Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Episodes like Power ponies and Do princesses dream of magical sheep...

Unlikeable Pony

So, there's always patterns each season of certain episode types that get aired: For example, there will always be at least one discord episode (since he's redeemed), one luna episode, some episodes relating to a meta-arc for that season (The box, the map), ect.

Looking at Power ponies and DPDOMS, it seems like there's a pattern of them having an adventure episode where they throw reality out the window in some way in order to give all six super powers for the sake of an adventure.
Power ponies placed them in another universe and gave them super powers, DPDOMS put them in a dream world and let them imagine super powers for themselves.
This was in order to facilitate allowing them to have a more actionish adventure episode with the mane six able to do more fantastical fights than they normally are able to do as apart from twilight they tend to lack much in the super power department.

Do you think this trend will continue and in Season six we'll get another Adventure episode where they find an excuse to give all of the six temporary super powers of some kind? And do you think its a good trend if so or do you dislike such episodes and giving the six other powers?

I personally love these episodes, since they some how manage to fit the canon of the show but yet still manage to go as crazy as they want. I'd love to see more of it, since adventure episodes are some of my favorites. Also yes, I do think we'll get a S6 episode that features it.

Edited by Yufery
  • Brohoof 1

It's definitely a great idea to take the characters out of their comfort zone and throw them into other worlds. It is a possibility in Equestria that can be exploited greatly to make entertaining and well-written episodes and develop the characters even further.

I think it is a good trend if it is indeed one as having an episode now and again while throwing the normal rules out the window enables greater creativity and more unique approach to story telling.

Personally, I really like these episodes, and looked forward to the PP and DPDOMS episode. Unfortunately, the other 5 have been left behind a bit by twilight so about the only way to do more action packed adventure episodes tends to be warping reality a bit.

Plus, it really is nice to see the interesting ways they alter the universe for the mane six (Rarity being able to do things like make giant needles to stitch up holes feels "right" in a weird way. I kind of would like them to do something like an RPG episode for that premise of them playing a D&D game and showing it from their in character perspective.

• Brohoof 2

These are a great balance with the Slice of Life style episodes, which those are the majority, these types of kind of 'comic book style' episodes are a treat to have periodically, so I hope we see more of them in season six. Episodes where they can go all out without causing mass destruction or somethign that will ruin Equestria. :P

Depends on "How well is it done?"  Power Ponies wasn't bad (I liked Rarity's comment about a super power being a good fashion accessory (ICR the exact words, its been awhile).  DPDOMS was one of the best episodes this season.

So, if season 6 continues the trend it's OK by me -if it's well done.

Meh I prefer them having adventures within the Equestria context not in another dimension with completely different rules like in Dragonshy or that castle.

I do too as well. However, these alternate universe ones fix the power imbalance that currently exists in the show for Adventure episodes: Twilight at this point drastically eclipses the other 5, with her being able to legitimately fight massive monsters like the taztlwurm and WIN (Albeit with help). The other five really just can't compete at this point unless its a social situation like The premier was or without it being a EOH giant laser, which they try to keep to two parters and not use for "minor" adventures.

The fantasy situation episodes solve this problem by allowing the writers to give the others super powers to be able to keep up with twilight in a fight. (If anything, twilight's power pony powers NERFED her, and the others still needed powers to keep up)

I do too as well. However, these alternate universe ones fix the power imbalance that currently exists in the show for Adventure episodes: Twilight at this point drastically eclipses the other 5, with her being able to legitimately fight massive monsters like the taztlwurm and WIN (Albeit with help). The other five really just can't compete at this point unless its a social situation like The premier was or without it being a EOH giant laser, which they try to keep to two parters and not use for "minor" adventures.

The fantasy situation episodes solve this problem by allowing the writers to give the others super powers to be able to keep up with twilight in a fight. (If anything, twilight's power pony powers NERFED her, and the others still needed powers to keep up)

Not sure where you're getting the idea that Twilight is far more powerful than the others. She does seem most fit for combat but that doesn't mean the others can't fight their own way and fill in a role in the fight. Twilight was more in line with the others with just lasers and teleporting but you can blame on her wings giving her the movement advantage.

(edited)

Not sure where you're getting the idea that Twilight is far more powerful than the others. She does seem most fit for combat but that doesn't mean the others can't fight their own way and fill in a role in the fight. Twilight was more in line with the others with just lasers and teleporting but you can blame on her wings giving her the movement advantage.

Twilight's magic is at the point where she easily blocked a spell that one hit KO'd the other mane six (Easily stopped starlight glimmer's attack the second time she used it), fought a tatzlwurm that was over 100 times her size (albeit with help), is able to not only hold her own but BEAT chrysalis in a solo fight if you count the comics (while the other six are beyond powerless against chrysalis), and is the only one of the mane six with any real combat abilities due to her ability to create shields, lasers and a host of other magical abilities.

They even hung a lampshade on how much of a swiss army knife twilight is even in NON-combat situations in Made in manehattan when Applejack and rarity were like "If Twilight was here she'd just fix this in a couple seconds with magic". (which is probably why she wasn't chosen for RD/pinkie's mission since she could have probably grabbed the idol easily via teleporting down and back or with another spell)

Twilight's pretty much the goku of the group in non-social situations or situations that need things to be physically solved.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

Twilight's magic is at the point where she easily blocked a spell that one hit KO'd the other mane six (Easily stopped starlight glimmer's attack the second time she used it), fought a tatzlwurm that was over 100 times her size (albeit with help), is able to not only hold her own but BEAT chrysalis in a solo fight if you count the comics (while the other six are beyond powerless against chrysalis), and is the only one of the mane six with any real combat abilities due to her ability to create shields, lasers and a host of other magical abilities.

They even hung a lampshade on how much of a swiss army knife twilight is even in NON-combat situations in Made in manehattan when Applejack and rarity were like "If Twilight was here she'd just fix this in a couple seconds with magic". (which is probably why she wasn't chosen for RD/pinkie's mission since she could have probably grabbed the idol easily via teleporting down and back or with another spell)

Twilight's pretty much the goku of the group in non-social situations or situations that need things to be physically solved.

Combat isn't really the main focus of MLP to begin with though so it's not usually fighting they are up against but situations and Twilight doesn't solve them on her own. 

Every adventure with Twilight will be boring cuz she can solve almost anything with magic (Made in Manehattan for example). Twilight need to banned or nerfed ;)). The next map mission wont be an adventure cuz Twilight can just use her magic and there will be nothing to learn. Her Overpowerness is the reason she gets less episodes beside Premise and finale.

Every adventure with Twilight will be boring cuz she can solve almost anything with magic (Made in Manehattan for example). Twilight need to banned or nerfed ;)). The next map mission wont be an adventure cuz Twilight can just use her magic and there will be nothing to learn. Her Overpowerness is the reason she gets less episodes beside Premise and finale.

I'm actually expecting twilight to try and solve everything with magic and fluttershy making her realize that you have to take a gentle hand when dealing with others as a ruler and not do everything for them or try to force things.

I mean how Fluttershy made Discord realize the error of his ways... I mean that wasn't anything special at all right?

I don't think anyone's disputing that the mane six can't contribute in a diplomacy way or spreading friendship by just talking to others, like how fluttershy redeemed discord. Fluttershy for example was the one who actually solved the problem in the most recent premier.

The issue is specifically for situations with outright monsters like the tantabus or the tatzlwurm, where you can't reason and fighting is the given solution. Specifically, in episodes like Power ponies or DPOMS, or the Comics chrysalis arc, where punching the villain in the face is the only real option. Those kinds of adventures, in a more shonen type thing.

I don't think anyone's disputing that the mane six can't contribute in a diplomacy way or spreading friendship by just talking to others, like how fluttershy redeemed discord. Fluttershy for example was the one who actually solved the problem in the most recent premier.

The issue is specifically for situations with outright monsters like the tantabus or the tatzlwurm, where you can't reason and fighting is the given solution. Specifically, in episodes like Power ponies or DPOMS, or the Comics chrysalis arc, where punching the villain in the face is the only real option. Those kinds of adventures, in a more shonen type thing.

Yeah but this isn't a shonen cartoon. I mean in the end the Tantabus was beaten with reason not fighting.

Yeah but this isn't a shonen cartoon.

I agree there, and that's why my point about twilight is only for very specific and rare episodes of a certain type; specifically the power ponies or DPDOMS. Even if the tantabus was finally defeated by talking luna down it featured the primary part of the episode being about the mane six fighting monsters.

I think the staff will continue to provide a couple outright fighting adventure episodes every season or so just as a special occasion kind of thing, and for those they generally need to get lose with the rules for a single episode to make things work for all six.

I love the franchises creativity in finding ways to express so much story flexibility without having to worry about it being in line with the continuity of the series - dream sequences, comic parallels, wormholes.. it all just gives unlimited potential - the staff really thought through ways to not limit the plot so that the series would become dull and predictable - that's what makes it so exciting - it's on season 5 and it still doesn't feel old!

I really think this is one of the best developed cartoon series out there for THIS generation :)

dungeons and dragons eh - I used to update the lexicon for wizards of the coast - any entries on high ogres were probably done by me :)

I have actually never played dungeons and dragons though.. but I've read all the dragonlance books - ponies of dragonlance would be fun :P

Edited by Chronamut

I have actually never played dungeons and dragons though.. but I've read all the dragonlance books - ponies of dragonlance would be fun :P

I was a HUGE fan of Dragonlance for many years and also read all of the books.  I've also played D&D using the 4th Edition rule set but I'm not very familiar with it.  I heard someone was developing an MLP game for the Fate system at one point though. 

I just want to see the mane six use the skills they develop from their own professions and bringing up not suddenly have something else. Twilight has been studying magic for years so it makes sense for her to use it. Remember almost all of Twilight Sparkle's magic spells failed so I don't see how she could fix anything in a snap when they either made the situation worst or didn't work.

So far the most competent magic users that could command his magic at will and with zero effort was Discord. If anything having Discord as a friend and a backup would make their adventures just way too easy that's why I was always against the idea of Discord becoming a good guy.

Edited by cider float