Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New law that could turn fans into criminals?

Violet_S

I really dont know much about this, I just discovered this link in a video I saw in youtube this morning. But I'm actually really concerned about this. Would bronies be affected? (I'm guesing yes but still)

I really would like to know what you guys think about this..

Are you as scared as I am? >.<

Link:

http://goboiano.com/original/3219-anime-and-cosplay-fans-could-become-criminals-with-new-international-trade-agreement

• Brohoof 5

Well that sucks  :okiedokielokie:

So it means, that any fanart could be considered illegal because we using something that others made.  :ooh:

If its really that bad, that would mean that pretty much everything would be forbidden  :wacko:  

Even if the companys behind the product like fan art...its like Gema all over again, who blocks tons of music videos here in germany even if companys posted the songs by themselves, but now its a global thing  :sunny:

Thats not good, i really hope they dont agree and this new rule or whatever never happens.

But i guess as long as we dont sell fanart we should be okay then, right ?  :wau:

But its just terrible, just to make everything illegal what fans make. Fans are the ones who promote their franchise with fanart, fanmusic, events and so on. Banning all these would also harm the companys actually  :scoots:

Its just useless and we already have some rules that say, we shouldnt make money of someone elses artwork, or not? So why make another which bans even more?  :wat:  I just hope its either not that bad or that companys do something so that fans doesnt get hurt or this law never happens..hopefully .

• Brohoof 5

Reading the article it looks like the deal could very well collapse.

In any case I am skeptical that much will happen. Every so often a new law or whatnot seems to come around that could threaten fan works and it usually comes to nothing. I have a feeling the same will happen this time around.

• Brohoof 5

Reading the article it looks like the deal could very well collapse.

In any case I am skeptical that much will happen. Every so often a new law or whatnot seems to come around that could threaten fan works and it usually comes to nothing. I have a feeling the same will happen this time around.

here's hoping you're right, my friend
  • Brohoof 1

Well that sounds problematic for sure. People on youtube would get hit by this sucker even if they're just reviewing a show or just putting clips of it up especially when people that do these reviews sometimes make money off of them. Then there's google images, how are you going to curtail all of that.

This is a stupid stupid move. And I can't believe they even thought of doing this. 

• Brohoof 3

I'm gonna be honest here, while I was reading that article I was waiting for the part where they said "this is all just a joke." That never happened of course, but you get the idea of how ridiculous and stupid I find this idea to be. Making fan art illegal is stupid enough as is, but throw in the fact that they're also making cosplaying illegal and saying that all this is illegal whether the original creator is okay with it or not, it's nothing but a great big joke.

Basically the point I'm trying to make is that I wouldn't worry about it at all, it's just another stupid thing that'll probably never go through.

• Brohoof 5

What! How is this a thing? Why is this a thing? Like seriously where did  this even come from? This is literally gonna make every single person on the internet a criminal. If they have any common sense at all, then they will not let this law see the light of day. I can see this law pissing many fans off and going out in a ball of flames. How does this even benefit them at all? So many companies are gonna lose  business and so many jails are gonna fill up if this is actually gonna happen. This is probably the dumbest move I have ever heard of in politics, nothing is going to come out from this except bad, this is dumber than the "YouTube Copyright Disaster" at least they had a good reason, but it was a mistake. What's the reason here? Why r they doing this?

I don't get it, I hate the government at times like this, they need freaking new staff that actually does stuff to benefit the common person, not this masochism bull****.

• Brohoof 3

This has to be one of the most unnecessary laws to ever even be considered. Oh well, I suppose all we can do is just hope that they won't go through with it.

In my honest opinion, they won't.

• Brohoof 3

I'm reading the relevant section of the proposed agreement now, and I think the article is overstating the potential repercussions.

Mostly, it'd affect Japan, specifically the derivative dōjinshi area... if people lodge a complaint. It also depends on how the courts interpret it. I suspect mostly such a change would have little effect.

Does seem likely that the whole thing will not go through though, especially with the fact that it's been criticized by experts at the UN.

I'd say don't worry, it may well happen, and if it does, worrying wont help.

• Brohoof 4

You know,  a lot of companies that are in Entertainment know its the fans that keep their pockets full of the monies,  also given the net and etc and places like this one helps to feed into the  Entertainment and being in also new fans who also in turn watch the show and buy stuff for the show etc and cycles and more monies for the company!  Looking into example also to anime/manga who in the net has made anime/manga into the Billions for Japan world wide and artist/anime such as Naruto and Bleach who get a LOT of their money from over seas.  

Personally I don't think this will pass or loop holes will be found.   Also I'll say: SUE MY ASS!  I make wallpapers,  post them and give cred to who is due!   Yet it also SPREADS THE MARKETING OF THE SHOW AND EXPOSES IT TO A WIDER RANGE OF PEOPLE!  So they would kill their own money flow by going after fans,  and even little 7 year old girls who draw the ponies and post em.  Yah big show of balls,  big show...

• Brohoof 4

This doesn't seem like anything to worry about actually. I skimmed through the article and honestly you really have nothing to worry yourself over. Why would anime and cosplaying be considered bad in the first place :P.

• Brohoof 4

cause everyone knows fans are a greater threat then the hundreds of real problems we have to deal with... if this becomes a thing then not only will it hurt fans but it will greatly hurt the companies that the fans support... but I doubt it will happen...

• Brohoof 2

My issue with the whole TPP scare is that the leak often cited by things like this is from a version of the bill from like 2012.

As far was we know, the offending portions could be gone or amended to close that dangerous loophole in the newer versions.

I'm reading the relevant section of the proposed agreement now, and I think the article is overstating the potential repercussions.

Mostly, it'd affect Japan, specifically the derivative dōjinshi area... if people lodge a complaint. It also depends on how the courts interpret it. I suspect mostly such a change would have little effect.

Does seem likely that the whole thing will not go through though, especially with the fact that it's been criticized by experts at the UN.

I'd say don't worry, it may well happen, and if it does, worrying wont help.

You also have to realize that Japan has really lax copyright laws that allow people to make a profit from said fan-comics to a certain extent as long as publication remains small-scale.

Tightening them would only bring them in-line with the west.

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 3

You also have to realize that Japan has really lax copyright laws that allow people to make a profit from said fan-comics to a certain extent as long as publication remains small-scale.

Tightening them would only bring them in-line with the west.

My understanding is that it's not just that the copyright laws are lax, but that the copyright holders genuinely don't mind their characters etc being use- they could crack down, but choose not to, at least partly because many of the japansese manga creators started off making derivative works themselves.

• Brohoof 3

As much as I would love to say this won't pass you have to understand that the leaders of nearly every industrialized nations and several 3rd world nations are corporate puppets of a global corporate mafia that has hijacked those countries. To these people money is a means to an end with the end being power which to them is like drugs, no matter how much they have it is never enough. This so called trade deal gives them yet even more power, it simply picks up where NAFTA and other trade deals left off in screwing the people in the name of "free trade" and increasingly centralizing their power.

This trade deal is secret for a reason, if the people actually found out what was in it there would probably be riots. All sorts of deals are passed behind the backs of the people often illegally. Treaties have been "passed" for years without being ratified by the senate even though the constitution clearly states that all treaties must be ratified by the senate with the politicians and mainstream media blatantly lying to the American people by telling them that the president has final say over treaties when again it is the Senate.

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...