Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Is Twilight Sparkle slowly being relegated?

SaburoDaimando

Well not "relegated" but her character has come full circle, from student to teacher. We may see her learn more AS a teacher, as we got a sort of hint at at the end of the episode but her new role is, by nature, a more passive one.

if the movie was in early 2017 I might agree but Iv heard it's late, so I suspect there will be a season 7 before it.

Guardians of harmony is slated for some sort of animated thing according to the trademark: They could use a GOH movie as "filler" between Season 6 and the 2017 movie.

I really don't think Twilight is in any danger of being relegated to being a supporting character. Aside from the fact that there is always more to learn even for her, she's also only as competent as the plot needs her to be in any given episode. She still has a neurotic and protocol-worshiping side to her which can be used to tone down her effectiveness in any episodes she's actually in. For instance in 'What About Discord?' the plot of the episode would've been resolved in three seconds if Twilight hadn't gone insane in trying to recreate the fun the others had when she wasn't around. She should've known better, but the plot demanded she didn't.

Given these things, I highly doubt they'll turn her into a side character anytime soon.

Weren't people complaining about Twilight hogging the spotlight in season 4?

It's way too early in the season to determine that. The only reason you think that is because aside from the Return of Harmony and The Cutie Map, Twilight had a major role in the 2 parters. It's pretty refreshing to see the spotlight not on her for once.

And what could Twilight possible do that's important in Gift of the Maud Pie?

• Brohoof 1

I don't think she is being pushed to the background. I think she will become more of a mentor to starlight but still have some episodes centering on her and her problems. 

I swear, people flip flop with Twilight more than Big Show's Face/Heel turns

"OH MY GAWD TWILIGHT GETS TOO MUCH SCREEN TIME!"

"OH MY GAWD TWILIGHT'S NOT AROUND ENOUGH!"

"OH MY GAWD THERE'S TOO MUCH TWILIGHT FOCUS!"

"OH MY GAWD THEY'RE REPLACING HER!"

All of this usually because of premieres/finales

Seriously this fandom needs to make up its mind

• Brohoof 2

Weren't people complaining about Twilight hogging the spotlight in season 4?

Which is hilarious because S4 is the ONLY season where you actually kind of CAN argue Twilight was a bit relegated to the background. She didn't really have a single episode between the Opener and Finale, the closest was kind of sort of Co-starring in Testing Testing. 

• Brohoof 2

hmm, never thought about it much. XD i supose it is kind of like that. personally, as someone who never really liked twilight, im not too disapointed. :P  i hope they dont have THAT much of starlight, idk, i just dont like her much.

Not really, she still has a lot to learn to be a efficient teacher for Starlight, she said it herself, and episode 7's synopsis shows that, even if she will be a Wonderbolt, RD will find new challenges. Plus, Rarity's fashion bussiness is slowly but steadily growing, and it can be assumed that the characters will now discover new lessons as they take part on their roles.

Im taking this with very little grain of salt .My friend told me there is rumor that Tara Strong is going to leave this show because Twilight Sparkle is going to stagnate. If and If I believe this rumor the reasoning is logical since Twilight is slowly becoming the new Celestia and Starlight becoming the new Twilight Sparkle. I wont believe anything until I see it.

To answer question it seems so and Twilight becoming the new Celestia wouldnt surprise me. Meaning her slowly disappearing into the background and becoming more and more useless as time goes; if it does if season 6 isnt the last season. 

So they're 'Optimus-Priming" Twilight essentially? Optimus died and was used less and less... But Twilight won't die, so they're going to obscure her? I don't want Starlight to be the new lead pony.

• Brohoof 1

Dear god, I hope not. She is one of the best characters in the show.

Nah, I actually mean Season 7. From what I've heard, I think its the last season that is going to be released. rip.

What the hell? This fandom seems more notable than shows like Spongebob, yet that one has countless seasons, yet our show would only get seven?

What the hell? This fandom seems more notable than shows like Spongebob, yet that one has countless seasons, yet our show would only get seven?

Sponge bob is a show built on negative continuity and just finding a humorous plotline for an episode.

FIM is built on character growth and development; Its MASSIVELY easier to create a new spongebob episode because he's a static character in an unchanging world.

Also, "more noteable" seems a bit off. Bronies as a whole are still pretty much 99% unknown in the public eye. Its not like trekkies or even Transformers fans, Bronies are more or less an unknown quantity to people outside the internet, and pretty bewildering to most people.

Plus, Keep in mind that just because we're "Noteable" doesn't mean we're "Profitable". The Spongebob fandom of little kids is INCREDIBLY marketable and sells like crazy. Its ingrained in the public mind as an easy "go to" thing for little kids in toys and shirts and other things to get your niece or grandkids. So its got a very healthy financial base under it.

AND due to being on Nick instead of Discovery family, its got GREAT ratings compared to FIM's terrible ratings.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

Spongebob, despite being made a decade earlier, is still on season 9.

So each season has many, many episodes?

Well if you count each segment as an episode, yes it has more episodes (but not double the amount of a FiM season), but when you compile them into half hours and call that an episode, the longest seasons are only 26 episodes long, like FiM.

Edited by Marimo

I kind of like how the writers are shifting focus to the other cast, 

I like Twily as a character but the other cast has much more unexplored potential. 

• Brohoof 1

I kind of like how the writers are shifting focus to the other cast, 

I like Twily as a character but the other cast has much more unexplored potential. 

Given how pretty much every finale after season 1 has revolved around her in one way or another, that's not surprising :P

True, we're seeing less of Twilight now, seeing as she's reached her original 'endgame' which ended up being her transformation into a princess. The CMC have their marks, and Rainbow's about to get Wonderbolt status. It looks like mission complete, right?

Take a look at what Writer's Digest Editors claim in "Creating Characters: The Complete Guide to Populating Your Fiction"

A character needs to have four things: 

1. external motivation (what they want to achieve)

2. internal motivation (why they want to achieve it)

3. external conflict (what's stopping them from getting it)

4. and internal conflict (what they're willing to do to get it)

If Twilight's story, or anypony's story is going to see a "Chapter 2," she'll need a new goal, a reason for getting that goal, a visible threat, and a conflict of identity.

She, the CMC, Rainbow Dash, and anypony else reaching the end of their "Chapter 1" could very well see the start of a whole new adventure, and as long as its an interesting adventure, people will want to watch it unfold.

• Brohoof 1

THis is something I noticed with the Season 6 premier and with today's episode: Twilight isn't used as much as she was use to in the last 5 seasons.  Lemme bring up some examples

Season 1: Twilight guides her friends to help defeat Nightmare Moon.  One episode later, she struggles with her friends and the Grand Gallopin Gala tickets.

Season 2: Twilight struggles with her friends to defeat Discord.  One episode later, she struggles with herself over a late lesson to the Princess

Season 3: Twilight and her friends help protect the Crystal Empire from King Sombra.  One episode later, she is involved in trying to stop the number of Pinkie Pies

Season 4: Twilight and her friends sacrifice the Elements of Harmony to save the Tree, thus beginning her quest to acquire the 6 keys of Harmony.  One episode later, they discover a journal to document their quest at the Castle of the Twin Sisters.

Season 5: Twilight and her friends struggle against Starlight Glimmer's town of equality.  One episode later, Twilight's friends do what they can to cheer her up.

ANd so it seems Season 6 is beginning to buck that trend.

Season 6: While Twilight does play a role in this story, her role is minor compared to the recently reformed Starlight Glimmer, who takes center stage as the protagonist of the story.  One episode later, Pinkie Pie and Rarity are in Manehattan with Maud over gifts.

Furthermore, we know that the Cutie Mark Crusaders will have center stage on the next episode, and then Spike is up.  Which makes me wonder: Will we be seeing less of Twilight Sparkle this season?  Will she be relegated to supporting character alongside Celestia, Luna, Cadance, Shining Armor and even Discord?  What's your thoughts on this?

Starlight really wasn't the protagonist, we just saw what happened with her because we needed to so we could understand some of the things that happened. We've seen ponies go off on there own with little to no involvement with Twilight. The CMC have had their own episodes before and so has Spike. I don't think Twilight's being shunted aside, more that they decided to make more of these episodes that don't feature her as the main protagonist. 

SpongeBob has no continuity, and the Status Quo is God. Nothing ever changes, characters never grow, and the show has no overarching plot. You can't have a really long show AND a worthwhile plot. if a show has a meaningful overarching story, then it can't go on forever. If you try to make it go on forever, characters will get flanderized, or become Mary Sues, you run out of ideas for big storylines, and overall seasonal rot sets in.

The reason is that a show with a meaningful story must reach a meaningful resolution. If we watch something with a storyline, then we want a resolution. Keeping it going on without end, trying to delay and delay the resolution of the main plot can only go badly. SpongeBob, Family Guy, and the Simpsons can go on forever because their plots are contained with a given episode, and there is no real need for growth and development of the characters. Dr. Who and Star Trek go on forever because they constantly have full  refreshes of the cast. They don't add a character or two- they completely finish off a character(s) and then start with new ones.

Those are the two ways to keep a show going. Have no continuity and no growth and no development OR completely replace the main cast every few years, starting a new story. Trying to keep a story going with the same characters forever just won't work.

SpongeBob has no continuity, and the Status Quo is God. Nothing ever changes, characters never grow, and the show has no overarching plot. You can't have a really long show AND a worthwhile plot. if a show has a meaningful overarching story, then it can't go on forever.

While I agree with you on everything you said about why the show can't go on forever like spongebob, I do have to respond to your absolute here that Angel had an incredible plot despite going on for as long as it did. (But angel was also an action series so it didn't need to be specifically about growth as fighting and defeating the new uber demon)

Angel%20LOTD.jpg

Edited by Unlikeable Pony