Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on the end of FiM, G5 and the future of the fandom

The Coffee Pony

I agree that it is better for the show to end on a high note. But as of now, it only keeps getting better and better. Sure, some shows declined in quality, but that does not mean EVERY show will decline in quality, and EVERY show will run out of stories. FIM can run for even 26 successful seasons (not saying it will but it can).

Let me tell one thing which is often ignored. It is not the fandom or writers who will decide when MLP will end; it is Hasbro. They want their corporation to succeed. It is not only about profits.

OK, so season 6, another EQG, and the 2017 movie is coming up. I feel that this movie is rather than a grand finale, an attempt to increase the audience

If in the worst case, FIM will end soon, I will not feel very very sad. Because within my lifetime, G4 will reboot again as Hasbro will be missing its sweet money.

To end, let me quote the CMCs from their recent episode:

'beginning an adventure that never will end'

Its too early to debate this topic!

• Brohoof 1

you know, thinking about FIM reminds me of GI joe; despite GI joe being an absurdly big cash cow during the 80s, the bad response to the GI joe movie and the costs of the show meant they essentially canceled the show until DIC offered them an absurdly low cost deal years later to continue, resulting in a massive quality drop.

While I would hope it wouldn't happen, hasbro's response to the 80s GI joe movie's reception shows a precedent of hasbro canceling hot properties at the first sign of trouble :(

I want to assume they've learned their lesson and operate on a different paradigm currently than they did in the 80s (they seem to have realized that introducing millions of characters instead of focusing on the core beloved ones is a mistake for example), but I can't help but shake my feelings about things.

Well, I'd prefer they end the show on a high note rather than just turn into something like *shudders* . . . Modern spongebob.

Don't worry.

Episodes like Rainbow Falls may exist, but they're still relaxing spa treatments compared to Modern!SpongeBob, Modern!FamilyGuy, etc.

• Brohoof 1

I think as long as the dollar bills keep rolling in for Hasbro, they'll keep making MLP. No sense not to, and there's plenty they can do with the story. However, we're losing writers. Amy Keating Rodgers is going to Disney, M. A "Alicorns Everywhere" Larson is looking at other projects, and Meghan McCarthy is getting a promotion. That's like our best 3 writers...

However, no, I think MLP will keep going, at least until 2017 with the movie. So that's 2 more seasons.

Don't worry.

Episodes like Rainbow Falls may exist, but they're still relaxing spa treatments compared to Modern!SpongeBob, Modern!FamilyGuy, etc.

Now that I can agree with!

I think if there is a Gen5, it will be some sort of continuation taking place farther into the future, maybe having Twilight actually be the new main Princess. There could be a new Mane 6, Discord could be more of a wise sage, there could be a Rainbow Academy as a training Academy to be one of the Wonderbolts, the CMC would have made a school/program to help fillies and colts understand their cutie marks, etc.

If it were up to Hasbro,

the show would go on as long as it makes money(season 8 or 9).

Afterall, why risk a G5 when G4 is immensely lucrative.

I sincerely doubt G5 would ever be as big as G4, 

not that it wouldn't be good,

but let's face it , spin-offs of amazing shows rarely ever surpass their predecessors. 

(yes, I am aware that Fim itself is a spin-off).

• Brohoof 1

Filly Funtasia looks worse than G3 to me. Wouldn't get your hopes up.

I had never heard of Filly Funtasia before I saw your post. I somehow don't think it will be a worthy replacement should MLP:FIM draw to an end soon. I Googled it, and stumbled upon this image and had a good laugh though!

full.png

I had never heard of Filly Funtasia before I saw your post. I somehow don't think it will be a worthy replacement should MLP:FIM draw to an end soon. I Googled it, and stumbled upon this image and had a good laugh though!

Eh, filly funtasia has mainly fallen into obscurity by now since it was just a meme joking about bronies like it too since it was about ponies.

kind of curious how bad it will be when it actually comes out.

post-33206-0-34699100-1446693533.gif

Eh, filly funtasia has mainly fallen into obscurity by now since it was just a meme joking about bronies like it too since it was about ponies.

Now come on. It's probably better then we think.

After all, it has monsters stealing cupcakes. Now that's hardcore. :P

Now come on. It's probably better then we think.

After all, it has monsters stealing cupcakes. Now that's hardcore. :P

Well, I'm not much into bashing it myself since it probably compares well to other cartoons aimed at 4 year olds. I know from experience in having to sit through things like lego friends when babysitting that there are much worse kids cartoons out there.

While I think FIM is great due to being aimed at multiple denominations, I can't really fault a show for 100% pandering to 4 year olds as its goal. Nothing wrong with having a very focused aim after all.

Wait.... This show is actually a thing!?

I highly doubt the brony fandom will fade away whenever FiM does end (although I personally doubt that the ending will be soon, considering how much money the show brings in, and the fact that the quality has gone up lately).  I also doubt that there will be a shift of the fandom to G5... even when G5 becomes a thing, and even if it is better than FiM, FiM is phenomenal and has made a huge impact on the world.  People who love this generation may not even watch G5, and even those who do and who love G5 will still like G4.  FiM fanfictions won't stop being written.  FiM fan art won't stop being made, neither will FiM fan videos/music/animations.

Let me tell you this; the Lion King still has an active fandom (even before the new show was announced) full of talented fan fic writers, artists, etc., and considering the sensation MLP:FiM has been, I expect it to still have an active fanbase in 20 years too.

I don't know what the end of FIM will be like and when it will be.

If G5 is good it could increase the size of the brony fandom.  Like how Korra did for Avatar.

But if not then I really don't know what is going to happen after this generation is over and generation 5 begins.

• 1 month later...

I think there might be a future gen series with destine children traveling from their world to Equestria on a daily basis. These children will either become ponies themselves like Equestria Girls in reverse or they will have pony partners similar to Digimon partners. Pony partners would double the main cast size and open up a new plot opportunities by having the children and ponies learn about each other's world or culture.

Heck, this series needs its own Digimon Analyzer to give a short on the spot explanation of a character or creature.

FIM isnt ending, and I hope it goes for 10 seasons. I cant see any new show living up to FIM's standard. when GEN 5 comes( hopefully years from now) I hope they stay in the same universe and the mane 6 make appearances, with twilight as the ruler of equestria.

Edited by ASGARDIANBRONY
  • Brohoof 1

The show has made mistakes and it has also pleasantly surprised us in it's decisions. I still enjoy it and hope it continues for as long as possible. I hope the 6th season isn't the last and that movie isn't the grand finale. Writers have come and gone and it still continues to stay good overall. Let's not purchase a coffin and plan a funeral until we know it's really reached it's end.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, if I remember correctly, there are currently no announcements regarding whether the series will end with the movie (although there is a big chance it will). Maybe we shouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves.

As others have said, even if the show ends, that doesn't mean we have to stop producing fan stuff and just generally being fans. :) I think I'll be sticking around making MLP art for a long, long time (but, you know, I could be wrong, but I might not; this show has kind of a special place in my heart).