Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Well Fighting is Magic would have never gotten canceled. 

If it was public domain,then anyone could use the characters and stories, so you'd have a whole bunch of stuff potentially popping up, all with varying quality and the canon would be shot straight to hell, since one artist could say X story by Y was stupid and make a completely contradicting story.  

A big problem though might be that each of those works which are created are also then eligible for copyright. (ie why you can have multiple works of Sherlock Homles, but not have them look or act like Benedict Cumberbatch or use stories that Sherlock creates [unless the story was based on the public domain material and even then you can't do a scene for scene remake]) 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

If MLP suddenly became public domain, then we could legally torrent and download the episodes over the internet. Anyone could legally sell MLP episodes, too.

You'd never have to worry about getting a Content ID takedown for using too much MLP footage in reviews, too.

In your hypothetical situation, would the MLP characters still be trademarked? Trademarks never expire as long as they are being used.

Also, Popeye won't enter the public domain by 2025 if copyright terms keep getting extended like they have been for the past fifty or so years. :angry: It seems to get extended right before the copyright on the Mickey Mouse character expires, interestingly.

Edited by GrepPIEtas
  • Brohoof 1

If it was public domain then we probably would not have MLPFIM at all truth be told as anybody and their dogs could create content creating mass confusion as there would be no clear direction sanctioned by the owner of the IP, and it would create a whole bunch of legal issues in the process. There are reasons why copyright and trademark laws exist and are enforced.

At Current rate, apparently it won't be Public Domain until 2065 or something like that. I Already wish this was true :( . Then Bronies could be better then ever, you know, Furries would be biger if Kevin and Kell went public domain. And if Daytona went into Public Domain, Sega would be saved. I hope that the Scarface One logo from Ace Combat becomes Public Domain soon, I want to use it for Aircraft Stunt Shows.

At Current rate, apparently it won't be Public Domain until 2065 or something like that. I Already wish this was true :( . Then Bronies could be better then ever, you know, Furries would be biger if Kevin and Kell went public domain. And if Daytona went into Public Domain, Sega would be saved. I hope that the Scarface One logo from Ace Combat becomes Public Domain soon, I want to use it for Aircraft Stunt Shows.

Kevin and Kell? Dont you mean Kenan and Kel?

• 2 weeks later...

Feature Length Movie Adaptations of Cupcakes, Rainbow Factory, and My Little Dashie coming twice a year each. All with a Rotten Tomatoes rating around 0-5% each

• Brohoof 1

Feature Length Movie Adaptations of Cupcakes, Rainbow Factory, and My Little Dashie coming twice a year each. All with a Rotten Tomatoes rating around 0-5% each

I WOULD see a "living the dream" movie,

for the hipster "so bad its good" enjoyment

Kevin and Kell is a Furry-Centric web comic about a Rabbit and a Wolf. OMG I cannot believe you don't know it.

Im not much of a furry, Its

an interesting fandom but I

dont know where to start

The current lenght of copyright in the US is 95 years after publication, for corporate works. Which means the first episode of MLP FiM will fall into the public domain on October 10th, 2105. Blame Disney and Sony for that.

Of course, trademarks (specially registered ones) are perpetual, so Hasbro could still C&D you then for making derivative works.

The current lenght of copyright in the US is 95 years after publication, for corporate works. Which means the first episode of MLP FiM will fall into the public domain on October 10th, 2105. Blame Disney and Sony for that.

Of course, trademarks (specially registered ones) are perpetual, so Hasbro could still C&D you then for making derivative works.

Unless hasbro went bankrupt and then all their property had no buyers.

Unlikely to happen, I know.

I can't fathom what that will be like because I haven't heard of anything that was public domain past the 1800s or so.

If we're talking about actually waiting for this to happen you would have to live 96 years or longer to see it happen.