Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Invent a new word

SasQ

Inspired by the "Favorite word" topic, i decided to start a new funny topic, which is a slight modification of that one.

I saw plenty of fancy words there, some of them new to me (like "kerfuffle"), which sounded odd or as if they were made up (I had to check out if they're real). So I started wondering: What is it that makes people like these words in particular? Is it how they sound? Is it what they remind them of? Or how they look like when written down? Were they invented to fulfill these needs in the first place?

This gave me an idea:

How about inventing a bunch of totally new words? :pinkie:

You can use existing English words as a base, or mix them up to get something new. Or you can use some well-known English stem and attach some standard endings to them to get a word which is meaningful, but there is no such word in the dictionary as of yet. For example, there is that word toyetic being used more and more by Bronies regarding Hasbro's practices of embedding imagery in MLP supposed to sell some of their products. This word is somewhat new, I guess, and definitely made up only recently. Same goes with flanderization, which means to take a character's most recognizable trait and use it over and over, flattening his character down to this particular trait. (The word is not in the dictionary yet, but it is commonly used.) Or to nerf something down, which means dumbing down, making it unnecessarily over-safe. And of course to ponify something, that is, make it MLP-related.

But let me give you a couple of examples I made up myself:

bonkerizer  -  a device which makes something gone bonkers :)

bradness  -  being cringeworthy, but from hard-to-explain reasons, like Brad in "Equestria Girls"

complicable  -  being able to become complicated easily

But an even better idea is to invent something entirely new. A word which sounds like English, but there is no such word whatsoever and it is not based on any existing English stem.

Here is a bunch of words I invented, from the top of my head:

kwynkle, comptivity, dorfel, yankling, blipple, saliace, saliacid (I guess this one could mean something salty and acidic at the same time), fittiquity (this one sounds funny :) ), nork, zomping, rondling, grushy, tonkable, zork, zorking, tagant, pirtle, koshish, triddle.

You can even try to build sentences with them :) They sound bizarre and funny:

A grushy kwynkle has been yankling through tonkable fittiquity when it rondled a tonkable dorfel.

The dorfel was tagant, because the previous day he was triddling too much saliace.

As a true zork, he was zorking for some koshish comptivity.

Yeah, weird as hell, I told ya :P I wonder what could it mean, though?...

Lewis Caroll once wrote a poem "Jabberwocky" which utilizes a lot of nonsensical and made-up words like these. You can find it in his book "Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found there". Let me quote it for you:

"Jabberwocky"

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Some people even tried to decipher the meaning of these words, basing on other Caroll's works.

Whaddya think of it? Fun or not? Can you invent some new, funny-sounding words and post them in this thread? Perhaps even with some explanations of what do you think they could mean? :)

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 2

A slightly more serious one.
"Splashkill" - to kill multiple enemies grouped close together with a gun, invented by me whilst playing Dead Island.
Also "Bap" - already a word in its own right, but in this sense it means to hit someone with a Riot Shield in Cal of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

• Brohoof 1

Hahah, nice ones, guys! The "flink" catches the idea very well, the "borrochul" sounds deep and gloopy (I thought I invented this one, but turns out that it exists already), and "splashkill" is really self-descriptive.

Seems to me that this will be more fun than I expected :D

Edited by SasQ

Well, I thought physiolatry would be a new word, but it already exists. Hadrolatry would be one that doesn't, but it seems rather odd given that the greek hadrós means stout or thick. So rather than interpreting the word as the worship of composite particles, one might believe...well, whatever they believe.

• Brohoof 1

Avocaroom[1] / Avocarooming[2] / Avocaroomed[3]

Definition[1]: Sing a vocaloid song alone in your room while dancing the macarena.

Definition[2]: Present tense (sometimes past tense)

Definition[3]: Past tense

Example: Guy 1: "What do you like to do when you're bored?" Guy 2: "Usually avocaroom."

Example 2: Guy 1: "What were you doing this weekend?" Guy 2: "Mostly avocarooming."

Chimicherrychanga! (cheh-mee-cheh-ree-chong-gah)

N. A chimicherrychanga is mashed up cherries in a tortilla that's deep fried!

Example: Pinkie Pie: " Say it with me; pickle barrel kumquat, pickle barrel kumquat, pickle barrel kumquat, chimicherrychanga!

AppleJack: " NOOOO! Make it stop! Make it stop!"