to start out, I'll show you these two tutorials to start. It's easy and simple.

But ultimately, the more you'll keep on concentrating, you'll become more patient. Not just that, but you should also learn from your mistakes, The more you realise them, the more you'll remember what to do next time. My artwork isn't the best, but hey, I'm always more than happy to learn new things.  ;)

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 2

I feel that way about my art as well but i still love and enjoy doing it. All artists start from the bottom but thats so there can be improvenent each time making there methods get better and help climb the latter of good enough for you to like your own work. Artist never usually feel 100% about there own work but no worries about it because you will get better and better. Try new things or even ask for advice on how to do what you would like. Eventually you will get where you want in the art communitywe all love. We'll all suport you as well being fellow artists ourselves. Good luck and hope to see some art from you! :)

• Brohoof 1

Don't worry about it man, you are a good artist. You don't need professional anything, that's all just propaganda to sell extremely overpriced art supplies to ignorant individuals who think it will make their art better. I've been drawing my whole life and I prefer a plane piece of printer paper, a number 2 pencil, and a black Bic pen over any kind of "pro" supplies. You are best with what you are most comfortable with. I'm 26 and I just started using a draw pad for my laptop and I'm still getting use to it so just keep drawing and don't listen to anybody else about what is good media for art. Art is art, there isn't a right or wrong way to do it, just like there isn't a right or wrong media to use, otherwise it would be called science.

• Brohoof 2

Don't worry about it man, you are a good artist. You don't need professional anything, that's all just propaganda to sell extremely overpriced art supplies to ignorant individuals who think it will make their art better. I've been drawing my whole life and I prefer a plane piece of printer paper, a number 2 pencil, and a black Bic pen over any kind of "pro" supplies. You are best with what you are most comfortable with. I'm 26 and I just started using a draw pad for my laptop and I'm still getting use to it so just keep drawing and don't listen to anybody else about what is good media for art. Art is art, there isn't a right or wrong way to do it, just like there isn't a right or wrong media to use, otherwise it would be called science.

Agreed. I mainly do traditional art. I may like other ones but traditional and simpler methods seem better to me becouse no matter what as long as you take your time on it it's going to look good. If not well you'll always get better. If you look at my art work well you probably can or can't notice the reason why stuff i draw is so big is on account of beonf blind mostly with some eyesight. Granted i critic my art pretty bad but what artist dosn't from time to time. You pick what works best for you and just you.

• Brohoof 1

You don't need professional expensive supplies to make amazing art. There are plenty of people who use crayola and still do better than some people who have copics and prismas. It's all about the way you use the materials you have! Don't fret, everyone started somewhere.

Personally I favor traditional over digital for the simple fact that you can literally see all the marks on the paper/canvas. It's like you can see all the hours of labor. When it comes to digital I usually see something pretty(unless highly detailed) and don't put much thought into it. Plus if you make a mistake on the computer you can always hit undo. Traditional artists don't really have that option. If you mess up you either start over or make the best of the mistake and turn it into a happy accident.

• Brohoof 3

I understand that feeling really well and I still feel like that everyday. 

I think that your art looks lovely  :wub:. You are far better than me, I use bases, but you have your own style :). You are a good artist ;)

• Brohoof 3

Before bed I was thinking what I drew and said and I forgot to mention that I am mostly jealous of the art quality not that others use tablets. I just drew it like this because I couldn't draw it any better. In the future maybe if I am great at art I will draw what I wanted to draw. I wanted to draw a great OC artist showing his great art but I don't want to copy paste a picture of his art I wanted to draw but since I don't have the skills to do it I didn't. And yes, it bothers me a bit that if I make a mistake too many times it is visible on paper but I learned how to fix that.

Anyways, thank you everyone for your support. If you'd like to see my art you can go to my tumblr or DA which you can find on my profile page. Thank you everyone!

• Brohoof 1

I feel the same way to :( why can't I draw better anyway? :(  :(  :(

All I can draw is Sonic the Hedgehog and thats about it. I've never actually tried drawing a pony. I'd have more art of my OC if I did XD

The thing about art is that it really takes time and practice. Even after a year of practice you can totally see results on how your artwork has improved. I can totally understand how you feel. Even after 3-4 years of digital artwork I still look to others and get upset at my own work. I can't color properly, I don't understand it or something.

But as someone said earlier in the thread, it isn't about the supplies you have really. I have seen people on YouTube who are using like crayons and just MS Paint and making art that I wouldn't even be able to understand hahaha. I've seen someone draw something with a pen in 5 minutes, something that I would need to erase and do over and over with a pencil, for about 3 hours.

So keep practicing! As long as you enjoy what you're doing you're always going to be improving. Try new styles, new ways of coloring ect. It won't turn out perfect the first few times but it will help you define your own style that people will love.

I find that I prefer to a pencil and paper, but I hate colouring! It always seems to ruin my pictures, and I have had one of those moments where I am not satisfied with myself and completely start over! I constantly compare myself to other artists (don't do it it don't get you anywhere!) including my mother who is great at any kind of art however she never really gets recognised for her style and this makes me really sad now that I think about holy crap! I think the only thing she can't draw is horses and ponies! However I can draw horses without even using the base shapes! This also makes it slightly difficult to draw ponies because the dimensions are a little different hehehe... Wow this is long.

You probably shouldn't waste your time reading it plz! 

• Brohoof 1