Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Lurking

Jimmy Page Fan

Is anyone else a lurker? I come on this site countless times but I post one thing like every 4 months. I usually come on here while listening to music and read a couple of threads. Anyone else do this? Forgive me for using '4chan terminology'.

Edit: At the time of posting, I was aware of the fact that people could come here, not post anything and then leave because they are, in fact, a lurker.

Edited by Jimmy Page Fan
  • Brohoof 3

I spend far more time reading than I do typing, although to some extent, that comes with the territory of being staff. Even before I became staff though, I read more than I interacted with others. My lurking ways are also deeply influenced by my introverted tendencies.

• Brohoof 2

I spend far more time reading than I do typing [...]

This, pretty much!

I'm usually just curious about other people's opinions on things but I'm kinda hesitant to share mine. Chalk it up to my shyness and social awkwardness!  :squee:

• Brohoof 1

*sees thread* *thinks about typing say how i am a lurker* *ends up just reading and leaving the thread*

Probably what some people are doing right now, I'd be doing it too, but I try to express myself more often now.

I lurk quite a bit, especially over the past couple of months since my life became a fair bit busier. I generally prefer to read what others have to say more than putting down my own thoughts on a subject. Maybe I just don't hold enough value onto them. :P

• Brohoof 1

Sort of :P as a general rule, I look at 2 or 3 times more threads than I actually post in.

I guess I just feel that if I can't add anything really special to the thread, then I should just keep my mouth shut, but that sounds a little more depressing than it actually is XD

• Brohoof 1

I lurk way more than I post. Often, I'll open a topic and someone's already posted my thoughts, so I usually figure it's not necessary to rehash. Also, I just get lazy sometimes and don't feel like typing up a response. :P 

• Brohoof 4

I lurk, I run silent run deep, whatever you prefer. Not nearly as active as I used to be, largely due to college but also some other personal reasons.

I enjoy being social, but I also enjoy leaving people with questions, as if there is more mystery to me than there actually is.

• Brohoof 1

Well, a week or so ago, I was only active in the RP area. And even then, not very much.

But topics like this ALWAYS bring out an interesting philosophical conundrum...

Someone who is truly lurking would not respond to this topic, right?

So, by replying, doesn't that mean you're not lurking anymore?

Hmm...  :comeatus:

Is anyone else a lurker? I come on this site countless times but I post one thing like every 4 months. I usually come on here while listening to music and read a couple of threads. Anyone else do this? Forgive me for using '4chan terminology'.

Edit: At the time of posting, I was aware of the fact that people could come here, not post anything and then leave because they are, in fact, a lurker.

Kinda. I would personally post a bit more often. But I don't tend to post unless I feel my post has meaning

Here are some of my made up rules which stop me posting just random meaningless stuff/junk on the site.

1: Has what I just said already been said a thousand times. If so then there is no point me just going over the same thing.

2: Do I know enough about the subject in question to give a good educated answer. If no then my comment is likely to be too bias and vague.

3: I'm I old enough to answer the question. (Like I wasn't answer a question named "Do you smoke?" as I'm too young and don't even plan to go near them) If no then my advice/comment will be completely meaningless.

I consider myself a lurker for sure. Sometimes I just don't feel like posting and don't post for days on end (bar moderating). Dunno why, sometimes I'm either busy or have nothing extra to add to a conversation.