Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Water on Mars

Codelyy

I don't know about any of you but when it comes to this type of stuff... I will geek out about it... Is that a word?. Get excited i mean basically.

If you haven't heard then not so long ago they discovered "Flowing" water on Mars and now are planning to send people as soon as possible to check it out including tons of probes.

The reason I'm so excited about this is because it might mean life is on Mars. It most likely would be micro-organisms but that's still life on another planet meaning aliens!!.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/30/9426469/life-on-mars-water-alien-dna-carbon-sample

I want to know what you think on the matter and if your as excited as i am :D

• Brohoof 2

We already expected to find some remnants of water on Mars, the question was how much of it was still present. This is an excellent find and might lead to the discovery of Martian life, but practically it's not particularly interesting.

Any effort to colonize the planet would still require intense terraforming, so we've still got a long way before much can be done on Mars.

• Brohoof 2

We already expected to find some remnants of water on Mars, the question was how much of it was still present. This is an excellent find and might lead to the discovery of Martian life, but practically it's not particularly interesting.

Any effort to colonize the planet would still require intense terraforming, so we've still got a long way before much can be done on Mars.

Yea true but it's still amazing i think :P.

I'm more excited about the fact they might discover aliens.

I think it would be awesome if there's life on Mars, though I'm guessing it's still unlikely. Hopefully there will people on Mars in the next decade or two. It looks to me like space technology is picking up some speed again.

• Brohoof 2

It's more like "certain parts of Mars have liquid groundwater that's like 95% poisonous salt perchlorate, but we have high hopes on that last 5%".

We've know that there was water on Mars for a very long time; the liquid bit is the interesting part.

The liquid part and that it's flowing is interesting i find 

95% poisonous salt perchlorate, but we have high hopes on that last 5%

Martian 1: "Breh, you try dis water? S'some dank shit yo..."

Martian 2: sig-4128544.alien.jpg

Martian 1: "Yehhh."

Edited by Nismo
  • Brohoof 2

As a space nut, this excites me greatly. ^__^ It is insane the things we have discovered and now, Mars seems more like a sister planet to Earth more than ever. It is really exciting, even if we may not be able to make any real human contact with the planet for hundreds of years. Just the overall sense of discovery in the universe, it is soooo cool. :3

• Brohoof 2

It's very doubtful they'll find aliens. Bacteria, sure, but I don't there's going to be animals/fish.

I would still class bacteria from another planet a alien

• Brohoof 2

I would still class bacteria from another planet a alien

Of course, but it's not as exciting as an alien with a brain, limbs, etc...

• Brohoof 1

See what happened is that millions of years ago Humans lived on Mars. The planet was dying so we simply moved right to Earth and erased all knowledge of Mars ever having us there.

Though the water isn't what it is here on Earth, it's still something. And Bacteria, even small, is still a great find. When people touch down there maybe they will find something. 

Edited by Side Bird

I get excited about stuff like this, too. I can't wait to see what else we learn about the planet. I remember reading it and being absolutely fascinated with it. I wanted to dig deeper, to learn more... Then I had to get back to work. :/

I'm just gonna leave this here (warning, could be graphic)

sig-4128618.tumblr_inline_mk67cpuRLK1qz4

XD What is that? It looks like someone caught him at a bad time. Thanks for making me laugh.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I wholeheartedly believe there’s not only water on Mars but oceans of it. And more than micro-organisms too. I believe it’s covered with ice, which is covered with dust and soil, caused by the impact which caused Valles Marineris, which, also in my opinion, isn’t a natural canyon system. It’s clear to see that the valley and it’s parallel rifts are too regular to be random occurrences of erosion, and the impacted strata at the terminus is a dead giveaway. It was a comet or meteorite that disrupted the surface, blocked out the sun, caused freezing, and the dust settled back from the atmosphere to over it all in the subsequent years. That’s my little pet theory, which may well be proven wrong. But hey, at least I figured out how they build the pyramids, and no one else got that one right! Okay I’ll stop talking now.