Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinions on the Pony Maker?

FlootahBabby

Get this horrible monster away from me!!!

But seriously, I hate this because it is taking away either money for commissions from ACTUAL ARTISTS or beautiful requests that other artist bronies can do. Besides the Pony Creator art doesn't even look that good, the manes and tails look like crap, it also takes mane styles from other fandoms (EX: DBZ Kai and the Legend of Korra). I've seen more creativity come out of a zebra's butt. Just saying

• Brohoof 1

But seriously, I hate this because it is taking away either money for commissions from ACTUAL ARTISTS or beautiful requests that other artist bronies can do.

Actually, on the contrary, I'm certain that it has brought money to commissioners. For example, I had no idea what I was looking for in my OC/ponysona, and without Pony Creator I would have never had any way of finding what worked for me. I've commissioned one person, and guess what? Without Pony Creator they would have never gotten any commission from me because I would have never known what I wanted.

Besides, so sorry that you think that OC creating should be locked behind a paywall (before I was 19/20 I had no way of even ordering anything online, so it would have been impossible for me, and it certainly is for many teenagers/kids using the internet) or talent/skill wall. However, if it doesn't have to work that way, it shouldn't. You already think the quality is so terrible, so don't you think there will be people who will order to get what you consider higher quality art?

As for me, I like my avatar, and it was created entirely (well, Cutie Mark aside) with Pony Creator.

• Brohoof 3

Get this horrible monster away from me!!!

But seriously, I hate this because it is taking away either money for commissions from ACTUAL ARTISTS or beautiful requests that other artist bronies can do. Besides the Pony Creator art doesn't even look that good, the manes and tails look like crap, it also takes mane styles from other fandoms (EX: DBZ Kai and the Legend of Korra). I've seen more creativity come out of a zebra's butt. Just saying

I doubt it's removing potential profits from artists because those who do have money and used Pony Creator will probably buy from artists anyway. I think main difference would be that people who don't have money to spare would simply not have Pony Creator images or they would simply take bases from show and make modifications from there.

Edited by Luna the Great
  • Brohoof 1

Ponymaker is generally met with negative reception.

For example, say if you wanted a pormo picture of your fan fictions on fimfiction.net. You are either better off drawing the pony (if you are good at drawing) or getting someone else to do it for you.

Otherwise, they tend to get quite a few downvotes based on pormo pic alone.

If you are really lazy just ask the artist if you can use their art for the cover of your fan fiction. Or just use a screenshot from the show itself.

Edited by Bendy

Besides, so sorry that you think that OC creating should be locked behind a paywall

I never said OC creating should be locked behind a paywall.  Some people are just done with their OC as soon as they are done making it on Pony Creator, they never go to request shops and they never go to commissioners that could do their OC way better than the Pony Creator can. Also most people don't even put thought into the Pony Creator OCs. Now that doesn't mean the people who do it just to get a base idea for their oc by using it are bad it's just the people to make their OC on it and say "done" are the  bad ones. I am sorry I didn't put that in my first post. I tend not to put things into posts that I thought were obvious. That is purely my fault. After all it is a GAME it is not supposed to be a substitute for actually creating an oc. Also if you haven't noticed most of the infamous "emo" and black and red ocs come from there. Some as jokes and some not. Now black and red ocs drive me crazy but that is off topic. Just to state it bluntly I hate people to make their OCs on Pony Creator, put no thought into it and ask other people to name it for them or even give it a cutiemark. If they actually have descriptions for the cutiemark that is a different story. I am sorry if I offended you in any way, that is my own fault.

Edit: If you look up black and red pony ocs the 5 out of the 18 images that come up are from the Pony Creator game

post-33640-0-86561000-1445692322_thumb.png

Edited by PROJECT: Echo
  • Brohoof 1

I never said OC creating should be locked behind a paywall.  Some people are just done with their OC as soon as they are done making it on Pony Creator, they never go to request shops and they never go to commissioners that could do their OC way better than the Pony Creator can. Also most people don't even put thought into the Pony Creator OCs. Now that doesn't mean the people who do it just to get a base idea for their oc by using it are bad it's just the people to make their OC on it and say "done" are the  bad ones. I am sorry I didn't put that in my first post. I tend not to put things into posts that I thought were obvious. That is purely my fault. After all it is a GAME it is not supposed to be a substitute for actually creating an oc. Also if you haven't noticed most of the infamous "emo" and black and red ocs come from there. Some as jokes and some not. Now black and red ocs drive me crazy but that is off topic. Just to state it bluntly I hate people to make their OCs on Pony Creator, put no thought into it and ask other people to name it for them or even give it a cutiemark. If they actually have descriptions for the cutiemark that is a different story. I am sorry if I offended you in any way, that is my own fault  

Pony creator is simple, and it's not that big cutie ^^ If someone uses it, her/his oc would only be one sided, so it's pretty alright ^^ It's for people to imagine their own pony, and make a sample of it, to get basics of how their ponies would look like ^^  

• Brohoof 1

Pony creator is simple, and it's not that big cutie ^^ If someone uses it, her/his oc would only be one sided, so it's pretty alright ^^ It's for people to imagine their own pony, and make a sample of it, to get basics of how their ponies would look like ^^  

Oh yeah it's not that big. That explains why it has 4 versions and thousands of ocs made from it

post-33640-0-99630600-1445692922_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

But there are limits to poses people want when they use it ;) <3 

Yes but if people didn't use it and didn't want these new poses then he or she wouldn't have made four of them

• Brohoof 1

I never said OC creating should be locked behind a paywall.  Some people are just done with their OC as soon as they are done making it on Pony Creator, they never go to request shops and they never go to commissioners that could do their OC way better than the Pony Creator can. Also most people don't even put thought into the Pony Creator OCs. Now that doesn't mean the people who do it just to get a base idea for their oc by using it are bad it's just the people to make their OC on it and say "done" are the  bad ones. I am sorry I didn't put that in my first post. I tend not to put things into posts that I thought were obvious.

I've had my OC drawn a few times, but, as I stated before, I still use the version I made in Pony Creator for my avatar. I think it works perfectly fine as a 'final' version of my OC.

Your distinction between the conceptualization of the OC versus the image being used to display the OC being locked behind a paywall is meaningless to me. You're still saying we shouldn't use what is free to us, even if we're satisfied with it. Which I am 100% satisfied with my avatar.

Your tirade against red and black OCs isn't going to change my mind either. They'd still be made, either way. And I really don't see why you let it bother you so much. I hardly run into them... Yet I do run into a lot of OCs that I certainly think look terrible and mismatched... But I move on because it doesn't really effect me in any way. Let people have their fun.

• Brohoof 2

I never said OC creating should be locked behind a paywall.  Some people are just done with their OC as soon as they are done making it on Pony Creator, they never go to request shops and they never go to commissioners that could do their OC way better than the Pony Creator can. Also most people don't even put thought into the Pony Creator OCs. Now that doesn't mean the people who do it just to get a base idea for their oc by using it are bad it's just the people to make their OC on it and say "done" are the  bad ones. I am sorry I didn't put that in my first post. I tend not to put things into posts that I thought were obvious. That is purely my fault. After all it is a GAME it is not supposed to be a substitute for actually creating an oc. Also if you haven't noticed most of the infamous "emo" and black and red ocs come from there. Some as jokes and some not. Now black and red ocs drive me crazy but that is off topic. Just to state it bluntly I hate people to make their OCs on Pony Creator, put no thought into it and ask other people to name it for them or even give it a cutiemark. If they actually have descriptions for the cutiemark that is a different story. I am sorry if I offended you in any way, that is my own fault.

Edit: If you look up black and red pony ocs the 5 out of the 18 images that come up are from the Pony Creator game

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2015-10-24 at 9.11.24 AM.png

If people just make OC in Pony Creator and say "done", that's their decision. To say that people who use Pony Creator are robbing money from artists, it feels as if it's trying to force them to pay artists to draw their OCs even though they don't have money or interest to do so. My problem with Pony Creator is that they look unappealing to me, not because I feel that it's taking away money from me (if I did commissions). If someone was able to make better version of Pony Creator, that would be good.

I'll just put this out there and I'm sure people won't like it: I do not generally feel bad for artists in this community. A majority of them are operating off of pirated versions of photoshop and sai and then scream "theft" when their work is stolen and really you're doing fan artwork that Hasbro permits you to do. You're not trying to create new masterpieces for the world to admire or big statements, half of them stick around the brony fanbase because they're afraid to leave it to pursue greater challenges because bronies are a guaranteed money source. A lot of artists in the brony community are only remaining because it's "easy" money and afraid to take the risk of stepping outside and looking for greater challenges.

I don't really feel sorry for people who are trying to trap a specific market because they lack the talent or ability to go elsewhere and make a name for themselves. A majority of the artists I've dealt with on a commission level were unprofessional and do not have an understanding of how business works. I've seen artists get mad that people put deadlines on them, or expect them to redo something that is wrong. Many artists in the brony community do not operate on the mentality of "the customer is always right". They seem to think they can tell the customer how they are going to do things despite the customer paying them. Sorry, but that's not how I operate. Any artist who has NO CONTRACT established with me and they start behaving unprofessionally, I cancel my commission and go elsewhere even mid process. I will not be paying you for labor either. If you didn't have it in writing that I agreed to, take me to court because you're not getting money for not delivering a product. I find it absolutely insane that so many of the artists in this community legitimately believe they are entitled to money for canceled commissions when they have never stated they are being paid for labor. A commission is not paying for labor, it's paying for the product. If you do not give me the product, you don't get paid. I never agreed to pay anyone by the hour and I never will.

Artists are NOT entitled to be paid by the hour unless they have a company that hires them and controls them. The reasoning is simple: If you're your own boss who is supervising you to make sure the hours you claim work are legitimate? Who is making sure you're ONLY doing work during said hours? Just yourself. I will not pay someone by the hour who has no one checking up on them to make sure they are actually working.

I also hate how so many artists attempt to bait and switch. They will give you a price, and you will agree on said price and then at the end claim that they need more for "additional work they had to do". No. When you AGREE on a price, if you need to do additional work, you need to eat the damage, not me. You can't tell someone one price and then jack it up later unless you explicitly explained such in the first place.

So no, I don't really feel sorry for a lot of artists in this community and quite frankly: if Pony creator is a threat to their work, then they must really suck as artists. I have even seen artist flip out at other artists for giving stuff away for free because it hurts their business. If you can't sell because someone else is giving stuff away for free: increase your quality to justify your price, or lower your price. It's fucking insane that back in 2005 I remember $30 being "a lot" for a commission, now that SAME commission is almost $150-200. Money did not go down THAT low in value in 10 years. It's because this kind of crap is permitted and allowed. If comic book artists got paid as much as some of these people do for just headshots, DC and Marvel would not be able to afford to print the books.

I support PROFESSIONALS only. People who treat their business like a business. And let me tell you: whining actively about how the competition is hurting you is not what a business does. It's what children do.

Edited by Guest

I'm very old school. still use MS paint for some things and GIMP for anything more than basic. I used Pony creator for the basic pony shape and hair plus outline, then did the rest in GIMP, background, colours, cutie mark, adornments etc etc. I think it's a handy tool to use as a base

Larger version of my avi pic - quite recongnisable as a pony creator shape, along with some hand drawn rough scruffy edges 400% zoom and pixel by pixel FTW! or the fail when viewed at full size ^_^

Bpc223.png

Edited by BPCannon
  • Brohoof 2

Yeah, unfortunately they're not cutie marks, just whatever the heck Pony equivilent of tattoos would be. My Daughter wanted stars, but I already put the basscannon cutie mark on. So she suggested tatoos

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, unfortunately they're not cutie marks, just whatever the heck Pony equivilent of tattoos would be. My Daughter wanted stars, but I already put the basscannon cutie mark on. So she suggested tatoos

Equivalent of tatoos?

I dunno, war paint?

Cool that you and your daughter teamed up to design him though.

• Brohoof 1

Equivalent of tatoos?

I dunno, war paint?

Cool that you and your daughter teamed up to design him though.

Yep, cool to have her input, not so cool that she was sitting on the edge of the sofa behind me and leaning on my shoulder while I was trying to draw small outlines, but hey, kids never really understand personal space

Edited by BPCannon
  • Brohoof 1

I think it's not the most accurate, but it's still amazing in my opinion. It's awesome for people who aren't too talented at drawing, and even for people who are I think it's a great way to start. Just create your base OC from there and use it as an image reference to draw him/her in a different pose. So yeah, I think it's useful, and although there aren't as many options as I'd like, there are enough to get you started.

I really don't get the hate surrounding the thing...

I guess some people don't understand that some people out there can't draw, would rather spend their time doing other things than learning how to draw, don't have the means to pay for a commissioned OC, and don't think it's a very good idea to bother someone until they do it for free.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

I'm not a huge fan of it. I've only used it to get a general idea of my OC and once I got a nice design, I drew it by hand and changed it up a bit to fit the image in my head better.

Personally, I believe it's a great tool to use if you can't come up with a good color scheme/design, but it's too limited and useless beyond that point.

As a person who has used this creator to create her OC's, I do not like it one bit. I can almost guarantee some one else has an OC just like mine because of the lack of options. Also, I'm not an artist. I'm unable to envision how my pony looks from different angles, and one of the most important angles is face front, which the creator does not offer.