Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are the ponies too forgiving?

Bendy

Are the ponies too forgiving?

Discord for example... he has not really proven himself that he has fully reformed. The fact they forgave him for enslaving minds of everyone in Equestria is bit ridiculous. If Discord was on Earth we would have probably executed him for doing that to us.

Luna I suppose had her mind under control from Nightmare Moon, so I guess she's got excused. Even though if Nightmare Moon had won, everyone would have died in eternal winter.

But the real question what would it take for the ponies to never forgive you? Would an evil monster like Ted Bundy in Equestria finally be the last straw, which they could never forgive? Or would they even try reform Ted Bundy even after he killed so many ponies and did other terrible things.

Edited by Bendy
  • Brohoof 1

Well, there is Tirek, who is imprisoned outright, so I suppose trying to steal all of the magic in Equestria (twice) is enough for life imprisonment. Discord, I think he is misunderstood. He was a victim of harsh manipulation. I do agree that he was not really reformed up until that particular point, but that's the thing, he needed a true reminder about the magic of friendship in that case. He had not yet truly learned it. Being the embodiment of chaos itself can be a hard thing to get past. I think the ponies should be rather forgiving, Sometimes humans are not forgiving enough on each other.

Nah. Discord never tried to murder anyone. He isn't in the same league as Tirek who you still need to make a leap that his actions would have led to the death of characters. Also, the mane characters are still at least suspicious of antagonists they have faced before. Gilda, Trixie, Film and Flam, Twilight's initial reaction to Sunset in Rainbow Rocks are just a few examples. That means that forgiveness may be harder won than you assumed.

Using Ted Bundy is also a really bad example as we don't and won't have a frame of reference for that type of individual in the show. Perhaps using Joe McCarthy would have been better. Just saying.

• Brohoof 2

Have they ran into a problem which was caused by too much forgiveness yet? Most of the time in this show when they extend that forgiving hoof the recipient changes for the better. They don't change entirely (a la discord) but they do change for the better. You could use discord turning on them as an example, but Discord really when you get down to it is like a child with an inordinate amount of power, so you do have to handle him with kid gloves in a way. Forgiveness just seems pretty effective in equestria, but its far more complicated in our world which is why we find them peculiar. 

• Brohoof 1

In the self-contained world of Equestrian society, they have succeeded in keeping peace through relatively minor punishments compared to the crime. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to consider this "normal." Perhaps most Equestrians (even the villains) simply lack the mental outlook to be truly, irreversibly evil.

One of the more notable exceptions to this trend is that Sombra fellow, whom they outright destroyed, and who can blame 'em? Seemed to be the most inexcusably evil character in all of FiM by a long shot.

Edited by Worst Wizard

Nah. Discord never tried to murder anyone. He isn't in the same league as Tirek who you still need to make a leap that his actions would have led to the death of characters. Also, the mane characters are still at least suspicious of antagonists they have faced before. Gilda, Trixie, Film and Flam, Twilight's initial reaction to Sunset in Rainbow Rocks are just a few examples. That means that forgiveness may be harder won than you assumed.

Using Ted Bundy is also a really bad example as we don't and won't have a frame of reference for that type of individual in the show. Perhaps using Joe McCarthy would have been better. Just saying.

Yeah, Discord is Mischievous, not *Murderous*. He seems alarmingly okay with destroying property, but he has never actually tried to outright harm anypony.