Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Queen Chrysalis: Truly evil or just misunderstood?

Inkfeather

@@Shadow Raikou,

Nope, Chrysalis's wording is very important. She says that her Changelings will gain more power than they have ever dreamed of. This doesn't sound like an attempt to feed, it sounds like a gamble for power. They only lived in the Outlands after they were sent flying, before that, we don't know where they lived.

@,

Again, the way Chrysalis phrases her sentence makes it sound more like they drain love just for the power boost 

Well, her hive was starving. They needed to eat something. Comic Chryssie gets more evil due to finally being able to get food and getting more power and getting obsessed with more power / expanding their empire.

@Shadow Raikou and @Mist

First of all, none of that any excuse for:

*Imprisioning Cadance so she would starve to death

*Sucking the energy out of Shining so he would turn into a mindless vegetable

*Imprisoning Twilight in caves and taunting her that she would never escape (And possibly trying to get her mad to kill the real Cadance)

*Singing is delight about everypony being in her control while the changelings attack Canterlot.

Seriously, in the This Day Aria Reprise, she says:

"This day has been just perfect 

The kind of day of which I've dreamed since I was small

Everypony I'll soon control

Every stallion, mare and foal

Who says a girl can't really have it all?"

This doesn't sound like she's doing it just because she and her subjects are hungry.  Canon doesn't even say they NEED to feed off love to survive.  This sounds like she's only concerned about obtaining power.  

Edited by Empress Pinkamena
  • Brohoof 1

Nope

She's totally evil. If they weren't then she wouldn't resort to such drastic measures to invade a kingdom that's ruled by two Alicorns. Sure there's a "hive mind" but I don't really think that's helps Chrysalis case at all. If she wanted to feed her subjects she would try it stealthily as I presume she's had been before the Canterlot Wedding events.

I think the only reason why she was found out was because she assumed a disguise for too long for someone to get suspicious when she would normally get a disguise and get her love food and get out right afterwards.

@,

How do we know that their hive was starving? There is no basis for this headcanon....at all. Chrysalis never mentions anything similar to that.

Chrysalis's stated goal was to gain more power, not feed 

• Brohoof 2

@@Shadow Raikou,

Nope, Chrysalis's wording is very important. She says that her Changelings will gain more power than they have ever dreamed of. This doesn't sound like an attempt to feed, it sounds like a gamble for power. They only lived in the Outlands after they were sent flying, before that, we don't know where they lived.

@,

Again, the way Chrysalis phrases her sentence makes it sound more like they drain love just for the power boost 

Well I think it's more of the fault of the writers. However in the comics she specifically does state "we eat love." Not that they get stronger from it, but they eat it. It could just be a bonus. I think that it's a matter of there is more to it, but Hasbro was too lazy to give us more information. It's quite possible that things are not as they seem, just not enough information is available to determine either way.

I think comic Chrysalis is better than the show counterpart. Comic Chrysalis was simply more ruthless and had a better plan. She was going to make Twilight Sparkle her puppet. She also has the ability to drain magic, but it's implied the target needs to be broken and it just can't happen on the spot. She was going to drain Twilight of her love and make her a husk magical battery. 

I believe she is capable of doing that. I believe Twilight simply has more raw power than Chrysalis. But Chrysalis has the advantage of being older, craftier and more durable in terms of body weight. She also can get stronger with feeding. Twilight has show progression. But it's like Buu from DBZ. Chrysalis's base power can change, because of her food sources.

@@TheMarkz0ne,

Ummm, Buu kept his power and fused with his victims, you're thinking of Android 19 and 20, they were the energy suckers. Cell was one to an extent as well 

My DBZ lore is rusty. But Buu could only keep his power if he retained his victims. Chrysalis I'm pretty sure has to recharge every now and then. Just like how food becomes part of us when we eat. That energy will fade. I think that's why enslaving the ponies was so crucial.

• Brohoof 1

@@TheMarkz0ne

That's mostly true, Buu fused with his victims, keeping their power permanently. Exception, one of his victims was one borrowed time and lost power within him, causing him to lose power as well. He also lost power after getting the victims ripped out by force.

Android 19, 20, Cell, and Super 17, they just absorbed energy from others and needed to recharge once they spent it all

@Shadow Raikou and @Mist

First of all, none of that any excuse for:

*Imprisioning Cadance so she would starve to death

*Sucking the energy out of Shining so he would turn into a mindless vegetable

*Imprisoning Twilight in caves and taunting her that she would never escape (And possibly trying to get her mad to kill the real Cadance)

*Singing is delight about everypony being in her control while the changelings attack Canterlot.

Seriously, in the This Day Aria Reprise, she says:

"This day has been just perfect 

The kind of day of which I've dreamed since I was small

Everypony I'll soon control

Every stallion, mare and foal

Who says a girl can't really have it all?"

This doesn't sound like she's doing it just because she and her subjects are hungry.  Canon doesn't even say they NEED to feed off love to survive.  This sounds like she's only concerned about obtaining power.  

I did mention the fact she was indeed evil, didn't I? :)

To leech off love for whatever reason, food or power, she need to get royal powers and take care of royal alicorns so they wouldn't get in the way. Cadence was a good pony to copy because she can generate love with her powers. Since the wedding was coming up, Shining Armor would've interfered with the plan and recognized the fact that she wasn't Cadence, so... Vegetable.

Edited by Shadow Raikou

Why do so many people claim that Chrysalis was not evil? They say that she just wanted to feed her subjects. If that's the case, why did she leave ponies to die in horrible ways(starvation), kill kittens for no good reason and taunt Twilight in the caves?

Also, where does this excuse that the Changelings are underfed comes from? There is no evidence for this at all, Chrysalis just said that Equestria had lots of love, not that they needed it

Hey there Evil Dragon Master, just letting you know that I merged the topic you made about Queen Chrysalis being evil or not with one that already existed. Try and make use of the search function before creating a topic next time please, to see if it exists yet or not. Thanks for your understanding. :)

• 1 month later...

Excuse me. Sorry for bumping this old thread but. I have another Theory. Does anyone remember Natla in Tomb Raider? She Revolted against her own kind and was Imprisoned in an eternal unrest. And she wants to turn every human into atlanteans. ''Evolution's in a rut, natural selection at an all time low. Shipping out fresh meat will incite territorial rages again. Will strengthen, and advance us. Even create new breeds.'' The entire point of Chrysalis is to not just take over Equestria. But to start wars and make her race superior. Natla is a mix between Nightmare Moon and Chrysalis and i think my point is probably a good one. Hence she[Chrysalis] is evil.

Edited by giygasdiscord81
  • Brohoof 1

It's difficult for me to fully pinpoint my opinion if Chrysalis really is truly evil and bad to the bone or just a simple misunderstood pony who's more than what she seems to be from her ambitions and appearance.

She did attack and infiltrated Canterlot with the intent on gathering love for her own subjects but we don't know the exact reason behind the operation and what they caused them to start the invasion. There are a ton of things that we won't know about the changelings right now so I'm indifferent on labeling her as evil or misunderstood until I see another episode with her and the changelings returning and explaining why she did what she did back then.

Kinda reminds me of a little debate over if Queen Beryl was evil or not.

Yes, yes she is. No matter how you look at it, or even her intentions (Same went for Beryl), in the end, she was trying to kill and/or obliterate everyone. Not to mention use Shining Armor as a battery to rule everyone with an iron fist.

Look at Dhaos from Tales of Phantasia. His entire purpose was to obtain a mana seed, so he could save his home world from destruction. The thing is, during the course of the game, he destroyed a few towns and an entire kingdom, and send an invasion army of demons into another. No matter the reason, the method can still make the character evil, especially when they don't give a crap about who or what they destroy.

• Brohoof 1

She is a Political casuality.

I can compare Chrysy to Zira from LK2. While Zira's mate was killed before her eyes, she was then kicked out of her home, with 3 tiny cubs and forced to live in a wasteland with almost no chance of survival. Chrysy and Zira share alot in common. Both are Mothers (in a fashion) and think of there clutch or den first. Zira only seeks revenge for her mates killer (who only did so to avenge his own fathers death, but in doing so basicly became what he hate by sending a mother and her young to DIE) while also protecting and giving home and food too her young. Chrysalis is almost the same.

In short, she is a casuality of a younger time in Celestia's rule, a time plagued by "youth" and ego. A time with her own flesh being a concern and worry.

Chrysalis only really wishs to feed her young, and like Zira will do anything to win a home for them that isnt a half starved waste land.

I very much enjoy Chrysy...then again Fluffle puff sort of turned her into a dwaaaaaa type character for me. GOOGLE ASK FLUFFLE PUFF!! ^.^

@@applejock,

Wow, this reeks of headcanon. So, where is the evidence for Celestia kicking Chrysalis out?

There's also no evidence Chrysalis was starving. She never said they were hungry, just that they wanted more power.

Your comparison with Zira falls flat when you realize Zira was willing to kill her own off-spring, commit suicide, and act insanely over revenge. It doesn't help she's going after the wrong people, the hyenas killed Scar, not Simba 

• Brohoof 2

Her species is parasitic in nature, they can't survive unless they have a host to feed off. From what we saw the feeding has a detrimental effect, however it could be that being the queen and as powerful as she was, Chrysalis may require more food than a normal changeling. Also we know it was having ill effects but we don't know if it would have killed him. We can't blame the changelings for how they eat, that's not evil it's survival.

However, the way Queen Chrysalis went about trying to feed her changeling army was very evil. As far as we could tell she planned to enslave an entire civilization to satisfy their hunger. They didn't even try to invade by force but instead used subterfuge to sneak in and eliminate Equestria's strongest defenses so they could prey upon and terrorize the weak. That's pretty evil.

I mean their kind could slowly integrate and hide blending into pony society to take it down in a peaceful slow way; this still is evil but it's like suffocating someone in their sleep compared to suddenly stabbing a stranger on the sidewalk and then screaming in their face as you stab them over and over. I'd much rather go the first way and not know what happened, compared to the other way where I know what happened but not why or how.

If Chrysalis wasn't evil, she could have approached Celestia and worked to find away the very loving and kind equestrian ponies might share their love and save the changelings. So no, her nature doesn't redeem her or excuse her actions; she was evil pure and simple.

• Brohoof 2

@@Torrent505,

Even worse, it's not clear if changelings need love to survive. Cadence said

"They gain power by feeding off love"

The way it is phrased along with the fact that the Changelings were hunting down ponies in the streets, makes it seem more likely that they didn't even need to eat love, just that they wanted to get more powerful

• Brohoof 1

@@Torrent505,

Even worse, it's not clear if changelings need love to survive. Cadence said

The way it is phrased along with the fact that the Changelings were hunting down ponies in the streets, makes it seem more likely that they didn't even need to eat love, just that they wanted to get more powerful

Well if that's true it makes them much, much more evil. But I guess I feel like they need at least some love to survive, I doubt they needed as much as they were trying to take in conquering Equestria but yeah if Chrysalis was good at all I'm sure she could have created some sort of terms with the princesses. Celestia gave Discord a chance, I doubt she would have turned away the changelings if they even pretended to be starving and in desperate need.

• Brohoof 1

Well if that's true it makes them much, much more evil. But I guess I feel like they need at least some love to survive, I doubt they needed as much as they were trying to take in conquering Equestria but yeah if Chrysalis was good at all I'm sure she could have created some sort of terms with the princesses. Celestia gave Discord a chance, I doubt she would have turned away the changelings if they even pretended to be starving and in desperate need.

But the difference is, Discord was more goofing off, then being evil. HE is like Q after all. Chrysalis was going to take lives, and even had a hostage in a way.

• Brohoof 1