Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sugar Pea

Before you state the obvious, why do you think Pinkie Pie has a different color scheme than the rest of her family?
img-1816742-1-o6zdjl.png

As you can see, she shares no color scheme with her family what-so-ever, even with her sisters Mince Meat Pie and Chicken Pot Pie.

She could share the same color schemes as her unseen relatives, Nana Pinkie and Granny Pie, who taught her basically everything she knows. (parasprites, mirror pool, concur fears, etc)

But other than that, what do you have to respond to this, and why is she apparently different from her family? Could it be to make her stand out for she is one of the main protagonists?
Have any conspiracies? 

Edited by Nature Of Fluttershy
  • Brohoof 2

Pinkie Pie is pink because her family is gray scale and her family is used to contrast against Pinkie Pie to better highlight her personality and character. There is a literary term for this, but I have forgotten what it is. It's on the tip of my tongue.

Edited by Chesher
  • Brohoof 1

Do you remember the Baby cakes episode?

The one where Mr. and Mrs. cake had a unicorn and pegasus babies even though they are both earth ponies? 

And do you remember when Mr. Cake said it was because of Mrs. Cakes grate-great aunt was a pegasus and his uncle was a unicorn? (sorry I don't know the exact quote from the show. :)

I assume its something like that, gens passed down through generations of ponies.

Mr._Cake_explaining_traits_S2E13.png

Edited by Onylex
  • Brohoof 1

It's probably a trait that was recessive in Pinkie's parents, but then became dominant in Pinkie.

BIOLOGY TIME

Maybe Pinkie's pink coat is the result of incomplete dominance. Since her parents are grey, and could have maybe a recessive gene for a white coat, maybe one of Pinkie's grandparents had a white coat, and another had a red coat. It may be far fetched, but it's a possibility.

• Brohoof 2

Recessive gene for coat colour. That's the most logical explanation, even if it's not the most likely. She doesn't need to match her family's colour scheme; there is biological room for a bright pink pony instead of a dull-coloured one.

It's otherwise almost certainly to do with her cutie mark and her role as one of the six Elements of Harmony. The whole process of deciding who wields the Elements of Harmony is still unclear, but we can assume someone's cutie mark and corresponding destiny to be decided from birth, right? So the moment Pinkie Pie was born and her destiny was set to be an entertainer, she was given the bright pink colour due to her Element of Harmony slipping into place. It would explain why the Element of Laughter necklace is a blue balloon; matches the balloons on her cutie mark. :)

• Brohoof 1

I think the question should be: 

Why is Pinkie Pie named Pinkie Pie? 

If the rest of her family is named after rocks, (( like Limestone )) then why is she named Pinkamena Diane Pie? 

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I think she's pink because before she earned her cutie mark, she was a lot more gray and a dull-sort of color. It seems like it shouldn't be a happy color, so when she did earn her cutie mark, she turned a brighter, happier shade of pink. 

• Brohoof 1

Because it's a show for little girls and they need a pink character.

Seriously though, it's probably a recessive trait, as a few other people have pointed out, and a few of her ancestors were pink.

Also, her family is all different colors, so it doesn't really seem that unusual in her family.

Edited by Edible Man

Well, I have a few theories for this.

First one is a rather common one in this thread, and is a pretty logical answer. Her pink color is probably a recessive trait that was passed down to her; probably from her grandmother: Nana Pinkie.

My second one is not as logical, but it might be the case. In fiction, the creators often use a certain design to emphasize one particular thing from the rest. In this case, they used color to emphasize Pinkie Pie. You see, if Pinkie Pie was designed with the same colors as the rest of her family, she would blend in, and the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic crew obviously didn't want that to happen. So, when they make her pink, it makes her stand out from the rest, and you, the viewer, focus your attention on Pinkie Pie. 

Also, symbolism may be another reason for this. Pink is symbolizing Pinkie Pie's bubbly and happy personality, and the grayish dull colors of her family represent how dull they are. I think this is a pretty likely possibility for the explanation of Pinkie Pie's color.

Do you remember the Baby cakes episode?

The one where Mr. and Mrs. cake had a unicorn and pegasus babies even though they are both earth ponies? 

And do you remember when Mr. Cake said it was because of Mrs. Cakes grate-great aunt was a pegasus and his uncle was a unicorn? (sorry I don't know the exact quote from the show. :)

I assume its something like that, gens passed down through generations of ponies.

img-1816764-1-Mr._Cake_explaining_traits

First me nitpicking. 

Mr. Cake said, that it was his great, great, great, great grandfather was a unicorn and Mrs. Cake great aunt, second cousin twice removed was a pegasus.

Still I do agree with you on this one. If you look at the twines in the episode Pumpkin Cake looks exactly like Mr. Cake and Pound Cake looks nothing like either parent. So he must have in hearted traits from a different family member.

So it's the same with Pinkie. She looks like a different family member. Who it is, I don't know.

• Brohoof 1

• 10 years later...
On 2013-09-05 at 8:01 PM, Bohtty said:

Pinkie Pie is pink because her family is gray scale and her family is used to contrast against Pinkie Pie to better highlight her personality and character. There is a literary term for this, but I have forgotten what it is. It's on the tip of my tongue.

Is the term that you're looking for "foil character"?

• 2 weeks later...

Because Greyie Pie and Beigie Pie wouldn't have been nearly as interesting.  :P

I think I'll agree with some of the other points here, in that it could be a recessive trait. Makes the most sense to me.