Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people blast their music in public?

Olly

I'm assuming most people know what I mean. People who blast their music (usually rap) from their cars, or carry stereos, or have their phones playing it without headphones. etc. what's the point? just to be an annoying tool? do they assume you'll think it's great too?

I will admit though, if it was music I personally liked, I probably wouldn't be as upset. When it's music I don't like, I feel like someone's intruding on my space, I get pretty uncomfortable. 

Well as someone who's done it on more then one occasion the reason really is simply attention seeking, let's not beat around the bush here. I know full well not everyone is going to like it but frankly I don't care as I'm simply having fun and although it'll annoy some people well that usually is the point well not so much annoying but grabbing someone's attention that is. That said though, I haven't done it for a while and seeing some dudes on a scooter blasting their boombox I admit I cringed from it. Especially as it was rap music, I mean I at least was playing music such as metallica and slayer as such. 

So the point is attention seeking pretty much, I actually used it to try to get over my social anxiety by playing it very loud on busy streets you're forcing yourself to be the center of attention and when you realize nobody really cares what you're doing. You stop focusing so much on how others see you and feel less anxious about social interactions pretty much.  That's my reason at least, I think most people do it because they think others will think they're cool or perhaps because they think it is.

• Brohoof 1

I am one of these people. I blast my music while driving but I don’t listen to rap so it’s never that. It’s a mix of loving my music loud and wanting others to hear it while passing them by. Yes, I know a lot of people find it annoying but I’m not gonna stop.

I notice it usually being rap, country,  and pure bass as far as I can tell. I like to blast music sometimes to share the vibe I guess. How can you not turn up Toto's Africa!?

I dont usually Blair my music though.

Because they don't care that you are tired and just would like to have some peace and quiet when they arrive and put whatever ass music they like no matter what it is. Use headphones for fuck sake! I don't want to hear whatever you blast on my face!

• Brohoof 1

Oh, I CRANK my radio when my jams come on. I keep my windows rolled up, but people can probably still hear it. That’s purely because I LOVE the song and want to hear it REALLY LOUD.

Sorry, not sorry! XD 

(EDIT: That’s only in the car though. I don’t listen to music in public otherwise.)

Edited by ShadOBabe

People are very inconsiderate of others. I got so annoyed with this at my former workplace. It was in a grocery store open with customers around, and somehow some of my coworkers thought it was okay to blast music out of their cell phones. You'd come to work, and all you'd hear is that annoying sound of bad music coming out of tinny cell phone speakers.

It irritated me to no end, as I was not allowed to wear my earbuds anymore in the end, which were noise cancelling and would have reduced the irritation pretty much entirely. But nope, the ones who are inconsiderate are always allowed free reign, while those of us who are considerate have to suffer.

Just be considerate. Not everyone likes your music. I understand that not everyone likes my music, so I don't listen to it out loud when around other people. Simple.

3 hours ago, SharpWit said:

How can you not turn up Toto's Africa!?

Please don't.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

I don't crank my music up to the max unless it's rock and I'm alone. Some genre aren't good to listen to when it's in max volume. I do find it a annoying and a headache in having to listen to loud music played in public or in space where I just want some quite time. Like there's place I always like stayed to study because there's no one there and it's quite. So I can listen to my music as I pleased. Now it's just got turned into some frat house.  

On 9/27/2020 at 5:50 PM, Bakugou is my Man said:

I am one of these people. I blast my music while driving but I don’t listen to rap so it’s never that. It’s a mix of loving my music loud and wanting others to hear it while passing them by. Yes, I know a lot of people find it annoying but I’m not gonna stop.

^This^

My friends and I always roll the windows down and have a dance party in the car. 

I find it a little annoying but at the same time it's rather understandable and relatable considering if your music was playing you'd be blasting it yourself anyway. :D

Had someone blast Macarena, Bailando and Modjo's "Lady" the other day too and I'm like "maaaaan. That brings back memories.."

Edited by Yakamaru

• 1 month later...

From what I can tell, it is usually a case of classic attention whoring. People desperately wanting to be noticed by everyone else. Not absolutely everyone who blasts music is doing so with that in mind, but in my experience most are. When it is like that, it is purely irritating. What makes it much worse to me is simply the fact that most times when I hear it, it is one of two things: Rap or Country. If people are going to blast their music to the heavens, could they at least play music that isn't trash? :yeahno:

• Brohoof 4

I don’t usually mind since I’m not by any one person’s car for very long. Some people do it for the attention (someone who drives around in circles blasting an exceptionally annoying song...), but others just do it because their favorite song came on the radio and they want to enjoy it. ^_^

I don’t know really. On some days one of my he neighbors across the street blares his shitty old music for the whole road to hear. Allegedly people called the cops on him and couldn’t do anything. His house is going to be foreclosed or something so hopefully he is forced to move. His house is literally falling apart and his yard is covered in beer cans and litter.