Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The three legs of MLP fandom.

Zenoctilles

I don't think kids really think it's too odd when they see an adult watching cartoons or collect toys from it. My little cousins think it's awesome that I watch cartoons with them and I'm always giving them toys and stuff from things they like. I suppose there's some kids out there who would think it's weird, though.

• Brohoof 1

Is it even possible to make an official category(not that it would matter)?

I don't think that it is possible to really define an official category. I would say that someone is a brony if they call themselves a brony.

The problem with trying to create an official categorization, is that there really is no official definition of the word brony. If we look at the origins of the word, we find that it was just used to refer to someone that liked the show. As far as I know, that definition hasn't changed and isn't likely to change anytime soon.

I don't think kids really think it's too odd when they see an adult watching cartoons or collect toys from it. My little cousins think it's awesome that I watch cartoons with them and I'm always giving them toys and stuff from things they like.

Yeah, I have some much younger cousins that I occasionally watch the show with as well. They don't think that it is weird at all. They don't seem to mind my collection of pony toys as well. I actually think that they think it is pretty cool. Especially when I give them a toy or something like that.

I wonder if it depends on the age of the kids. I have a late-teenage cousin and he is quite unamused with my new hobby. My other cousins are younger than him, and they are blissfully unaware of any societal norms. Maybe that makes the difference?

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, I have some much younger cousins that I occasionally watch the show with as well. They don't think that it is weird at all. They don't seem to mind my collection of pony toys as well. I actually think that they think it is pretty cool. Especially when I give them a toy or something like that.

I wonder if it depends on the age of the kids. I have a late-teenage cousin and he is quite unamused with my new hobby. My other cousins are younger than him, and they are blissfully unaware of any societal norms. Maybe that makes the difference?

My mom has friend and when her daughter(who is 12) found out that I watched MLP she came to me and told me, "You keep getting weirder and weirder. What kind of grown man watches My LIttle Pony?" My response to her was, "Me." After watching a few episodes she is now a fan and she doesn't seem to think it's weird anymore. Her brother(who is 16) has seen small parts of the show when I would watch it. His pc is pony themed but I think he did so only because he thought it would make him seem cool. He is one of those teenagers who will do anything if they believe it will make them cooler even if they don't really like it.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think kids would find adults liking MLP weird. Kids are, hopefully, non-judgmental and accepting. Hopefully.

I think bronies and cloppers are under the same category; cloppers generally like the show and are bronies, they just have extra interest in a particular area of the fandom.

But I've never met anyone who is purely interested in the toys to be honest. It sounds like an interesting hobby though. I loved the toys and I wish I had some.

i am a bronie myself and i dont find it odd for kids to like the show since they are the target group (if they still are is just the question)

for the toy collectors. hmmm.. i wouldnt do that but hey, if you like collecting them. be my guest.

to all the other bronies. brohoof on ya'll

• 9 years later...

I know there are kids that are on this site or go to MLP conventions and adult fans that collect the toys (like @Splashee), so there is some overlap between the three categories. I also know that some adult collectors appreciate the fact that adult men like the show, judging from YouTube videos. I personally am a fan who also collects the toys and things like that, so I'm technically part of two of the main subsets of fans ( I'm not part of the third one because I'm not a child.)

• Brohoof 1