Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinions on the Pony Maker?

FlootahBabby

You know, the one on DeviantArt by GeneralZoi that a lot of people use? What do you think of people using it as their OCs? And if you do use the Pony Maker, do you think it has limitations to your OC that you wish it could add? The only reason I don't really like it is because it's inaccurate to the show.

why_not_to_vector_from_the_pony_creator_

• Brohoof 3

I'm not a fan of the pony creator.

I can understand using it if you feel you can't draw, but I still don't like it. I dunno, I just feel that the designs are very copy and paste. 

I think it limits creativity a bit, which should ultimately be a guiding force to creating an OC. I do believe it can be a great starting point for working with color schemes, however, or getting ideas in general. After that, I would recommend vectoring some bases from the show so you have accurate proportions with which to work from there on out.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not a fan of the pony creator.

I can understand using it if you feel you can't draw, but I still don't like it. I dunno, I just feel that the designs are very copy and paste. 

...Exactly. The PC* is very limiting in terms of design.

* - Pony Creator

It's good for the basic design and color scheme, but it's not good for making the actual OC.

If you're good at drawing, then draw your OC. If you suck at drawing, then get someone else to draw for you. The pony creator restricts angle and mane and tail styles. You also have not control of color schemes. If you want more then three colors or shades or gradient colors, you're out of luck with the pony creator. (gradient isn't always bad. Rarity's mane has a gradient effect.)

I feel that Pony Creator is very dated by today's standards. Lets be real here, the Pony Creator model is pretty ugly and that's why it's more mocked than used today. One thing that has always got me about Pony Creator is how easily you can tell when somebody else is using it, it's a very obvious program. I feel that all Pony Creator is good for today is making an OC template. Many people who commission artists to draw their OC's make references using pony creator which is actually pretty useful but aside from that I feel its a dated program with very little appeal by today's standards.   

It's a good resource for people who can't draw and don't have a means to render their ideas any other way.  I don't really understand all the hate for the pony creator to be honest.

My real gripe is with the people who use it to churn out dozens of poorly designed OCs instead of committing their efforts to the ones that show true originality and are worthy of being developed further.

• Brohoof 2

Its a useful too for getting the general size, colour scheme and cutie mark of ya OC going, But after that you should add the details of the mane, tail and hooves by hand and branch out from there. Thats how I started mine... (that and a lousy Big Mac-recolour XD)

I don't like the pony creator, and I agree that it is extremely limiting.  One of the only reasons I don't have an OC is because I don't like any of the presets that the pony creator has, and I have a very vague image of what I want in my head, and I can't draw, so yeah lol

I used it at first to get an idea of what my OCs would look like, but then I found out how to edit bases. Using bases is just as easy. Just always credit the person who made the base. I think the pony creator useful, but it is kind of... whats the word? Bland? Venomous put it very well. Very copy and paste looking.

Edited by McDude

I'm absolutely hopeless at drawing so it was good until I was able to get some proper drawings done. Although you shouldn't flaunt your pony maker creations as they should just be references or a basic image, not a finalised OC.

• Brohoof 1

Its good for getting a first consept of OC's (mostly just the colours you will use as its to limiting mane and tail wise).

But really its only as good as the design skill of the person using it.

It is my only option aside from asking for/commissioning others to make my OC for me. I am simply incapable of drawing anywhere near the level I want. And even though I have a few drawings from others, I still use the Pony Creator version for my avatar.

People really need to quit being so snobbish about it. Not all of us have the talent/skill or resources to be able to draw. This is the only tool in front of us for us to use. It can not just be a idea of our OC, because it is as far as we can go.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 3

I absolutely *SUCK* at drawing, so that's why I use Pony Creator.

I have no good friends who're well, good, at drawing who I can ask. The only 'drawn' pieces I have are two from "I'll draw your pony for you" threads.

Though I agree, we need a new pony maker tool.

• Brohoof 1

People seem to be really fussy about the pony creator, but I don't mind it at all. Sure, original artwork can look better but some people aren't confident about their drawings so it's a great alternative for presenting their OC!

• Brohoof 3

I don't like it. I understand why people use it, but I think I would actually prefer seeing people with stickfigure ponies as their avatars because I see pony creator images too often. There's also the issue of seeing too many of the same type of styles for many OCs. There's also the fact that pony creator ponies are always shown to the side rather than 3/4 view.

I have considered numerous times creating a thread that's something like "Want to replace your Ponycreator avatar?" or "Promise me you'll stop using your Ponycreator avatar if I make you an avatar".

Edited by Luna the Great

Here is my opinion:

Is the Pony Creator perfect? No. Do I care? No. While I don't use it now, if others want to use it, by all means, they can. I remember quite a bit of negativity towards this program because it does not fully match the quality of the show, which some seem to forget that this program was made by one person. 

The program is good, is it good for those wanting to quickly whip up a character that they have in mind. It works wonders for that purpose regardless of its issues. I honestly never understood some of the absolute hatred for it that many seemed to have, many probably still do have that.

• Brohoof 2