Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Windows 10 did I make the right choice?

cider float

Okay so I "upgraded" to Windows 10 from 8.1 last minute just before this coming end of 2015. Now I'm not sure if I made the wrong choice. First of all all my Chrome bookmarks are gone since I didn't back it up (I didn't know they will disappear) and now I feel my internet browser load slower than usual. I suppose I can switch back to 8.1 but that means I can't go back to Windows 10. I mean I'm on a fairly new computer and I don't want to mess it up anyhow. What do you think?

Edited by cider float

I'm not the most computer savvy person there is, but I've enjoyed the switch to Windows 10. I've had it since the free upgrades went out, and there's only been a few moments of slowness. There was a trick I found:  go to settings and turn off "show me tips about Windows 10" which surprisingly worked for me. 

That sucks about your bookmarks - I didn't have that issue. 

Windows 10 looks nice, but under the surface it's a pile of cheese.

I use Windows 10, but Microsoft love to spy on you 100% of the time. Search online about which setting you need to disable, as I can't remember off of the top of my head.

I personally like it now that I have disabled a lot of things, but I don't like the fact that it has auto updates, they have messed up my PC in the past, and will probably do the same thing again.

By the way, about your bookmarks. Did you sign into Chrome using a Google account?

Edited by SystemError514.

Well I got my bookmarks back but installing drivers I had and worked smoothly is driving me nuts (pun unintended). I can't get GeForce Experience to work at all on Windows 10. On Windows 8 this was smooth sailing, now I just get a "Not Responding" on my GeForce Experience, how can I install my Game Ready Driver? All my games now look like shit. I just found out GeForce Experience doesn't seem to be compatible with Windows 10.

I didn't make the right choice this sucks.

If I where you I would use Windows 7.

Windows 8.1 was good enough. Windows 7 takes a decade to boot and shut down. Here's advice for anyone with Windows 8.1 and GeForce Experience and have last seconds thoughts on switching to 10, don't do it. My games look like someone took a shit on them.

EDIT: I guess I can use this option if need be (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/going-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-81) should I wait if Windows 10 gets better or go back right away? Is DirectX12 just a big scam to get you to upgrade to Windows 10?

Edited by cider float

Revert back while you have the chance. The next time you upgrade your PC, you'll likely have 10 on it in a more mature state with all the drivers it needs. Until then though, it's just not in a mature enough state for me to recommend it. Plus, there are quite a few things about it that leave a bad taste in my mouth, like the forced updates, the mutilated second control panel and the windows 95-styled start menu.

Me personally, I have enjoyed WIndows 10 so far. IT is pretty elegant and Edge is quite good, though they still need to work out some kinks to it. I just think the overall UI has far more unity than Windows 8 did. I would say stick with it.

I might stick with it until a month (the limit to which you can't switch back) or so hoping for better drivers and upgrades towards it because I mean that Direct 12X is dangling in front of me what if there are games that can only use that... ugh Microsoft is dangling a carrot in front of me. I don't want to buy my OS if I switch back to 8.1 and then suddenly need Windows 10 for compatibility though I'm sure most game companies will make sure to make games that are still compatible to Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 knowing that the companies won't let Microsoft jeopardize their business with such a half assed released OS. I mean I somehow got it features I want to work but it's a bit clunky, definitely feels more like a beta than a full released OS.

One thing I hate about Windows 10 is that it auto updates everything without your consent. What if you liked a previous driver version or something? I tried that and when I rebooted it updated back to the top driver that felt dysfunctional.

Also I feel like my computer's vents are roaring a little louder than usual when I raise my graphics, this is a bummer....

Edited by cider float

Windows 10 has been pretty good for me so far and I upgraded some time last week. The only thing that sucks is that a few of my online games don't seem to work properly. One of them I can't even open without it causing me problems, the other works fine but my cursor freezes up whenever I close the game, so eh.

I guess it's overall alright for me at the moment, though I almost feel like I should have stuck with Windows 7 up until the free upgrade ended.

• 4 years later...
35 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Anyone still think Windows 10 is good?

I am sitting on Windows 7, but it is running a little bit slow lately. I will have to make a choice soon. :worry:

(4 year old thread dude :))

Support for Windows 7 has just ended today - I guess that is why you are here. Windows 10 is much better than it used to be, but the thing of updates screwing things up is still relevant.

10 minutes ago, SystemError514. said:

(4 year old thread dude :))

Support for Windows 7 has just ended today - I guess that is why you are here. Windows 10 is much better than it used to be, but the thing of updates screwing things up is still relevant.

No, I didn't know. It was pure luck! :BornAgainBrony:

• Brohoof 1

I have been using Windows 10 (since I had no way to downgrade my used laptop I got a year ago to Windows 7, the OS it's meant to have),

I absolutely fucking hate Windows 10,
It's way slower than Windows 7 or 8.1 would be,
It's way buggier than Windows 7 or 8.1 (however windows 8 was a bit more like Windows 10 with the speed issues and buggyiness, but these seem to have been removed from windows 8.1),
The design is super flat and plain, unlike windows 7,
it's a pain in the arse to add transparency,
amongst lots of other gripes,

However, atleast Edge is good

• 6 months later...