Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Queen Chrysalis: Truly evil or just misunderstood?

Inkfeather

If Chrysalis was to find love of her own, I personally think she would have no further reason to act as she did in this episode and she would retreat to being a more tolerable pony/changeling.

Interesting theory although I don't fully agree. In this aspect Chrysalis' mentallity is similar to that of a cannibalistic serial killer's. I think she may be jaded to a point where she is literally incapable of natural love. Like the cannibal, her hunger for love and effection may have become a literal hunger and since she is incapable of natural love this primitive form of obtaining it serves as a substitute.

I think if she were shown love it would be a cast of pearls before swine. She would only be able to receive it the one way she knows how.

Interesting theory although I don't fully agree. In this aspect Chrysalis' mentallity is similar to that of a cannibalistic serial killer's. I think she may be jaded to a point where she is literally incapable of natural love. Like the cannibal, her hunger for love and effection may have become a literal hunger and since she is incapable of natural love this primitive form of obtaining it serves as a substitute.

I think if she were shown love it would be a cast of pearls before swine. She would only be able to receive it the one way she knows how.

Well, she didn't show any wish to actually harm anyone in the series, yes she seemed to enjoy the evil nature of her actions, but she never stated that she wanted to hurt or kill anyone. She had Celestia overmanned yet she chose to restrain her instead of doing anything worse. I believe she didn't want to hurt people physically because that wasn't part of what she sought.

Well, she didn't show any wish to actually harm anyone in the series, yes she seemed to enjoy the evil nature of her actions, but she never stated that she wanted to hurt or kill anyone. She had Celestia overmanned yet she chose to restrain her instead of doing anything worse. I believe she didn't want to hurt people physically because that wasn't part of what she sought.

She might not have wanted to kill anypony because she needed their energy. It would be self-defeating to do otherwise.

The fact that the Changelings barreled through Canterlot and began to lay waste to the city indicates that destruction, at the very least, did not bother her. Given Chrysalis's observations in the reprise of "This Day Aria", wrecking Canterlot was part of the plan.

• Brohoof 1

My opinion is that she's evil, take it or leave it *shrug* I won't debate that because that's all been discussed now at this point, and reading the past page I agree with what's being said.

I will say though, she has more of an evil feel to her than Discord or Night Mare Moon do. As Evilshy explained so very well in another topic, I'm not evil, I'm chaotic neutral, as I never harmed a single pony, I just troll and toy with them non-personally because it's what I enjoy as the god of chaos. Night Mare Moon was driven by jealousy, and just became fixated on that aspect, which probably only increased when she was moon banned for a thousand years. This leaves Chrysalis, who is a by the book parasite/vampire of emotions. She took a lot of pleasure in doing everything she was doing, and openly gloated about how she wanted to take over Equestria, etc etc. So that's why it makes me think she's the true villain of the three we've seen thus far.

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...

I just thought of this 2 minutes ago. But after really looking into her motivations. She just wants to feed her subjects. Like a mother caring for her children. You really can't blame the changelings. Feeding off love is how they receive nourishment. Chrysalis doesn't really want to RULE Equestria. She only wants to feed her children. If someone objects please explain why she's evil. When I see her, I see a desperate soul 

• Brohoof 5

'Imma sing a song about how much I'm enjoying taking over this city, ruining the lives of countless innocents, and destroying a marriage so I can steal the husband and feed my young. I clearly enjoy everything that I'm doing, but, you know...I'm not evil, I'm just feeding my kids :3'

Yeahno. Chrysalis is a heartless bitch. She enjoyed every part of taking over Canterlot, clearly seeks domination over all of Equestria, and has no consideration for others. She feeds her kids to survive and because she wants her species to rule, hell, she -might- have some weird, obscure motherly love for them too, but the bottom line is she's conquesting because she wants to rule, and has no issue with-no-enjoys stepping on every other species along the way :3

She's a classic villain.

• Brohoof 39

(edited)

For an encore you'll go on to prove that black is white, and get yourself killed at the next zebra crossing.

She only wants to feed her children. If someone objects please explain why she's evil.

She could have just asked instead of taking.

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 2

By... making people miserable. Is it ok for me to steal from you because I'm hungry and you have an apple? No. It's not ok to steal, especially on a kid's show. Worse though is it's obvious that Chrysalis made the ponies afraid and miserable. There is no excuse for enslaving a whole race, even if it is to feed your own. That is like saying, I'm hungry so I will take your apple, even if that means you will be hungry and miserable. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. You aren't allowed to be a bully, even if it's the sake of others who need help.

• Brohoof 2

One can be a villain, yet still be sympathetic (and Chrysalis isn't that sympathetic, either, considering how gleefully she tries to "feed" her children). If she were a guy, she'd be twirling her mustache of villainy while watching Canterlot burn. Can't get more villain than that! 

• Brohoof 6

Ok, think of it this way people saying that is was evil of her for making ponies miserable. Ponies are to Queen Chrysalis as Aliens are to humans. Wouldn't you want to take care of your species before caring about another species.

• Brohoof 3

The utter delight she took in ruining the lives of a peaceful people who (so far as we know) did nothing to her removes a lot of the sympathy I have for her. Like hunting. If one needs to eat a rabbit to survive, then I can understand killing one. But no need to torture it first, or to take such pleasure in its pain.

• Brohoof 2

One can be a villain, yet still be sympathetic (and Chrysalis isn't that sympathetic, either, considering how gleefully she tries to "feed" her children). If she were a guy, she'd be twirling her mustache of villainy while watching Canterlot burn. Can't get more villain than that! 

Yeah, Nightmare Moon is the more sympathetic villain of our big four. Chrysalis though, she may have a basic nourishment need for her throng of parasites, but that by no means makes her a non-villain, nor does it make her very sympathetic. The very farthest I would go, would be that the Changelings themselves may not be so bad, as they're under her tyrannical control all the time, but Chrysalis is clearly an evil witch, through and through.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

'Imma sing a song about how much I'm enjoying taking over this city, ruining the lives of countless innocents, and destroying a marriage so I can steal the husband and feed my young. I clearly enjoy everything that I'm doing, but, you know...I'm not evil, I'm just feeding my kids :3'

Yeahno. Chrysalis is a heartless bitch. She enjoyed every part of taking over Canterlot, clearly seeks domination over all of Equestria, and has no consideration for others. She feeds her kids to survive and because she wants her species to rule, hell, she -might- have some weird, obscure motherly love for them too, but the bottom line is she's conquesting because she wants to rule, and has no issue with-no-enjoys stepping on every other species along the way :3

She's a classic villain.

Basically covered everything that was wrong with the OP's argument.  Just because a villain may have a logical purpose behind their actions doesn't make those actions right, or the villain not, well, villainous.  Let's offer a real-world equivalent; did Hitler certainly want to "improve" the German nation by establishing an Aryan Empire?  Yeah, and by any measure that's a logical goal, but he wanted to do so by conquering, displacing, imprisoning, or killing tens of millions of people.  Ergo, he was EVIL!!!

So yeah, as you pointed out CD, just because Chrysalis was looking out for her "children" doesn't mean that that makes the suffering she was bringing and intended to inflict upon the rest of Equestria right.  That, and she's a stone-cold b*tch who loves every minute of what she does. mellow.png

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

I just thought of this 2 minutes ago. But after really looking into her motivations. She just wants to feed her subjects. Like a mother caring for her children. You really can't blame the changelings. Feeding off love is how they receive nourishment. Chrysalis doesn't really want to RULE Equestria. She only wants to feed her children. If someone objects please explain why she's evil. When I see her, I see a desperate soul 

She's a classic villain.

There's also absolutely NO evidence that they are her children. I'm sorry, but this really gets to me. At one point are they are directly refered to by Chrysalis as her children? They're just referred to as her "subjects" and nothing else. I mean, if they were her children, wouldn't she have referred to them as such in the show or darker comic? I just don't get this.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

If she only wanted to feed her subjects I'm sure some sort of symbiotic relationship could have been reached. Because she decided to take a covert and underhanded method, complete with abducting royalty and seduction of a good man that kinda' makes her evil.

Diplomacy was ignored is what I'm saying, and before anyone says "how do we know that they haven't tried diplomacy and had it fail?" The answer is self apparent. The fact that the royal guard know a threat is coming but not from who tells you it was never attempted. Also if it take the comics as canon, which I do, Chrysalis actually states she wants rule of Equestria and treats her subjects with less than disdain.

Edited by Fridge
  • Brohoof 1

No, Chrysalis (while awesome in every way) is a heartless villian.  She didn't have any regrets or guilt taking over Canterlot.  

Somebody hasn't read the comics yet. Chrysalis is truly twisted. Maybe even a bit moreso after brooding a bit post defeating canterlot.

Then again are the comics even being counted as canon story. Not sure why they wouldn't besides that they are def not for the same age audience as the series....

For an encore you'll go on to prove that black is white, and get yourself killed at the next zebra crossing.

Excuse me Ms. Celestia I was just wondering maybe if it's not too much of a bother if I could you know maybe take 50 thousand of your subjects and stick them in little green pods until I'm done harvesting their emotions? I would be ur bestest fwend :D

The fact that the royal guard know a threat is coming but not from who tells you it was never attempted.
How does that in any way, shape, or form say that diplomacy was never attempted? Are you implying that if Chrysalis had at one point sent an ambassador or appeared herself she would have then stated exactly where and when she would be attacking, or even that she was going to attack at all? 

Excuse me Ms. Celestia I was just wondering maybe if it's not too much of a bother if I could you know maybe take 50 thousand of your subjects and stick them in little green pods until I'm done harvesting their emotions? I would be ur bestest fwend :D How does that in any way, shape, or form say that diplomacy was never attempted? Are you implying that if Chrysalis had at one point sent an ambassador or appeared herself she would have then stated exactly where and when she would be attacking, or even that she was going to attack at all?

No, what I'm implying is that if they had attempted diplomacy and that had failed then it would be a reasonable assumption to make that the suspected attack would be coming from them.

Besides the song she sings about how she loves it when she's nasty, she...well, look it her! The way she glides around, villainously informing the heroes that wedding reception has been canceled. If she was just feeding her subjects, then she wouldn't act so delightfully evil.

And like GrimCW said, the comics prove that she's kind of a bitch (and yes, they are canon). Besides all the kitten murder and kidnapping of children, she had the chance to just take her subjects and avoid the ponies altogether, but she staged another invasion just to get revenge and Twilight and to use her magic to take over the world.

Until proven otherwise, my head canon is that Chrysalis's inability to love extends to her minions, who she just sees as her personal army. Push comes to shove, she could give less than two shits about them.

• Brohoof 1

I doubt it. If she wasn't really a villain she would've been more remorseful or regretful about what she was doing. If it were because she would have to take care of her subjects she would've taken a much more peaceful approach or something like that.

I have seen the episode and after watching someone review it i learned Chrysalis is not the smartest changling.She basically let's them win.After using the power of Shinig Armor's love to defeat Celestia,Cadance and Shining Armor do the same thing.Chrysalis starts out by saying they're are basically stupid for trying the same thing and then just stands there and let's them proceed with blasting her out of Canterlot with the power of love.She's evil and kinda dumb.

(edited)

What would be interesting is to see if a changeling could survive in ponyville incognito (and as a pony) by doing good things. If they feed off love why create conflict? It's taking the place of existing characters that's the evil thing.

Is it wrong for Chrysalis to want her species to survive and for them to become dominant? Actually no, that's the way nature works. Is it evil to ponies? Yes. To Changelings? No. Survival of the fittest!

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

It depends on how you look at it.

I mean yes Crysalsis is a Villan and acts like it as seen in both the show and the comics (I count it as head cannon in my own ways).

But

Look at it from a nature standpoint. This is how they feed. It's probably how that species has survived for many years (if they existed before Luna's banishment then for thousands of years). It's just the way it is. They don't know better because it's the way it's always been. Like if a Lion eats a Zebra or a Gazelle, is it evil? Well it's only eating and it's using methods it as a species has always used.

But changelings and Crysalis are sentient beings.

Well it depends on what standpoint you are looking at to see if she is evil or not. Maybe harmless methods didn't work and she needed more harsh and brash methods to feed her people. Eventually she behaive like this for a while an accepted it as who she is.

Now as to can they change?

Maybe, but it's going to be really hard. Changing one persons views and ways is hard enough, changing a whole nation is even harder. Even If Crysailis is the one to be changed there are going to be subjects that won't agree and retaliate (the comics kinda show they arn't a hive like mind).

So is she evil?

Yes

Is it on purpose?

Maybe, but there is doubt