Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Top Moments in Each of the Last Five Seasons

Dark Qiviut

A few days ago, EQD's Calpain posted a discussion asking their viewers their top episode and moment of season five. As far as the moment is concerned, I'm going to go one step further. Rather than your top moment for one season, what are your top moments in each of the last five seasons? Every one of us has some, and I would like you tell us and explain them.

My top moments in each of them are:

Season 1: Fluttershy yelling "You're…going to LOVE ME!" and Rarity yelling "Afraid to get DIRTY?!" Each are self-explanatory.

Second on the list is either the hilarious exchange between Shy and Dash from the beginning of Sonic Rainboom or Dash's "20% cooler" from Suited for Success. The former for being a great exchange of comedy and the latter for being a great line that both fits Dash's character and the client she represents.

Season 2: The very beginning of The Smile Song. When the white screen fades, you see Pinkie's snappy gallop. Like the tone of the song, the little detail immediately tells the audience how happy she truly is. She doesn't have to tell you how important happiness of others is.

Second is the chase-then-fight scene between Twilight and her discorded friends at the Library.

Season 3: During Apple Family Reunion, as Granny Smith stated that she doesn't know if all of her family will be able to attend the next reunion, Appljack stared out her door, and two shooting stars (representing her late mom and dad, as stated by Sibsy on Twitter) soared through the sky. Granny Smith is like her other members at her age: They're getting older. Nobody knows if Granny Smith or her family will be alive to see another family reunion. That moment suggests that Applejack wants to make this family reunion their most memorable.

Runner-up is when Dash decided to quit training for the Wonderbolts. To be a WB was her dream, but to decide to stick up for her friends and integrity over her dream is a very noble sacrifice.

Season 4: Two moments from Testing Testing 1, 2, 3:

1. Pinkie's rap. Everything she did here screams Pinkie Pie, mainly how she delivers her lesson. Her demo's so hilarious 'cause of method and the well-created lower-quality visuals and audio. Nostalgia woven in so well.
  2. Twilight was able to figure out Rainbow Dash's biggest strength while flying besides her ability to fly fast. Each time she and her friends showed her techniques to study, Dash either was too inattentive or confused. Rather than helping her, they helped worsen her crisis. Dash was able to pay attention to the closest details from the ground while she's busy with something else. Led by Twilight, her friends and all of Ponyville helped her learn the history of the Wonderbolts. Just like The Smile Song, this climax shows us as viewers the true community of Ponyville. Dash gave so much to her; they returned the favor.

Season 5: So many to choose. But my most favorite is during the second act of Crusaders of the Lost Mark. When Tiara ran off, the CMCs decided to follow her to check if she was okay. Tiara lost not just the election, but also her closest friend (the only DT vote was herself). It's one thing for someone like Cheerille to ask the CMCs to check up on her, but the CMCs decided by themselves. It makes the musical, and Diamond Tiara's redmeption, feel natural. A little detail quantitatively, yet increases the story's plausibility. If anyone asks me one moment that highlights their maturity and popularity, it's this.

Second is Mayor Mare's speech. Rather than restate it, here's what I wrote from my analysis explaining why:

Even better is the moral. Mayor Mare's speech to the background characters was more than simply that. It was also dialogue to the bronies without being extremely explicit despite referencing the main cast. Mayor Mare said that Ponyville isn't simply the mane characters, but everyone else out there. Connect the same thing to the relationship the bronies have with the cast. The cast help make the show, but it doesn't feel complete without all of us. Everyone in Ponyville matters. Everyone who watches the show matters. Without bronies (me, you, adults, kids, male, female, and everyone in between), how can the show's popularity spread?

But the messages would feel really, really hollow if the moral's presentation was sloppy. As I listened to read Golden Fox's first impressions of the episode, I read the YouTube comments and came across

by Reflective Vagrant. This brony makes a really great point: As you listen to the moral, notice how the positions of both the seating and the placement of each character remain the same regardless of the camera angles, vector layout, and timing. Sometimes the background in other episodes is very inconsistent, especially the popping of characters in and out of specific shots dpeending on the angle or Easter Egg the staff wants to throw at their audience. The animators really take their time making sure the characters stay in one location throughout Mayor Mare's speech.

Why is this important? If the characters don't stay in one spot, then you marginalize not only the importance of Cranky and Matilda's wedding, but the moral, too. Remember, even with all the fanservice, there's still a story. A sloppy background implies a lack of attention by the in-story audience, thus informing the audience watching the show not to care about the wedding or Mayor Mare's speech. Due to lazy animation and composition, the implications of the close relationship between DHX/Hasbro and the older brony fandom suddenly becomes pointless. The attention by the in-story audience tells us, the viewers, to pay attention, too. Consequently, we listen to her and understand the moral stated in the show and implied by the overall theme of Slice of Life. Little detail, tremendous impact.

Lastly, Twilight Sparkle trying to persuade Starlight to try another chance at friendship. Think about it. Starlight lost her only friend at what should've been one of the best moments of anypony's life. The day he got his mark was the last time they ever saw each other. To us adults or teens, it sounds petty, but to a kid, it can make a very big impact. She never blamed him for their lost friendship; she blamed his mark, and she didn't want that to happen again. That's why she created Our Town — cutie marks others have are a trauma trigger. Twilight had to convince a psychologically scarred Starlight that she can't just let her anger fester and hurt others, whether it was Twilight, the Mane Six altogether, Starlight herself, or somebody else. By extending her hoof, she was willing to be a friend and help her.

Other favorite moments are the Mane Six's argument outside Sugar Belle's bakery and Rara singing The Magic Inside.

My top moment remains Applejack staring out the door and witnessing the shooting stars as Granny Smith converses behind.

• Brohoof 2

For season 1 I would say that my favorite moments would be: The introductions to all of the mane 6 and Twilight in episode 1, Rainbow Dash performing the Sonic Rainboom, the mane 6 backstories in The Cutie Mark Chronicles, Rarity whining in A Dog and Pony Show and the race between Applejack and Rainbow in Fall Weather Friends.

For season 2 my favorite moments would be: Rarity finding Sweetie Belle's drawing in Sisterhooves Social, Fluttershy messing with Discord as well as him in general in the Return of Harmony, Becoming Popular, Granny Smith's flashback in Family Appreciation Day, Twilight's mental breakdown in Lesson Zero, and the fight between the mane 6 and the changelings in A Canterlot Wedding.

Season 3: Spike saving the crystal heart in the Crystal Empire, the comedy in Too Many Pinkie Pies, Defeating Trixie in Magic Duel, A True True Friend, Celestia's Ballad and especially Twilight's speech at the end of Magical Mystery Cure.

Season 4: Giving up the elements of harmony in Princess Twilight Sparkle, All of Flight to the Finish, Rarity's rainbow connection in Rarity Takes Manehatten, The goof off in Pinkie Pride, Fluttershy agreeing to take baby steps in Filli Vanilli, Maud Pie keeping Pinkie's candy necklaces, TT123 montage showing how the town helped Rainbow Dash, The Moral of Equestria Games, and Twilight vs Tirek.

Season 5: The mane 5 giving Twilight the library roots with memory images in Castle Sweet Castle, The ending scene of Tanks for the Memories, Maud Roasting Discord, Octavia and Vinyl Scratch going out of control, Rainbow Dash and Gilda flashback/making up/reformation, Pinkie Pie's travel montage, Rules of Rarity, Film Noir Rarity, The Magic Inside song, Fluttershy deciding Nightmare Night just isn't her cup of tea, Moon Dancers breakdown, and most importantly the CMC getting their cutie marks.

Edited by cmarston1

My favorite moments through GIFS!

SEASON 1

979751__safe_solo_rarity_animated_screen

SEASON 2 

16741__safe_rarity_animated_spike_secret

SEASON 3 - It was a tough call between Dash quitting the WB and this, but this beat it by a hair

469011__safe_rainbow+dash_animated_upvot

SEASON 4 

844819__safe_twilight+sparkle_rainbow+da

SEASON 5 

902593__safe_rainbow+dash_pinkie+pie_ani

I wanted to see Gilda back and finally got my wish(along with other things like Raridash and more Scootalove :P)

• 2 weeks later...

Season 1 in Dog and Pony Show the "that's not whining ....THIS is whining" scene.

Season 2 Return of Harmony Fluttershy  diving on Dash & asking to hold her down (pure Fluttershy)

Season 3 Wonderbolts Accadamy where the tornado eats them & their balloon

Season 4 For Whom the Sweetie Bell Toils, the part of the nightmare sequence where Rarity collapses in a hissy fit & Sweetie repents

season 1: 

Dragonshy: Fluttershy flipping out and cutting that epic promo on the dragon.  :angry:

Bride Gossip: That whole scene where the poison joke kicks in and Flutterguy appears. Funniest thing ever when I saw it the first time.

Sonic Rainboom: Yay! scene :yay:

A Dog and Pony Show: This is whining! 

season 2:

Lesson Zero: "Clock is ticking, Twilight!" scene

May the Best Pet Win: The Find a Pet song  :wub:

The Mysterious Mare Do Well: Rainbow feeling lonely on the cloud scene.

Read It and Weep: The scene where Rainbow realizes she loves reading and says "I'm an egghead!"

Putting Your Hoof Down: When Fluttershy cuts another legendary promo on Pinkie and Rarity. Edgy, I know  :squee:

Hurricane Fluttershy: All of it, but especially the end.

A Canterlot Wedding: This Day Aria

Season 3:

The Crystal Empire: The scene where Twilight and Spike find Sombra's enchanted room or whatever. The moment where MLP took a really dark turn (and not just in tone  :P kek jk tbh the show didn't go downhill until later  ;) )

Sleepless In Ponyville: When Dash takes Scoots under her wing.

Magical Mystery Cure: >tfw A True, True Friend starts  :D

idk about seasons 4 and 5. Definitely include the end of Testing, Testing 1, 2, 3 when all of Ponyville teams up to help Dash out. Ending of Filli Vanilli. I'll probably think of more later  :)

Wonderful idea for a thread and some excellent moments @@Dark Qiviut! :)

Season 1: Fluttershy's final breakdown in 'The Best Night Ever' is perhaps one of my most replayed scenes in the whole of FiM. :angry: Might as well just leave this here for old time's sake :P

Season 2: Fluttershy confronts her demons and speeds up to help increase the wind power of the tornado in 'Hurricane Fluttershy'.

Season 3: The Apple family raising the barn in 'Apple Family Reunion'. Also from that episode, the moment when AJ sees the shooting stars. 

Honorable Mention: 'Celestia's Ballad' and Twilight's accompanying montage.

Season 4: Maud's smile in 'Maud Pie'. I love everything about that exchange with Twilight: the fact that Maud keeps all of Pinkie's candy necklaces despite not liking candy, her little smile as she looks at her very different sister, and her final line "I don't really like candy...but I do love Pinkie Pie'. :maud: <3 

Honorable Mention: Fluttershy takes to the stage in 'Filli Vanilli'.  :squee: