Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Curious about Dark magic

Drunkfrank

Dark Magic seems to be one of most evil things in Equestria, but my question is...what is it? Was it created, or was it just there. It seems the Tree of Harmony is the main source of all "light magic" So I wonder if it has a counterpart that is the main source of all dark magic.

• Brohoof 1

not all dark magic is evil per-se. But rather the fact that it is powered by negative emotions that is the problem. Celestia can use Dark Magic quite easily if she remembers something she fears or hates. But you have to draw on emotional suffering to use it. The only way dark magic can get stronger is to let negative emotions consume you completely.

• Brohoof 1

not all dark magic is evil per-se. But rather the fact that it is powered by negative emotions that is the problem. Celestia can use Dark Magic quite easily if she remembers something she fears or hates. But you have to draw on emotional suffering to use it. The only way dark magic can get stronger is to let negative emotions consume you completely.

Sounds like a Sith equivalent to me

Dark Magic I think is the opposite of the magic of friendship. It is pretty much devoid of all of the properties that make friendship what it is. All ponies can create this magic, but as Malinter said, it most likely requires letting negative emotions take over. 

This essentially reminds me of The Force in Star Wars being that the traditional view that there is a "light" and "dark" side but with there being plenty of evidence that certain things may be a bit more gray. In MLP we have seen this with Celestia able to use dark magic without succumbing to it meaning that some "dark magic" may be able to be used for neutral or good purposes though since emotions are a likely source I can see how that may in some cases be more difficult. In the case of Star Wars mostly in the expanded universe you have characters like Revan who don't seem to be firmly in the light or dark sides. The force both light and dark all seem to be intertwined with the universe itself both in living and non living things and we see plenty of evidence that the same can be said of magic in MLP. This reminds me of the anime Fairy Tail where it is believe through ancient legends that magic all came from a "true magic" that once existed so something like the Tree of Harmony could reflect something like that.

This poses the question of what if what we know as "light" and "dark" magic are merely two sides of the same coin? It is a question that has been asked in the Star Wars expanded universe often with some unexpected results such as a sith Darth Vectivus surprisingly not being evil and the Jedi actually not being immune from committing atrocities such as the Padawan Massacre of Taris where Jedi masters slaughtered their padawans due to a vision they saw which they interpreted as one of them going to the dark side. They weren't sure which one, so they decided the ends justified the means and slaughtered them all except for one survivor who escaped. While we probably wouldn't see something this dark in MLP ever it would still be possible for us to see the concept of "the ends justifying the means" play out in some form, seeing someone commit evil acts in the name of "justice" would be a rather interesting sight in MLP. 

Again going back to Star Wars this time drawing from both the movies and expanded universe Mace Windu was a practitioner of the 7th major form of lightsaber combat called Juyo which he adapted into a variation called Vaapad which addresses the forms major weaknesses. Its origin is largely unknown but is speculated to have been created by Sith, it draws heavily upon the users inner rage and love of battle and thus was rarely used by Jedi for fear that it would turn them to the dark side yet Mace Windu was able to utilize it effectively without succumbing to it. In the Fiendship is Magic King Sombra issue we can clearly see that King Sombra though he succumbed to evil didn't start that way, we also know that his species which are revealed as "shadow ponies" seem to be steeped in dark magic. But what I King Sombra never succumbed to this or there are other members of his species who didn't? Though he was a background character we do have that one changeling in the Slice of Life episode who attended Cranky Doodle Donkey and Matilda's wedding.

I agree that Light Magic is very similar to the Force in Star Wars, as Light Magic is the inner magic and good will of ponies and other creatures. However, feelings of jealousy, fear, and hatred can twist this magic into another form: Dark Magic. Dark Magic is a form of magic that sacrifices rational thinking and harmony for power, by feeding off of negative energy. Still, Dark Magic is always created by Light Magic. Some villains in MLP, such as Sunset Shimmer and Starlight Glimmer, we're once further on the Light Side, but gradually shifted to the Dark Side. However, these characters stay light deep down, so they are easily reformed. Other species, such as Changelings, evolved over a long time to be filled with Dark Magic, so they aren't as easily swayed. In the case of Luna, her negative emotions became so strong, they formed a seperate identity: Nightmare Moon. Both Light and Dark Magic can be described as being captivating and even addicting, as too much of one can leave you not wanting to go back. Still, when done cautiously and responsibly, a balance between these extremes can be used to increase power when needed.

Edited by 20% Cooler Than Cake

I see many people saying things that it depends on your emotions, but I'm not sure the magic in Equestria is anything like the force. Anytime we see any background on how spells and learned and used it seems more of a procedure other than emotions.

Then again I could be wrong, especially if I forgot some key moment proving your theories right.

I agree that Light Magic is very similar to the Force in Star Wars, as Light Magic is the inner magic and good will of ponies and other.[/size]

This statment is misleading about the nature of the Force, because the Force has nothing at all to do with gpod attributes. The Dark Side is also just as much of the Force asthe Jedi form of using the Force, one is just fed by emotions, and the Jedi are to have NO emotions, not even happiness or love.

I actually do believe that George Lucas himself stated that niether the Jedi or the Dark side were inheriantly good or evil, and he was sorry he made the Darl Side look as pure evil. The Dark Side is the force used and enhanced by emotion, whilst the Jedi use the force with a more objective emotional state.

The Crystal Empire episodes showed us the power of dark magic, which could be really scary.

Yeah, banishing a whole empire was rather crazy, which is why I consider Sombra the most powerful form of dark magic we have seen yet.

My theory here is a bit different from the others': I believe that dark magic is actually just Alicorn magic, used by a non-Alicorn.

The evidence for this is that when Twilight uses Alicorn magic, the glow effect on her horn is the same as when she uses dark magic.

So I believe that through dark magic, any unicorn can cast spells as powerful as an Alicorns'. However, this also has a corrupting/addictive effect on their mind, and if used in excess may lead to them becoming evil (So it is a bit like the Force in this regard). Only an Alicorn has the strength of mind and soul to resist the corruption, allowing them to freely use these spells.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, banishing a whole empire was rather crazy, which is why I consider Sombra the most powerful form of dark magic we have seen yet.

That's right.

My theory here is a bit different from the others': I believe that dark magic is actually just Alicorn magic, used by a non-Alicorn.

Just like Trixie's Alicorn amulet. It obviously contained dark magic.

Edited by Limeblossom