Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Give reasons as to why Pinkie doesn't have HPD

SilverStarApple

In this thread, give reasons, evidence, theories, headcanons, and so forth as to why Pinkie Pie does not have Histrionic Personality Disorder. She may have something else, she may have nothing at all, but it certainly isn't HPD. Quick note, I do not have any particular vendetta against HPD or people who suffer from it, I just find it somewhat annoying when people claim Pinkie has it due to one to three cherry-picked events twisted like a spin-doctor.

1. Her mental breakdown in Party of One was not caused by not being the center of attention, it was caused by thinking her friends didn't love her or her parties any more, secretly hated her, and wanted nothing more to do with her.

2. She was perfectly happy with Rainbow Dash being the center of attention in The One With The Polka Guy. She was upset when Polka Pie effortlessly upstaged and one-upped her in every possible field, making her Rainbow Dash feel happier than she ever could. If this were a Steven Universe episode, many 'Does this remind you of anything... else?' scenes and lines would be pretty much everywhere, rather than staying in subtext.

3. Pinkie did not react violently in Applebuck Season, an episode that happened before her character development, and before every writer had the character's personality explained to them in full.

4. The rapidly-shifting emotions in Pilot Episode Part Two was a Visual Gag. Unless we're assuming that the eye-waterfalls are some kind of trick Earth Ponies can pull, a la Tekkai.

5. In Dragonshy, she believed that by being fun and likable, the Dragon will become her friend. I'm... not sure why this particular instance gets mentioned so often. Everypony loves Pinkie. She's fun, lighthearted, and genuinely tries to be everypony's friend. But when the Dragon didn't like her, she didn't take it personally or thrash against the insides of her head in confused animalistic rage as I've seen someone with HPD do. (If this is not normal, and that particular person was just really bad and unstable and it had nothing to do with her HPD, then I apologize to those with HPD that handle it better than that person)

6. Her odd manner of speaking is an endearing character trait that fits her belief that ponies will like her more if she exhausts herself by trying to be more of a perpetually-happy ball of sunshine and laughter than she naturally is. Claiming this fits "Lack of detail when speaking" symptom takes some serious twisting, considering she can use actual detail in sentences when she needs to, and can apparently tell stories well enough to make audiences (like the CMC) feel like they were truly there.

7. She has shown other signs and symptoms, ones the HPD!Pinkie crowd typically gloss over or ignore for not fitiing in, or try to shoehorn them im anyway.

• Brohoof 1

She's friends with every pony but doesn't abandon her original friends. She manages to strike a balance and learned to understand different types of friendships after A Friend in Deed. She's not easily offended. When RD said Doodle didn't want to deal with her hyperactivity or whatever the exact quote was she was sad but at the concept of not having Doodle as a friend, not the wording of RD. She's open to objective criticism.  She's random but she's also extremely organized as we saw in Party Pooped. (I think that was the name of the ep.).

I agree with your assessment. I think she's just an extreme extrovert with possible ADHD.

• Brohoof 1

She doesn't have HPD, because its a kid's show and I am sure the writers didn't give them mental illnesses, so speculating if characters in a world where it is certain mental illness doesn't exist, at least on a show level is kind of pointless   :confused:

• Brohoof 2

I find it funny we're all on a forum about a little girl's show and some are saying not to over analyze. That's kind of the point of a forum. I also think it's funny we're on a forum over analyzing if Pinkie has a personality disorder and if Twilight is a murderer of Pinkie clones...in a little girl's show.

I find it funny we're all on a forum about a little girl's show and some are saying not to over analyze. That's kind of the point of a forum. I also think it's funny we're on a forum over analyzing if Pinkie has a personality disorder and if Twilight is a murderer of Pinkie clones...in a little girl's show.

For the record:

1. "A little girl's show" is not a faor criticism of MLP, just like "a children's ball game" is not a fair criticism of basketball and "A children's video game" is not a fair criticism of Pokémon.

2. No, Twilight is not a murderer for deleting the false replicas of Pinkie Pie made with a magical mirror pool. Those were shallow, cheap imitations of the real Pinkie with no true sentience or care for other beings. Twilight's no more a murderer of Pinkies than she'd be a murderer of Trixies if she used a fire spell and Twilight put out said fires.

• Brohoof 1

For the record:

1. "A little girl's show" is not a faor criticism of MLP, just like "a children's ball game" is not a fair criticism of basketball and "A children's video game" is not a fair criticism of Pokémon.

2. No, Twilight is not a murderer for deleting the false replicas of Pinkie Pie made with a magical mirror pool. Those were shallow, cheap imitations of the real Pinkie with no true sentience or care for other beings. Twilight's no more a murderer of Pinkies than she'd be a murderer of Trixies if she used a fire spell and Twilight put out said fires.

I'm just making a light hearted joke. I'm not criticizing anypony for their analysis.. In fact I contributed to the the tread in a previous post with my thoughts on why she doesn't have HPD.

Edit. You quoted me so I wasn't sure if your comment was aimed directly at me or those who are saying it's pointless not to analyze a girl's show.

Edited by Aurora Storm

I'm just making a light hearted joke. I'm not criticizing anypony for their analysis.. In fact I contributed to the the tread in a previous post with my thoughts on why she doesn't have HPD.

Edit. You quoted me so I wasn't sure if your comment was aimed directly at me or those who are saying it's pointless not to analyze a girl's show.

It's aimed at those who are saying it's pointless to analyse a thing that happens to be called a girl's show, not you in particular. The belief is wrong, but you having said belief doesn't make you stupid. You just believe something stupid.

It's okay to analyse a girl's show, just like it's okay to watch a girl's show and like a girl's show.

Also, everyone, thanks for your contribution to to the thread.

She doesn't have HPD, because its a kid's show and I am sure the writers didn't give them mental illnesses, so speculating if characters in a world where it is certain mental illness doesn't exist, at least on a show level is kind of pointless :confused:

The symbol in your name is preventing me from sending a message to you using the miraculous device people in millenia long past dreamed of having known as a phone. How can I get around this?

My youngest sister was borderline hyperactive.  She had to drink ICR how much (honey, no sugar) coffee every day. (The caffeine helps them focus & calms them down.  School didn't believe this.  Parents had to go down w doctor's note + lawyer to get them to allow it.  God bless the state of Texas) (Amazing number of people think 5 year olds shouldn't drink coffee)

But, the point is at times Pinkie acts a lot like my sister did when she had too much sugar (like, any at all).  So, yeah, I agree no HPD 

Edited by sweetolebob18

Are you able to provide evidence supporting that claim?

I have this absolutely insane idea that this show is an episodic children's cartoon. I know it's been well established that this show was intended as a spiritual successor to lord of the rings but I just think based on hints the writers have given that they don't really think about these things and that most of the physics breaking stuff (and things of the like) are done for comedic purposes. And I know it's been well established that the whole show is like a metaphor for what would happen if America was taken over by the Soviet union and Twilight is a brainwashed civilian in this terrible future. But I think if you look into it a bit deeper you'll find there isn't really much connecting the episodes together. Seriously what it is with the insane fan theories? I never saw people do this to shows like Spongebob or powerpuff girls. 

• Brohoof 1

I have this absolutely insane idea that this show is an episodic children's cartoon. I know it's been well established that this show was intended as a spiritual successor to lord of the rings but I just think based on hints the writers have given that they don't really think about these things and that most of the physics breaking stuff (and things of the like) are done for comedic purposes. And I know it's been well established that the whole show is like a metaphor for what would happen if America was taken over by the Soviet union and Twilight is a brainwashed civilian in this terrible future. But I think if you look into it a bit deeper you'll find there isn't really much connecting the episodes together. Seriously what it is with the insane fan theories? I never saw people do this to shows like Spongebob or powerpuff girls.

That's because you're going to the wrong sites. Spongebob is Jesus trapped forever in purgatory, manifestations of the seven deadly sins surrounding him daily, and PPG is futurist designer baby propaganda that proves if your baby is cool enough, she can defeat satan and vastly outperform every other baby ever. Also, it's okay to be a single parent, but not a terrible one.

(I am only joking about PPG.)

Personally, knowing the type of show this is, I am pretty sure that this wasn't in mind in the portrayal of Pinkie Pie's character.

I highly doubt any of the main characters were designed to have some kind of mental disorder or something at all.

• Brohoof 1

That's because you're going to the wrong sites. Spongebob is Jesus trapped forever in purgatory, manifestations of the seven deadly sins surrounding him daily, and PPG is futurist designer baby propaganda that proves if your baby is cool enough, she can defeat satan and vastly outperform every other baby ever. Also, it's okay to be a single parent, but not a terrible one.

(I am only joking about PPG.)

Wait you actually believe the Spongebob one? And let me rephrase that. This is one of the few fanbases where I've seen ridiculous fan theories be so wide spread and talked about. 

• Brohoof 1