Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Problems with Windows 10

Fleur-De-Lis

I was enjoying Windows 10, really I was. Then suddenly I had a RANDOM DEVASTATING ISSUE, which I will describe here as well as give a solution. Which ironically you will not be able to read if you have the same problem I did.

Long detailed story:

Suddenly, out of nowhere, my taskbar COMPLETELY stopped working, with pretty much no provocation! It might not sound so bad, but here is why it was. it was CONSISTENTLY NOT WORKING! Shutting down the computer and starting it back up. even with much patience, waiting as long as 5 minutes before logging in, and another 5 to 10 after logging in. The task bar never properly loaded. the bar outline was there, the windows icon and search bar was there. However no pinned icons were present, no tray icons were loading, but there was always the notifications icon there, but un-interactable. No matter how long I waited nothing would load.

Then I decided to start clicking my icons on the desktop, and guess what? To my amazement THEY WORKED! and perfect response time! So I ran my antivirus to see if i had a windows 10 virus or something, no positives. I immediately tried to go to the settings through the "My computer" icon (now called this pc) and of course, it did not work. I went through the Control Panel and LUCKILY system restore still worked (though with ONE restore point on August 5th). Though I was hoping to revert to windows 7 I could not because that was only available through the NORMAL windows 10 settings window. Which upon a roundabout way through the CP I tried to open. Only to find it has actually told me, that explorer.exe was MISSING I do not know how or why, likewise for how Windows was still sort working. but it just gave me a message saying that when I tried to open settings through the CP. I also tried from "this pc" icon, but it simply gave no response.

Later after figuring to use System restore and hope the task bar is fixed. I checked the task manager to see what processes were running, NOTHING was using ANY resources from CPU or Memory. The only remote activity was from my antivirus which was using up alot of the disk resources (as high as almost 10 mb/s).

Results: System restore fixed things, but i worry about other massive problems occuring. It is massive because if I could not fix that task bar, I would have had to do a final SUPER LONG wait, and if that did not work, I would have been forced to format my Hard Drive and go through about 3 days of hard work installing and updating windows 7. Which in the event Windows 10 might not let me install, outright get a new 1Tb+ HDD

Summary: if your taskbar suddenly stops working and will not be fixed even after waiting and restarting (especially several attempts) System restore from the Control Panel to the nearest checkpoint and hope it works.

Discussion: for the sake of Windows 10 users on this forum, you should post the quirks and problems (especially big ones) and hopefully your solutions to dealing with them. I absolutely had to share the SERIOUS problem I had to deal with

Edited by Fleur-De-Lis
  • Brohoof 1

So I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet because of this problem: People are saying that if you upgrade to Windows 10, you can't upgrade your hardware or it will detect it as a different computer than from the PC you upgraded to Windows 10 from. This isn't an issue on copies of Windows 10 you bought not upgraded. Some people may not care because you're not gamers or don't upgrade your hardware, but this is a massive problem for me. :(

• Brohoof 2

My PC is 100% fine until I put it in sleep mode (which is what I do instead of turning it off) but everytime I would turn it back on, the taskbar would glitch. And when I mean 'glitch,' I mean the search bar would continue loading and loading and thus would not allow searching at all (unless you're searching for a loading screen and if so, congrats! you found it), the windows icon (on the taskbar) would not open up and the volume adjuster messed up and would only work if you opened the volume mixer (which is hideous to look at) but it would work fine if you restarted the computer. 

I decided to update my graphics card to the latest driver and haven't had a problem since.

And for some people with glitching/freezing taskbars, opening up command prompt as an admin, typing "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks) and restarting the pc fixed the issue, but there's no way to know for sure unless you try it yourself.

(I also had a problem with Cortana where it didn't even start functioning till days after the upgrade so there's that, I don't even use it anyway lmao)

And with my laptop updating windows 10 it crashed it to the point where I couldn't even get to the log-in screen, it was just in a constant cycle of errors. I decided to boot into safe mode and delete all the extra McAfee files left over from uninstalling it (apparently windows 10 is not a fan of that antivirus which i don't even use) and then did a system restore from the boot screen. It automatically fixed itself and booted up with windows 10 fine without a problem and I haven't had problems since. I messed around with it to the point where I can't really remember what I did but I'm pretty sure the system restore did all the work.

Edited by Wheatley
  • Brohoof 3

So I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet because of this problem: People are saying that if you upgrade to Windows 10, you can't upgrade your hardware or it will detect it as a different computer than from the PC you upgraded to Windows 10 from. This isn't an issue on copies of Windows 10 you bought not upgraded. Some people may not care because you're not gamers or don't upgrade your hardware, but this is a massive problem for me. :(

Strange, although I do recall reading about such an issue, the one I read was from upgrading the motherboard, which makes sense if it thinks your suddenly using a completely different computer since that is the biggest of all things to replace. We should look up more details about that issue you mentioned though.

My PC is 100% fine until I put it in sleep mode (which is what I do instead of turning it off) but every time I would turn it back on, the taskbar would glitch. And when I mean 'glitch,' I mean the search bar would continue loading and loading and thus would not allow searching at all (unless you're searching for a loading screen and if so, congrats! you found it), the windows icon (on the taskbar) would not open up and the volume adjuster messed up and would only work if you opened the volume mixer (which is hideous to look at) but it would work fine if you restarted the computer. 

I decided to update my graphics card to the latest driver and haven't had a problem since.

And for some people with glitching/freezing taskbars, opening up command prompt as an admin, typing "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks) and restarting the pc fixed the issue, but there's no way to know for sure unless you try it yourself.

My computer seems fine with sleep mode, though I have a particular quirk to deal with when i let it idle though. Such as when I leave Firefox running and I return from idle (monitor goes to sleep mode rather than the PC) the interface completely messes up and is unreadable until i close it and re-open it. Minimizing and hovering the mouse over the interface wouldn't fix it either.

I updated my graphics driver (AMD) to the latest version as soon as I upgraded to windows 10. Though I still have not updated my motherboard drivers since all it has available are my audio (realtek HD audio) drivers, which seem to work fine anyways. However I do plan on installing that soon.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'm not the only one with the issues regarding Windows 10. Until Microsoft shapes up and fix the mistakes by pushing Windows 10 back to next year or two, its a fundamentally flawed system/upgrade. Mine went from unexpected restarts to PC games closing on its own as a result coming from Windows 10 itself. I wanted to like it, but then I quickly regretted it upon realizing on how flawed this upgrade is.

• Brohoof 2

When I first installed Windows 10, I would be able to connect to the internet at any time, but in the evening it was ridiculously slow. Luckily there are several routers in my house, and for some reason the 5G doesn't cause this problem. However if I were to switch back to the normal connection, it still has the issue.

Additionally, my computer is a Mac, so until the most recent Boot Camp update, I was unable to use the volume keys on my keyboard. Once I got the Boot Camp update, as well as updating Yosemite, I finally have access to my volume buttons again, something I didn't realize I used as heavily as I apparently do. 

• Brohoof 1

I admit that I was a bit worried about updating to Windows 10... but thankfully it has been running just fine, which has been quite the relief. I am also glad they have gone back to the more classic feel of windows, though there are still differences.

Honestly the only problem I have been having is unrelated to my OS, which is I feel a faulty wire which makes it so that when I have my laptop at a certain angle while holding it in my arms the screen gives out and becomes a lined mess. It is hard to describe.

• Brohoof 1

Looks like I'm not the only one with the issues regarding Windows 10. Until Microsoft shapes up and fix the mistakes by pushing Windows 10 back to next year or two, its a fundamentally flawed system/upgrade. Mine went from unexpected restarts to PC games closing on its own as a result coming from Windows 10 itself. I wanted to like it, but then I quickly regretted it upon realizing on how flawed this upgrade is.

Odd... I've had no such problems.

In terms of major (computer-go-boom-boom) issues, I haven't had any, so far...

However, I've had these few problems since I upgraded from 8.1

• My sound driver crashes, causing my computer to go mute (Restarting the Windows Audio Service fixes this)
  • Out of all of my games, Minecraft is the only one that's giving me a lot of grief with Windows 10. Mainly has to due with memory issues.
  • Sometimes, my computer refuses to resume from sleep mode.

I think these problems might be because I chose to upgrade instead of opting for a Clean Install (removes everything leaving an almost-vanilla Windows install)

I have only had one issue so far with Windows 10. While using Microsoft Word, it claimed every document had an error and I could not open it. :/ My boyfriend fixed it though with a lovely tool called Google. Others had issues with it, and I fixed it. That's the only problem I have had though. Otherwise, great!

Man issue is how new it is, and how many programs aren't available for Windows 10. I think while kind of ridiculous that they're treating it like some remote hub where you can connect all your video games and other devices directly to it with tasks you can do just with a computer in itself, I could take advantage of the extra features I suppose.

So far, the overall OS has been fairly reliable and speedy for me and I have enjoyed it. However, there is a kink in the armor for me and that is Edge. While it is apparently still in beta, the browser is fast yet it has so many issues currently that create frustration. Quick commands not working at all, different buttons not responding, pages randomly refreshing, it has some rather crippling issues. It's a beta so I can't complain too much but it really brings down the experience for me. The rest of the OS is not bad though for me.

I forgot to mention about Windows Store as I'm restricted from gaining access to it. Another reason for me to hate Windows 10 more.

Again, I've had no problems accessing the Windows store. Are you absolutely sure it isn't just your machine? I know Sony outright told Vaio owners not to upgrade due to compatibility issues...

Again, I've had no problems accessing the Windows store. Are you absolutely sure it isn't just your machine? I know Sony outright told Vaio owners not to upgrade due to compatibility issues...

It isn't. Plus, the fact that Microsoft made Windows Store unavailable in certain countries, including Puerto Rico (where I'm currently living in), is just simply unacceptable.

It isn't. Plus, the fact that Microsoft made Windows Store unavailable in certain countries, including Puerto Rico (where I'm currently living in), is just simply unacceptable.

You aren't missing much with Windows Store, just a few desktop versions of things you can get on the Internet (and smartphones) anyway.

But the good news is, it's only been a couple of weeks - Microsoft is probably gonna iron out these things soon enough

The one issue that I have with Windows 10 is that my motherboard doesn't have the appropriate drivers to handle it. So when it was released, I had a nightmare of a time to find out the real problem. I got stuck at 26% with 87 or 89% of files copied when converting to Windows 10. My motherboard is an ASRock Z77 Pro4 and there is no drivers for it yet. That's what the makers said. :(

So if anyone is having a similar problem with Windows 10, it's probably a hardware driver issue.

You aren't missing much with Windows Store, just a few desktop versions of things you can get on the Internet (and smartphones) anyway.

But the good news is, it's only been a couple of weeks - Microsoft is probably gonna iron out these things soon enough

I wish they would hurry up and iron out the problems with putting the computer to sleep mode. For the second time I had a big problem with it.

It gave me a blue window that said

"Critical Error

Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in." then had a button "Sign out now"

I tried restarting twice, a shut down twice. The shut down attempts were spaced out. But after the second time it FINALLY started working normally again. Also note this problem is different than the one I had last time, though at least I have a window that lets me exit the broken desktop (aside form shutting down or force shut down via the power button)

I've also had the problem where I was unable to do anything with the taskbar. I was unable to bring up the start menu, the search bar or start any programs from it. I WAS able to change back and forth from the programs that were on. A restart fixed that issue for me.

I've also had one major issue. During when I was playing MMO game, my computer was updating, but at some point the whole computer crashed. I was forced to shutdown and reopen my computer. But when I did that the whole computer was a mess. Nothing worked. I'm not sure if it was because the computer crashed during update or what. It was a big update, BTW. The kind that will restart the computer many times before it is in place. Luckily I was able to use System Restore and it worked fine after it reinstalled the update.

Other than those two one-timers, I haven't had much issue with Windows 10... other than few games not working properly. including games from the Windows Store. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good OS, don't get me wrong - but sheesh, I had to reinstall the whole OS more than 10 times since it came out. It kept corrupting my drivers and had random compatibility issues. So far, it's been fine, but I wish it didn't have all this headache that came with it.

Windows 10 works pretty much flawlessly on my desktop, but man did it screw my laptop over. None of the function keys worked, I couldn't control my brightness, it was incredibly slow and would chug my battery down in a matter of minutes. I think it was because of really shitty vendor support despite the fact that they said the machine was "Windows 10 ready."

Oh well, I'm quite happy to say that it gave me an excuse to install Linux on it. It worked out of the box; the only problem was the b43 wifi chipset, which was solved in about 5 minutes after a quick google search.

I refuse to beta test windows 10 for microsoft.  On the final day of the free period I will make a choice based upon how stable it is at that time, and how much they have or have not retreated on some of their "features."  Of course my next computer will have windows 10 on it -- mainly because there is no choice not to.