Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Wanna help me with my school project on the brony subculture?

melody5697

The project isn't what you probably think it is. I think I'm just supposed to prove it's a subculture by giving examples of symbols, language, values, and norms in the brony subculture. Then I have to make a playlist with songs about those things. Who better to ask than bronies who have been in the fandom a lot longer than I have? So can you help me learn about symbols, language, values, and norms in the brony subculture? Don't tell me to do anything else. I AM NOT turning this project into anything besides what the teacher assigned. This is not a research paper, and this is not about brony culture in general. It is only about those aspects. If I don't do the project that was assigned, I'll get a bad grade.

• Brohoof 8

Proving a subculture? Well I would certainly argue that it is one, though citing specific sources may be difficult. How does one distinguish a variance between the morals of our culture versus what should be an establish standard in society, for example? Said society will most likely refute claims that cast it in a rather negative light.

Edited by Wubtavia

True, but the implications of "Love and Tolerance" as a definitive deviation is that it is a trait lacking from culture as a whole (which I would not necessarily refute, given how society functions today). As evidence, it is bound to be met with either skepticism or distaste.

I will agree with the fan created content as evidence, though. Such passion as to inspire art across all forms of media is not a derivative trait.

Symbols: cutie marks are a big one, I suppose. The Mane 6's cutie marks are instantly recognizable, among many others.

Language: bronies tend to adopt certain phrases from the show--most notably "brohoof."

Values: Love and Tolerate. Plain and simple.

Norms: this is one I'd have to sit on for a while.

I'm in a meeting right now and have class tonight; shoot me a PM if you want to talk more. I have plenty more thoughts and no time at the moment to put them down.  :lol: 

Edited by Kolth

The project isn't what you probably think it is. I think I'm just supposed to prove it's a subculture by giving examples of symbols, language, values, and norms in the brony subculture. Then I have to make a playlist with songs about those things. Who better to ask than bronies who have been in the fandom a lot longer than I have? So can you help me learn about symbols, language, values, and norms in the brony subculture? Don't tell me to do anything else. I AM NOT turning this project into anything besides what the teacher assigned. This is not a research paper, and this is not about brony culture in general. It is only about those aspects. If I don't do the project that was assigned, I'll get a bad grade.

For symbols, maybe you can start with Cutie Marks. They're abstract symbols that we immediately link to specific characters, but if those who aren't familiar with the series were to see them, they wouldn't make that connection. We also tend to link them with the talents and personality of various characters as they are reflections of their individual destinies. For language, maybe try looking at various phrases that mean something to Bronies such as "brohoof" or "20% cooler" or the use of pony pronouns in words such as "everypony". I don't know if we can make any kind of inference about values all Bronies have, but we do at least in theory respect one another and value individuality.

Norms often involve liking and/or disliking various pieces of pony media such as liking the season 4 finale and hating the Rainbow Dash Micro Issue, but there's also an expectation of some degree of fondness for background ponies and fan works. Fans are also expected to have various headcanons and a remarkable memory of at least the basics of most episodes. As a sub-culture that congregates primarily online though, there isn't much in the way of norms regarding behaviour and there are few ways to enforce and/or keep track of whether someone is following norms. The ones I listed above are based largely on my observation and I'd only loosely define them as norms as they aren't really enforced per se in the same way as many other norms one often follows in the physical world.

I hope this helps. I'm sure your teacher won't be too put out by you adding extra details to your paper. I think the concern lies more with the focus and overall presentation of it and doesn't want you to derail it by focusing too much on the other details. The quality of your grade will also likely be influenced by your ability to articulate. Out of curiousity what class is it you are taking? I'm assuming it's something in Sociology or Anthropology or some related discipline.

This is for Interpersonal Communication (yes, culture is related to communication), and for the third time, IT IS NOT A PAPER! It's a PowerPoint and a playlist! The teacher showed us a PowerPoint explaining the assignment and uploaded it to Canvas so we can look at it whenever we want. I have attached the slides that will hopefully help you understand what it is I need to know. They include the slide that explains the things that I have apparently failed to explain well and slides showing examples.

So now everyone's lost interest, huh? Fine. I wouldn't be surprised if this counted as cheating anyway.

post-31303-0-62840400-1442883031_thumb.png

post-31303-0-41133300-1442883057_thumb.png

post-31303-0-85119200-1442883078_thumb.png

post-31303-0-19204700-1442883105_thumb.png

post-31303-0-65481600-1442883129_thumb.png

Edited by melody5697
  • Brohoof 1

Language is a pretty big one in the brony culture. Almost all good MLP:FiM fans will know of lots of catch phrases and ponifying words, like everypony, 20% Cooler, Assimilated Into The Herd, etc. There is a lot of stuff you can use to prove that we are a culture, especially in the language and symbols sections, since those are two of our biggest notifying features.

This actually sounds really cool!! I'd love to be able to help if it's possible.

I agree with Kolth with most of what was said. Like our values, there's all ways that 1 no matter what culture, but almost everypony here is very loving, caring, willing to lend a hoof when given the chance, and very respectable. Most of us are also open and accepting of just about anything.

I'm a big fan of some pony music, such as Black Gryph0n and Wooden Toaster aka Glaze. A lot of pony music I've noticed is more dubstep like Vinyls taste of music so it may not appeal to everyone.

Btw, I doubt this is cheating lol. Ur asking people from the subculture that u are preforming on about things that we would say would make us a subculture. I'm taking intropersonal communication as well so I know what ur going through there. Asking us for help is a former of research, just like if u talked to say goths or skaters or any other kind of subculture :)

If u still would like help, I'd love to give it a try :)

I may be able to help. How long have you been in the fandom?

Oh, I forgot to answer your question. I've been watching MLP since 2012, but I didn't start considering myself a pegasister until summer of 2014. I didn't talk to other bronies (other than my real life friends) at all until the day after Christmas when I joined this forum to find out if I was misinterpreting Luna's apparent dislike of reading in The Journal of the Two Sisters.

This actually sounds really cool!! I'd love to be able to help if it's possible.

I agree with Kolth with most of what was said. Like our values, there's all ways that 1 no matter what culture, but almost everypony here is very loving, caring, willing to lend a hoof when given the chance, and very respectable. Most of us are also open and accepting of just about anything.

I'm a big fan of some pony music, such as Black Gryph0n and Wooden Toaster aka Glaze. A lot of pony music I've noticed is more dubstep like Vinyls taste of music so it may not appeal to everyone.

Btw, I doubt this is cheating lol. Ur asking people from the subculture that u are preforming on about things that we would say would make us a subculture. I'm taking intropersonal communication as well so I know what ur going through there. Asking us for help is a former of research, just like if u talked to say goths or skaters or any other kind of subculture :)

If u still would like help, I'd love to give it a try :)

"Intropersonal" isn't a word. I believe you mean interpersonal. Intropersonal sounds like intrapersonal, which means it's within a single person. Interpersonal means it's among people. Totally different meaning.

But anyway, I really would appreciate some help. Just know that I will block anyone who tries to turn my project into anything other than what I said it's supposed to be.

Edited by melody5697

Any thoughts on your playlist?

How many songs/pieces of music?

My suggestion would be

Forest Rains version of "Join the Herd"

https://youtu.be/ojHbS40ZnqE

(This version contains the lyrics)

It shows the general populaces opinion of MLP

"Everything in here is pink!"

and their reaction to adult, especially male, fans.

"You know this show's for younger crowds

How can you say you're proud?"

The protagonists reluctant first viewing

"And then you have the nerve...

To ask me to observe...

These girly things..."

and subsequent epiphany

"Hey, this show's not bad

I'll give it to ya, I'm real glad

I never thought I'd like this stuff

I thought I was just too tough."

Or have I missed the point? :)

Just try not to make it too serious and make the presentation too awkward. I did a presentation on ponies in my speech class but I did it in a way where I was making fun of myself and laughing along with everyone. Don't take it personally of some people get uncomfortable with it.

I hope this idea I have might help.... or it might be off subject.

I feel very proud to be a brony and not be scared to find a place with others like you, and yet can be an individual. To find others with similar interests/ideas.

For example being on this website or talking with other bronies in person, building the courage to meet new people.

To get out there and not be afraid to voice what you enjoy and how it makes you feel.

The language itself is unique and really fun to use in everyday life. If others look at you like WTH... just smile/smirk and keep walking.

Like I said, i'm not very good at this kinda thing.... I'm outta practice.... 19 years ago +.

I am an introvert, and finding others that enjoy the show as much as I do is awesome... no matter how old/young you are.

I think what i'm trying to say is the brony culture is full of variety and character from so many different walks of life throughout this beautiful planet.

Norms I would say would be like: faithful, curtious, always help another pony in need, don't be selfish, follow your heart, don't box yourself inside of yourself... other ponies want to help ya out if ya just let them...

I hope that helps out a little. :kindness:

Edited by Mistral

Did a quick google search and found: "In sociology and cultural studies, a subculture is a group of people within a culture that differentiates itself from the parent culture to which it belongs, often maintaining some of its founding principles." - wikipedia. Based off of this, you can definitely argue this is a subculture. I also found this thread (http://knowyourmeme.com/forums/meme-research/topics/18927-what-makes-a-subculture)that discusses the difference between a fandom and subculture. Hope this helps.

Would you say that reading Equestria Daily is a norm? And should I explain what a headcanon is in my presentation, or is that a word most people know? (I sometimes don't know what's normal because I don't really talk to people much other than my grandparents and my two best friends who are ages 14 and 15 and still believe in Santa Claus.)