Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Characters Who Got Worse Over Time

Castle Bleck

Maleficent and Xehanort in Kingdom Hearts.

Maleficent peaked in KH1-KH2, but then she just became the "Jessie" to Pete's "James" by the time Dream Drop Distance rolled around.

And Xehanort went all the way from tragic fallen sage in KH1 to time-traveling Agent Smith / Aizen / Voldemort in DDD.

P.S.: Notice how DDD was the one that brought both character-derailments to a head?

Edited by A.V.

Valmont from Jackie Chan Adventures. In the first season of the show, he was charismatic, scheming, and formidable as a villain. However, as the series went on, he had less screen time and less bearing on the plot. By Season 5, he was reduced to a joke.

Even as a kid, I was so confused as to whether I was supposed to find him serious or funny.

I felt that way about Drago, to be honest.

Shendu had some dumb moments, too, but really only when cornered by all the other Demon Sorcerers and fused with Valmont; when by himself, he pretty much stayed a Knight Of Cerebus.

Edited by A.V.

Everyone in Starfox Command except for Slippy kind of goes down the shitter by that game

And Shadow and Cloud, for going from "awesome but troubled" to "angst and emo and 'oh woe is me'"

Though in Cloud's case it's more Square Enix's fault

Edited by Gattai

Everyone in Starfox Command except for Slippy kind of goes down the shitter 

And Shadow and Cloud, for going from "awesome but trouble" to "angst and emo and 'oh woe is me'

Though in Cloud's case it's more Square Enix's fault

In their original games, they were actually given good reasons to be all angsty and emo.

But it eventually devolved into Flanderization.

Well, Sonic got worse since 2006. I still love him, but see: he was that cool guy who tapped his foot on the ground while you didn't touch the controller for a while, this guy a little bit like Spider Man who made fun of his opponent without being too goofy. Since Sonic '06, it gotten worse, and Sonic Colors was the first shovel of Sonic's graveyard.

Everyone from Spongebob. Not that I really watch that show any more, but I've noticed that, season by season, all of the characters have gotten progressively worse. Whenever it is on, I switch over the channel unless it's an older episode. I felt like, in the older episodes, the characters actually had some depth to them, and they were genuinely funny. It was okay up until the very latest season, really. Now nothing about the show is funny. And it's not just me getting older, the episodes of Spongebob that aired years ago still make me laugh today.

Also... Wu from Ninjago. He's just irrelevant now, I think. Maybe he'll have a big role later, I don't know, but he's not really doing much and his lines aren't doing him much justice.

• Brohoof 4

Cloud Strife. Seriously, he used to be a somewhat cocky, but troubled character that wanted to seek out his purpose. Then Square Enix decided to please the fangirls who proposed an endless amount of dramatic fanfics by twisting his character into some kind of emo freak. Seriously, even in Dissidia, his exit line was "not interested". They butchered him with woeful dialogue. -n-

While playing Crisis Core, seeing Cloud smiling and all-around likable really made you realize how such an iconic character transformed so drastically.

• Brohoof 3

Everyone from Spongebob. Not that I really watch that show any more, but I've noticed that, season by season, all of the characters have gotten progressively worse. Whenever it is on, I switch over the channel unless it's an older episode. I felt like, in the older episodes, the characters actually had some depth to them, and they were genuinely funny. It was okay up until the very latest season, really. Now nothing about the show is funny. And it's not just me getting older, the episodes of Spongebob that aired years ago still make me laugh today.

What "genius" thought that just completely filling Bikini Bottom with a whole bunch of irredeemable jerks could've possibly been a good idea in the first place?

• Brohoof 1

Also... Wu from Ninjago. He's just irrelevant now, I think. Maybe he'll have a big role later, I don't know, but he's not really doing much and his lines aren't doing him much justice.

I cannot agree with this enough about the Spongebob thing. When I think of the first few seasons of Spongebob now that I am older, I end up making myself laugh so much, because there is actually a ton of subtle humor that is amazing and the characters were mostly great. Now the characters are extreme stereotypes, every single one of them. Patrick is now completely brainless, Spongebob is brainless and annoying, Squidward is always angry and having his stuff destroyed by Spongebob and the list goes on. Such a sad state to see the show in.

• Brohoof 2

Giant Gonzalez in WWE.

He made an impressive, if weird, debut when he destroyed The Undertaker at the Royal Rumble 1993.

And... yeah, that was pretty much the highlight of his not-even-1-year-long tenure there.

Worse, their feud was even voted Worst Feud Of The Year by Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Even The Great Khali fared (a little) better.

• Brohoof 1

SpongeBob. Ever since the first movie came out and Hillenburg left, the show went downhill.

However, he came back to work on Sponge out of Water (Which I think was surprisingly good) and to work on the show again, so I have my hopes up.

Pretty much everyone is SpongeBob right now.

Also Stitch from Lilo and Stitch. I love him, he is my childhood in a nutshell. Then the anime came out, and a large part of my heart died...

I actually didn't mind the Stitch anime, it wasn't the worse show I've seen.

• 7 months later...

Agreed. He used to be a great character! Very inspiring!

• Brohoof 2

A character that has gotten worse to me has to be Beast Boy and Cyborg in Teen Titans Go. I understand that the writers of the show clearly didn't care about what they write these formerly beloved characters, but those characters in particular used to be so funny and have good chemistry with each other back in the original show.

But unfortunately, both are shells of their former selves and it's a shame.

• Brohoof 1