Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

news Harriet Tubman to Be the New Face of the 20 Dollar Bill

Jaxsie (Inactive)

Let's see...

Andrew Jackson: sent thousands of people on a death march

Harriet Tubman: saved hundreds from slavery at great peril and risk to her own life, being the most successful Underground Railroad conductor and most wanted abolitionist at the same time. 

Gee? Who embodies the American spirit more? 

• Brohoof 8

None of you people making a stink about Jackson losing his place on the twenty could possibly be serious.  No one actually gives that much of a shit about Andrew Jackson.  There are better things to pretend to be passionate about; like postage stamps and species of caterpillar and practically anything else.

And for anyone crying about how the design sucks...  So does the design on every piece of U.S. paper currency.  It sucks.  It ain't pretty.  There are old dead faces laid to rest on top of the lousiest range of greens they could put together, there's a bunch of crappy writing and detail-work that no one cares about, and it's not something anyone should mistake for being aesthetically pleasing.

The "design" (which we haven't truly seen yet) isn't what matters.  For the most part, I don't especially care whose face appears on money; because the point of money is to give it to someone else.  To pay a bill, buy groceries, make good on a debt...  Not one of its purposes is to be stared at and judged for its aesthetics.  Start putting actual works of art on the things (Picasso, van Gogh, et cetera), and I might begin to care.

I'm fine with Tubman being on the twenty.  She does nothing to hurt the appearance of something that was never meant to be admired in the first place.

• Brohoof 3

Not surprised that there are people saying that this is an example of us being hypersensitive. The irony is, it seems that a decent amount of people who disagree with this decision are making a big deal out of this, which sounds like the epitome of hypersensitivity to me. Anyway, I think it makes more sense than replacing Alexander Hamilton on the 10, since Hamilton was the first Secretary of Treasury, on the other hand...

Andrew Jackson hated paper money anyway,

Which is something I'm surprised not many people know. He preferred gold and silver coins over paper money.

• Brohoof 1

It is just a mock up, the final design won't look like that.

Or maybe we are recognizing American heroes.

Andrew Jackson told the supreme court to piss off which is a violation of how our country's constitutional law system works. It's simply un-American to do that. He forced thousands of people to walk to their death and when they arrived they were treated like second class citizens from the land that they founded. I can assure you that Obama has done nothing even remotely close to this in terms of how horrible it is. What Andrew Jackson did was simply un-American and went against what this country stands for.

Harriet Tubman is a far bigger patriot because Tubman despite being a slave believed in the American system and fled slaves to the north where she fought to end slavery. Tubman never advocated for the death of the white men who enslaved her, she put her faith in America to fix the problem. She was a true American hero that didn't put the blood of others on her hand over politics. She is far more deserving to receive this honor than Andrew Jackson.

Ben Franklin was a scientist.

Except you know... The millions who were brutally murdered in the holy wars in the name of his father by his followers and thousands of years of religious discrimination. If you ignore all of that, sure.

Jesus isn't real. Neither was god.

(Btw, are you bringing up the crusades? Just thought I'd check, and ask if you really, reeeeally want to open that can of worms. It's one of those things where "Common knowledge" is wrong, like swallowing spiders and the gender wage gap.)

I'm cool with this, but could they make it look less like a bad photoshop job?

I wonder how many would flip poop if Jesus was on all the currency. He did the most good of all.

• Brohoof 1

Not surprised that there are people saying that this is an example of us being hypersensitive. The irony is, it seems that a decent amount of people who disagree with this decision are making a big deal out of this, which sounds like the epitome of hypersensitivity to me. Anyway, I think it makes more sense than replacing Alexander Hamilton on the 10, since Hamilton was the first Secretary of Treasury, on the other hand...

Which is something I'm surprised not many people know. He preferred gold and silver coins over paper money.

Oh, a classic faux debating tactic. "We're not hypersensitive, YOU'RE hypersensitive! And that's ironic and funny!".

Learn what the word irony means before posting on this thread. We'll wait.

Honestly, I couldn't care any less about what faces are on the currency.

I wonder how many would flip poop if Jesus was on all the currency. He did the most good of all.

Don't you have to be an American in order to be put on the American currency?
  • Brohoof 7

I honestly wish they replaced Jackson sooner. After I learned about him in history and the supposed "hero" he was, he didn't deserve to be enshrined on paper money.

With what Harriet Tubman did for America's slaves, I just wish she got this kind of recognition sooner.

• Brohoof 4

I like this; Tubman would be an excellent replacement for Jackson. I'm not even the "social justice" type, but for years I wondered why we had a president who caused the suffering of thousands of innocent people and who defied the supreme court as the person to be a major figurehead on our currency. I'd much rather have an average American who did great things to be on the 20 dollar bill.

I know this isn't too related but I remember this topic was discussed during a republican debate. I know that they originally where planning on changing the 10 dollar bill, and I was so confused as to why they wanted to change it when they could change 20 dollar bill. However, I do remember that Ted Cruz (I won't bring up my opinions on politics, I just know it was him who said this) opposed the notion of changing the 10 dollar bill in favor of changing the 20 dollar bill to remove president Jackson from such an important piece of our culture. Who knows, maybe they listened to him which caused it now to be the 20 dollar bill. I also remembered that in the debate, many other excellent candidates for the change we're being suggested: Rosa Parks, Abigail Adams, etc. But I feel Harriet Tubman was a good choice.

• Brohoof 2

Jesus isn't real. Neither was god.

Jesus actually has been proven to exist as a person. It's his actions in life that are in question. 

> Says that this topic should not be a debate topic

> Looks at posts

Either way, I think Tubman being on the dollar bill is great – she is one of many other examples of what an American hero should embody, and Jackson (whether he was good or bad as a whole is, um, debatable) wouldn't have supported what we've done to our money system anyways. Significant? Not really. It's just a dollar bill.

• Brohoof 2

Here's something some of you may not know. Andrew Jackson was actually a slave holder. Now, Tubman was an abolisher of slavery. From one extreme to the next. Mind=blown. 

Who doesn't know that already?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I say good, she was a good person who saved many, she deserves to be represented as a face of the United States.

Yeah except He's not American. I love Him, but to put Him on our currency would be representing someone who never set foot on our shores and thus as a person and nothing more can't represent our country.

I mean, should King Solomon be on the $100? Winston Churchill on the 5$? If we're including figures that had a strong influence on the country without belonging to it for candidates, sky's the limit!

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

I think that it is cool that a woman is going to be on US currency. I would also say that I think out of all american women in history, Harriet Tubman is definitely worthy of the honor. I think it is better that she will be replacing Jackson rather than Hamilton. Jackson was a respectable man and a great general. He did some good stuff for the country, but he also did some pretty terrible things. Hamilton did less terrible things.

Honestly, I don't think it's a very big deal. I don't think it is a huge victory for feminists, and I don't think that it will affect anyone's everyday lives. Nonetheless, I still think it is cool and I support it.

• Brohoof 2

@@Key Sharkz,

I'm brohoofing for most of what you said and I take strong issue with a single part. It will go unnamed and un-argued for the sake of this thread but I wanted to state my objection while still showing my agreement for your overall sentiment.

Jesus actually has been proven to exist as a person. It's his actions in life that are in question. 

Saint Nicolas was real too; Doesn't make his happy ass flying around the world with magic reindeer giving out presents to kids based on their socioeconomic status every year any less of a lie, just like Jesus (or Yeshua like his name is ACTUALLY supposed to be) 

Saint Nicolas was real too; Doesn't make his happy ass flying around the world with magic reindeer giving out presents to kids based on their socioeconomic status every year any less of a lie, just like Jesus (or Yeshua like his name is ACTUALLY supposed to be) 

My point was that he as a person exists. It is scientifically incorrect to state he did not exist, because we have plenty of evidence to suggest he existed in history. I was merely correcting that fact. Whether or not his religion or what the bible says is true is not relevant.

I have to ask though, why does our money never feature people who lived less than 130+ years ago? well, there is Kennedy. But he's all alone and nobody uses half-dollar coins. 

Let's just say "paper money". Bills always show people who lived during the first few decades of this country 

Edited by Zyrael
  • Brohoof 1

I have to ask though, why does our money never feature people who lived less than 130+ years ago? well, there is Kennedy. But he's all alone and nobody uses half-dollar coins. 

Let's just say "paper money". Bills always show people who lived during the first few decades of this country 

It's to give the currency a sense of legitimacy that comes from the Founders. There were Roman coins that had Romulus and Remus suckling from their wolf mother. We have our currency reflect a very few based on who the government feels are figures that in one way or another embodied ideals of the nation.