Why do you think Princess Celestia really took Twilight as her personal student?

Midnight Blossom

Why did Princess Celestia really take Twilight as her personal student?   

33 users have voted

1. 1. Aside from seeing the her magic potential, why do you think Princess Celestia Took Twilight Sparkle to be her personal student?

• No other reason. It was purely because she wanted to teach a young filly to develop and control a potentially strong internal magic.
    • She glimpsed at one or more possible futures and thought Twilight might be a pony who would play a large role in said visions and hoped to guide her towards that path for the greater good of Equestria
    • She saw Twilight's potential and it reminded her of Luna when she was young. In a way she hoped by mentoring Twilight she could some how make up for the wrongs in how Luna's past turned out. ( I.e do things differently than she had in the past)
    • After being alive and alone for so long she simply wanted company and companionship
    • Somewhat along the lines of option four, but she took Twilight under her wing as more of a way to fill a maternal desire
    • Something entirely different (other)

Hello everypony,

This is something i have been wondering about for some time. Partly because of the familiarity Twilight and her friends are allowed with royalty even before her brother marries Cadence, or Twilight herself becomes a princess. Aside from the occasional bow when greeting the princess most of the time when Twilight greets or even speaks to Celestia it doesn't come across as one who is truly addressing royalty. It honestly feels more like to Twilight Celestia is something more, like a close friend or adopted family member, before she's the ruler of Equestria.  I've tried searching to learn a bit more about the relationship between Celestia and Twilight Sparkle but i end up coming across fan fictions that put their relationship in more of i romantic regard as full grown ponies. This as you can guess by the title of the topic did not help me in any way shape or form. So I came up with a few ideas and was wondering what you all thought on the matter. 

Now we all saw during "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" that filly Twilight's brief outburst of innate magic caught the Princess' attention. But what do you think made her decide to take young Twilight as her PERSONAL STUDENT who would live with her at the castle (or at least on castle grounds), instead of say recommending her for courses higher than the ones she was currently in with say an occasional lesson or progress report in front of the princess every so often to check on her progress?

The answer choices I put were the one's that I thought might seem more probable or likely than some of the other ideas I had, and would just as easily explain why twilight not only acts the way she always has around Celestia, but also why Celestia just seems to chuckle at some of the things twilight does. 

1. Celestia took Twilight as a student PURELY for academic reasons. She felt that with the potential the young filly showed, only a select group of teachers, and herself would be able to truly foster the magic that lay within the young filly. Because of this she felt that staying at the castle would be easier as it would guarantee that Twilight never missed a course, that she would have access to the most extensive library for her studies, and that the princess could monitor her closely and help when she struggled. The familiarity would come as the princess would likely try to instill in Twilight early on that though she may be the princess, while Twilight is her pupil she is her teacher and mentor first. Thus she should be treated at such BEFORE being treated as the ruler of Equestria. 

2. It's been said that Celestia has prophetic dreams, but no one is certain how often, how clear, and how far all of her dreams are able to see. Nor do we know how much of EVERY such dream she remembers throughout the years. It is possible that at some point in time Celestia had such a dream that showed her a young pony displaying great magic, and then parts of the future beyond that where a young pony wielding great magic would do great things for the land of Equestria. It may not have shown her who this pony would be, hence Sunset being her pupil before Twilight, so when she saw Twilight's display it may have reminded her of the dream she once had, and she hoped that Twilight might in fact be the pony she had seen in her vision (much like she would have for Sunset). Hoping this was the case she would have tried to help guide young Twilight down the path she felt would lead her towards the events she had seen in her dreams.

3. When Celestia saw Twilight's display whether it had been an intention display or not, it reminded her a bit of the power her little sister had. Perhaps she thought that without proper guidance, and influence the young filly might turn out to be like her sister had, and she would be forced to make yet another hard choice for the fate of Equestria. Because of this and her own guilt for the events that may have led up to Luna's decent into becoming Nightmare Moon she may have decided to take Twilight under her wing and do what she could to ensure that such a fate would not befall the young pony. (Kind of a "She has so much power. Just like Luna. What if she turns out like she did. Will i have to banish her too? Will I allow another pony to suffer for something I could have prevented?") 

4. Celestia has been around for over 1000 years, much of that time she spent alone. Not physically alone mind you as she is the ruler of the land and had duties she must attend to and all. But on a personal level after Luna's banishment to the moon she felt alone. (It's very easy for one to feel alone even when surrounded by those who profess to adore you. Various celebrities mention such feelings all the time,) Perhaps when she thought about how to help Twilight with her magic, at the same time she was hoping to gain a friend or someone to keep her company in the castle that wasn't there simply out of a sense of duty, or responsibility, but rather someone who wanted, to be there. Wanted to spend time with her not as a symbol of status but to learn, and look up to her as a pony not a princess.

5. This one follows a kind of similar thought start as number four did, Though rather than wanting a friend or companion, Celestia felt a more maternal desire to look after and help young Twilight. She'd see herself as becoming like an adopted mother for twilight (kind of how growing up your best friends mother might say you're like an adopted child of theirs because of how close you and their child are and how often you're at their place. They'd treat you like their own child and fret over you if something happened just as they would with their own children) As a pony who holds within her tremendous magic Celestia would be able to understand some of the things Twilight would go through as a unicorn whom also had within her great magic. She'd likely teach her in more of a way that a mother would teach their child than a teacher would a student. As Celestia helped young twilight grow into the alicorn she is today it would have been like raising a daughter for her. 

Personally I feel like option 5 comes the closest to what the true relationship between Celestia and Twilight is like. Every time I look at the way the two of the act around each other, it seems more like a mother-daughter type of relationship than a teacher-student, ruler-subject type of relationship. Even after Twilight becomes a princess the interactions between the two don't seem to change. I think the only reason she refers to Celestia as princess at all is because she knows that's how she is SUPPOSED to refer to her especially when around other ponies. Though this theory might put a bit of bias as to her being chosen for ascension to princess as i think the ascension was gifted to her by Celestia herself as she was the one who showed up before twilight when she ascended. In a way like "I helped raise her, I've watched her grow and accomplish many things, overcome many trials. I think she is ready for this" and then does something that causes twilight to ascend (personally I think the magic involved in ascending a pony to an alicorn is something that likely requires two or more alicorns to be present to achieve. which would be what she was referring to when she told Luna, "She will succeed at her task. And when she does, we'll know she is that much closer to being ready." )

Anyways, these are just my thoughts, the thoughts, or a tired pony who should have been asleep long ago. 

I'd like to here everypony else's thoughts on the matter. Feel free to participate in the poll, expand on any choice you might make, or if you select other feel free to give your theories on the nature of their relationship (in a non romantic relationship manner of course. trying to keep it platonic)

Sunset Daisy

Celestia witnessed her magic awaken and saw how powerful and chaotic it was. Celestia would offer to help any unicorn with such powerful magic if she found one. Perhaps not taken her on as a personal student (after losing sunset shimmer) but most definately would have tried to fast track that unicorn into her magic school (if he/she weren't already applying)

What probably made Celestia decided to make Twilight a protege rather than just a student is her cutie mark, Celestia saw that mark on the Tree of Harmony prior to her battle with Discord. So even if Twilight didn't become a princess or anything. One thing she did know is that she would become a pony of some importance to the future of equestria.

Edited by Malinter

Well her cutie mark matched the symbol on the Tree of Harmony, which also had Celestia and Luna's. That would be extra incentive to keep an eye on her.

According to Lauren, Celestia had also arranged for Twilight to get the egg test because she had a special feeling about her, so passing the test would probably prove her feelings were correct.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 2

Celestia sensed that the Force was strong within her, and believed her to have been concieved by the midichlorians. (I've seen the Phantom Menace too recently).

Edited by LHfunk
  • Brohoof 1

I think initially it was just about training a magical prodigy, but as time went on, she began to see Twilight in a maternal way, and also maybe began to see her potential for defeating Nightmare Moon, as at that point, it would be fast approaching.

@@LHfunk, So, does that mean Twilight's eventually gonna turn to the Dark Side? :P

On the topic, well, I assume it's because she saw the vast potential for magic within her, so, she took her on as a student to train her to use it properly, and hopefully ascend as an alicorn someday. Or maybe no one else showed up for the audition.  :wat: 

@@LHfunk, So, does that mean Twilight's eventually gonna turn to the Dark Side? :P

On the topic, well, I assume it's because she saw the vast potential for magic within her, so, she took her on as a student to train her to use it properly, and hopefully ascend as an alicorn someday. Or maybe no one else showed up for the audition. :wat:

That would actually make for an awesome twist if she turned evil. Human Twi did, and we've seen Pony Twi use dark magic.

• Brohoof 1

Some very great theories and ideas everypony. It's nice to get a sense of how others feel on the matter. Though i sense that what ever ulterior motive Celestia may have had. Helping a young filly with immense magic learn to control it properly seems to be the common thread between them all.

But Twilight already had a mother... How would that add up right?

For this i point to my reference about a close friends pseudo adopting their child's best friend. They tend to look after the child as if it were their own when the child is left in their care. and some times the come to think of the child as one of their own in a way. I've had this happen with my best friend when i was little. We'd spend so much time together at each others house, be it just hanging out or sleep overs, that their parents started treating me like one of their own children. My parents did the same to my friend. We were such close friend we may as well have been siblings. Often when either family would go to like an amusement park we'd invite the other to come with. I remember one night I couldn't sleep and I sat on the couch staring outside as my friend slept at the other end (they fell asleep watching the movie we just finished). My friends dad saw me just sitting there staring outside and asked me "hey kiddo what's on your mind?" we sat there and talked for about an hour before i finally felt calm enough to fall asleep on the couch. When i woke up both my friend and i had been tucked into the two twin beds in their room (yes i had my own bed to sleep in at their place. it's how often we spent the night at each others) 

Point is it's not uncommon for someone to have maternal or paternal feelings for a child that isn't their own. Even when they know full well that said child has loving/caring parents. It 

Whatever the reason, we know Twilight's family had connections. How many average people have a princess as their baby-sitter?

I'm not sure if Cadence was her foal sitter, before Celestia took twilight in or after. If it was before perhaps Shining had already been accepted into the guard by that point and Cadence saw Twilight and offered to be her foal sitter. It may have even been before Cadence was officially a princess (considering how Twilight didn't recognize her full name when she was introduced as PRINCESS Mi Amore Candenza)

I'll go w Silvadel on this.  In part 2 of Princess Twilight (Season 4 pilot), it was clearly shown that the Tree of Harmony had Twilight's cute mark on it.  I'd take that as a hint to her potential.

Plus, part 1 of Friendship Is Magic (series pilot), the ancient prophecy was "...the stars will aid in her escape".  IMO, Celestia was aware of that prophecy (another thread) & took in Twilight to mold her into helping Luna.

Edited by sweetolebob18
  • Brohoof 1

It was also the reaction Celestia had.  She even pointed out to Twilight that she had gotten her cutie mark.  Sure Celestia was considering what to do with Twilight after having to stop all the fireworks she did, but upon seeing the mark....

Twilight's cutie mark was the element of magic on the tree of harmony, and the journal of the two sisters had starswirl, having traveled through time, hint that he'd seen the wielder of it in the future with a wink to celestia.

As such, I think celestia probably hit on "Hey, this kid is probably the wielder of the elements of harmony!" upon seeing twilight's cutie mark and her magical freak out.

• 2 years later...

I know that the topic ended a long time ago but I want to comment xD

I always thought that, initially, Celestia saw Twilight more as a weapon ... I mean, the elements of harmony originally had no carrier, now that she has one and this element '' thinks '' politically it is not convenient to have him as an enemy.

So much so that even Celestia, despite having developed an appreciation for Twilight, always resorts to it when a problem occurs.

• Brohoof 1

Celestia knows she's not immune to physical harm. Should she no longer be able to rule she would need somepony to take her place. With her sister banished and returning still evil, she had to sought out for them. This is where the school for magically gifted unicorns comes in. It's really a recruiting and training station for potential leadership positions. If the right unicorn came along and showed traits worthy of wielding the element of magic, then it would just come down to finding the other elements which would probably be much easier afterwards. If such a unicorn wasn't found, then at least you had a selection of ones with enough power to at least make an attempt at saving the day.

Twilight was chosen in particular for the sheer amount of magic she was capable of wielding with the right training, which was very convenient considering the failure of Sunset Shimmer and Nightmare Moon's return kind of being just around the corner. The high level of risk to the plan at this point is part of why Celestia stayed hidden until everything was resolved I think. If Twilight wasn't able to find and use the Elements of Harmony, then at least Nightmare Moon could have been weakened and distracted enough from her victorious fight for Celestia to have a slight advantage over her.

ICR where I first saw this, but it made sense to me.

Legend has it that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape and she will bring about nighttime eternal!

Look at Twilight's Cutie Mark

Remember, more than 1 "her" escaped that night -including Luna

Remember that nobles (especially royalty) often have meaningless but poetic titles

If one of Luna's was "The Eternal Night" (or some such)

Then, the "she" obviously refers to Twilight & the prophecy was completely  right if a bit poetically expressed. Celestia undoubtedly knew of the legend (maybe even started it?). IMO she was counting on something like that happening. To me, it wasn't chance that put the celebration in  Ponyville & it was no coincidence that the ponies she met "just happened" to be the other Element Bearers