Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where will the budget for the 2017 movie go towards?

TheMarkz0ne

We have no information on the movie other than a basic plot synopsis and a release date that could be moved back potentially. I am curious to know where this budget is going towards if Legendary Pictures is publishing it. I can only list these logical budget points 

-Marketing (Most likely a good chunk of the budget)

-Paying crew 

-license fees 

The show is made in flash and nothing bad about that at all. But wouldn't it be great to see hand drawn=flash used together for this movie? Give the movie a chance to stand somewhat out from the show and be unique? I just can't imagine where the budget can go. Hasbro is a relevant corporation, those Transformers movies made billions of dollars, I doubt Hasbro is going to spend nickels and pennies on one of their popular IPs

We have no information on the movie other than a basic plot synopsis and a release date that could be moved back potentially. I am curious to know where this budget is going towards if Legendary Pictures is publishing it. I can only list these logical budget points 

-Paying crew 

-license fees 

The show is made in flash and nothing bad about that at all. But wouldn't it be great to see hand drawn=flash used together for this movie? Give the movie a chance to stand somewhat out from the show and be unique? I just can't imagine where the budget can go. Hasbro is a relevant corporation, those Transformers movies made billions of dollars, I doubt Hasbro is going to spend nickels and pennies on one of their popular IPs

Why making it different? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The PPG Movie was also drawn in the same way, just with a higher budget and it worked well. Same can be said about the original Spongebob Movie.

I would like it if the movie has the look of the show, just better.

-Paying crew

-license fees

Oh yeah. Hasbro is putting a crapton of their resources into this. It's so obvious the way they put nothing into Ouijia and Jem.

My guess is a $50-60 million budget going towards much better animation and a big marketing budget.

This movie can make a sh*tload of money if the marketing is right. You all saw Deadpool, a slightly known B-list comic book character, take the world by storm due to its marketing.

Edited by TheAnimatorOfficial

Paying the VA's, and time and effort. They're probably putting in more man hours polishing things up and working on the script and VA rehersals as they put toward an entire season after all.

Plus all the time and effort working on music and recording for this one, since they'll be really wanting to knock it out of the park for the songs.

The PPG Movie was also drawn in the same way, just with a higher budget and it worked well.

but the PPG movie was a commercial flop...

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

Why making it different? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The PPG Movie was also drawn in the same way, just with a higher budget and it worked well. Same can be said about the original Spongebob Movie.

I would like it if the movie has the look of the show, just better.

I agree with you!! Lets focus on the storyline :3

I speak about my enjoyment of the movie, not it's commercial flop. :P

It's a shame it didn't make it, The flop was the reason they cancelled the Samurai Jack movie ;-;

OT:

I hope they use that money to pay for better animation and musical scores.

$50-60

OMG do you know how much money that is? To make a movie in flash?

Crimson Peak one of the most beautiful movies I ever saw cost like 55 million. You have to remember I don't think Hasbro wants to sink a lot of money on this movie, as it probably wont do too well. However it would be worth it for advertisement.

You all saw Deadpool, a slightly known B-list comic book character, take the world by storm due to its marketing.

An R rated MLP movie... I like that idea!!

• Brohoof 1

OMG do you know how much money that is? To make a movie in flash?

Crimson Peak one of the most beautiful movies I ever saw cost like 55 million. You have to remember I don't think Hasbro wants to sink a lot of money on this movie, as it probably wont do too well. However it would be worth it for advertisement.

An R rated MLP movie... I like that idea!!

It's not going to be flash. It's going to be ToonBoom which is much more precise and costly.

• Brohoof 1

It's a shame it didn't make it, The flop was the reason they cancelled the Samurai Jack movie ;-;

OT:

I hope they use that money to pay for better animation and musical scores.

To be honest, I rather disliked the power puff girls movie, so I can't really say I feel bad that it didn't do too well. I normally love PPG episodes, but the movie just felt off. The fact that I generally dislike prequels didn't help :P (plus, Mojo is one of my lesser liked antagonists.)

On that note, there's alot of similarities between FIM and the PPG movies: Specifically, both had a tertiary audience of adult (or at least older/teenage) males who were fans of the show and pledged that they would support the movie, but the PPG's male audience never really showed up to support the movie when it came out.

So its going to be interesting to see if history repeats and if bronies abandon or support FIM's movie when it comes out. (the fact that the brony fandom seems to have been shrinking since S3 doesn't bode well for the movie though, nor does its plateued popularity with its target audience.)

It's not going to be flash. It's going to be ToonBoom which is much more precise and costly.

Where is the source on that?

Honestly making it it flash would be cheaper and thus more of the budget can go towards making the film bigger and more fun when all the money isn't spent on expensive special effects and celebrity voices.

It failed for different reasons though.

Which may finally change. :3 

To be honest, I rather disliked the power puff girls movie, so I can't really say I feel bad that it didn't do too well. I normally love PPG episodes, but the movie just felt off. The fact that I generally dislike prequels didn't help :P (plus, Mojo is one of my lesser liked antagonists.)

On that note, there's alot of similarities between FIM and the PPG movies: Specifically, both had a tertiary audience of adult (or at least older/teenage) males who were fans of the show and pledged that they would support the movie, but the PPG's male audience never really showed up to support the movie when it came out.

So its going to be interesting to see if history repeats and if bronies abandon or support FIM's movie when it comes out. (the fact that the brony fandom seems to have been shrinking since S3 doesn't bode well for the movie though, nor does its plateued popularity with its target audience.)

Ed Edd Eddy Big Picture Show>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PPG Movie.. FACTUAL!

I actually agree with you on that.

If it's going to be good or bad has to be seen. But i think this movie comes out waaaaaaaay too late. The big boom of the fandom has already passed and i think this movie could probably be a bigger success between 2010 and 2013 (maybe even 2014)

I think Hasbro would be quite insane to risk so much money with this movie and to be honest, i won't see this in german theatres, because i hate the german dub, as do most german bronies, so they and probably the other bronies from non english speaking countries won't go in.

Also, i can see a few bronies going to pirate this movie by the second or third day. I saw that alot when the first 2 equestria girls movies came out. It will happen again, trust me.

Again, not going to bash the movie itself. But i think people are a bit delusional, when they think this will get as much money, as Zootopia.

If it's going to be good or bad has to be seen. But i think this movie comes out waaaaaaaay too late. The big boom of the fandom has already passed and i think this movie could probably be a bigger success between 2010 and 2013 (maybe even 2014)

I think Hasbro would be quite insane to risk so much money with this movie and to be honest, i won't see this in german theatres, because i hate the german dub, as do most german bronies, so they and probably the other bronies from non english speaking countries won't go in.

Also, i can see a few bronies going to pirate this movie by the second or third day. I saw that alot when the first 2 equestria girls movies came out. It will happen again, trust me.

Again, not going to bash the movie itself. But i think people are a bit delusional, when they think this will get as much money, as Zootopia.

Spongebob came out in 1999 and the original movie was 2005, so I don't see an issue here. 

ED and Cartoon Brew for example

Can i have a link? That would be very appreciated.

Spongebob came out in 1999 and the original movie was 2005, so I don't see an issue here. 

Spongebob was a hit worldwide though. I barely know anybody in germany, that gives a pete about MLP.

Spongebob was a hit worldwide though. I barely know anybody in germany, that gives a pete about MLP.

Pokemon was once a hit, look at it now, a shadow of its former self trying to be relevant again. 

Okay, apparently you don't know how the movie industry works. Box office does not stay true to pre-assumptions. There are often big surprises because of great marketing and legs from great reviews.

How many of us saw Deadpool grossing $350 million domestically or Frozen grossing $1.2 billion worldwide? How many of us saw BvS failing to reach $900 million worldwide (let alone $1b)? How many of us saw The Good Dinosaur and Tomorrowland being huge bombs?

It doesn't matter the size of the fandom. If the film gets great reviews and Hasbro kicks ass in the marketing department, the film can be a huge success.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/10/dhx-opens-position-for-feature.html?m=1

Also MLP has tons of casual fans who don't identify as "Bronies" worldwide too.

Okay, apparently you don't know how the movie industry works. Box office does not stay true to pre-assumptions. There are often big surprises because of great marketing and legs from great reviews.

How many of us saw Deadpool grossing $350 million domestically or Frozen grossing $1.2 billion worldwide? How many of us saw BvS failing to reach $900 million worldwide (let alone $1b)? How many of us saw The Good Dinosaur and Tomorrowland being huge bombs?

It doesn't matter the size of the fandom. If the film gets great reviews and Hasbro kicks ass in the marketing department, the film can be a huge success.

There is the problem. Hasbro won't risk alot of money for their marketing. They push the money rather to bring out new toys that come with the movie and Hasbro does not have the kind of marketing team, like big movie companies have.

• Brohoof 1

There is the problem. Hasbro won't risk alot of money for their marketing. They push the money rather to bring out new toys that come with the movie and Hasbro does not have the kind of marketing team, like big movie companies have.

*cough Transformers (MLP is up there as one of their two biggest assets).

Also Hasbro has Lionsgate to help, and keep in mind they made a lukewarm recepted book like the Hunger Games into a massive blockbuster.

It makes zero sense to not try to market the film predominantly.

Edited by TheAnimatorOfficial

The problem is that there's a HUGE stigma against MLP as a "little girls" movie that will turn off adults from wanting to be seen seeing it in public. This is a problem that hasbro has been trying to fight lately in MLP's image as they've realized that, while the recognizability of MLP is a boon its also an anchor in many ways, hence their using the guardians of harmony name instead of MLP to try and market toys to its young male audience.

So, even if MLP gets good reviews, there's going to be a VERY uphill battle getting adult males to see it due to shame, while frozen wouldn't have quite the same issue.

They did a ton of marketing for the transformers movies though, didn't they?

I'd personally say Season 4 was the apex of FIM's popularity; that would have been the best moment to have released a movie IMO.

The problem is that there's a HUGE stigma against MLP as a "little girls" movie that will turn off adults from wanting to be seen seeing it in public. This is a problem that hasbro has been trying to fight lately in MLP's image as they've realized that, while the recognizability of MLP is a boon its also an anchor in many ways, hence their using the guardians of harmony name instead of MLP to try and market toys to its young male audience.

So, even if MLP gets good reviews, there's going to be a VERY uphill battle getting adult males to see it due to shame, while frozen wouldn't have quite the same issue.

They did a ton of marketing for the transformers movies though, didn't they?

I'd personally say Season 4 was the apex of FIM's popularity; that would have been the best moment to have released a movie IMO.

Actually Frozen did have the same issue. I remember when the trailers came out so many adults complained, saying it looked like generic kiddie crap and it was just your typical princess movie on ice. And then the reviews came out and the public perception changed.

Really they have to catch the attention of males as early as the teaser trailer and even the posters.