Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv If you were a mutant, would you join Magneto or the X-Men and why?

Silver Burst

(edited)

So after re-watching the X-Men movies, I started considering if it would be better to join Magneto or the X-Men. I personally would join Magneto.

1. I would have free reign as a mutant.

2. I would be helping liberate other mutants.

3. I would be allowed to use my powers whenever and wherever, without anyone's consent (except maybe Magneto if he wouldn't want me using them at a given moment)

So, what do you guys think? Would you join the X-Men, or Magneto? And why? I can't wait to hear from you all!

Edited by Silver Burst
  • Brohoof 1

X-Men, I'm not for killing people just because they aren't like me, and might be judgmental. Not all humans are bad, and having peace between humans and mutants would be better. Sure if you joined Magneto, you'd be helping killing humans, who aren't always the best people, but then you're certainly not the best person either, are you?

Plus, less chance of being stabbed by Wolverine or something if I'm on the X-Men. :awuh:

• Brohoof 2

X-Men, I'm not for killing people just because they aren't like me, and might be judgmental. Not all humans are bad, and having peace between humans and mutants would be better. Sure if you joined Magneto, you'd be helping killing humans, who aren't always the best people, but then you're certainly not the best person either, are you?

Plus, less chance of being stabbed by Wolverine or something if I'm on the X-Men. :awuh:

Yeah, that's very true. But I feel like by joining the X-Men and the academy, they'd be trying to help "control" my power, rather than help bring it out.

(edited)

In terms of the comics, I'd go with Magneto.

In terms of the movies, I'd go with Xavier. 

What's the difference? 

In the comics, Magnetos reasoning behind doing what he does is a lot more fleshed out and logical than Xaviers idealist Dogma. If I were in the comicverse, I'd be literally hunted down and hated on by humans and killer robots. I'd be looking for someone like Magneto to run with because he's got the right idea at the end of the day, at least for humans. Depending on what my mutant ability was I'd work with him to reshape the world and get rid of this oppression toward mutants. 

In the Comics however, Magneto and his crew are much more of an aggressive force. They aren't reacting to hatred and fear, they are causing it with their actions. In the comics the hatred was there whether Magneto was doing anything or not. He was doing what he did out of self defense and fighting for his people. In the movies he's a dogmatic villain who seeks to oppress humans. The intent is totally different. Xavier is the voice of reason in the movieverse, while he's much more of a questionable idealist in the comics. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 2

So after re-watching the X-Men movies, I started considering if it would be better to join Magneto or the X-Men. I personally would join Magneto.

1. I would have free reign as a mutant.

2. I would be helping liberate other mutants.

3. I would be helping kill humans (let's face it, they aren't exactly known to be the greatest of people)

4. I would be allowed to use my powers whenever and wherever, without anyone's consent (except maybe Magneto if he wouldn't want me using them at a given moment)

So, what do you guys think? Would you join the X-Men, or Magneto? And why? I can't wait to hear from you all!

I would join Magneto.

But, only if I was being harassed and threatened where I live.

Living by my motto: "No violence unless provoked."

Yeah, that's very true. But I feel like by joining the X-Men and the academy, they'd be trying to help "control" my power, rather than help bring it out.

I don't think that's really what the X-men do, not entirely. They do help you bring out your powers, but they also help you control them as well. A lot of the mutants powers are very dangerous, and they could hurt people if they don't know how to control them. Look at Cyclops for example. If I had some super power like that, I'd like the knowledge of how to control it on my own, to keep both myself and others safe.

I don't know too much about how it is in the comics, and I barely remember the cartoon, but just going with the movie versions I'm definitely going X-Men.

(edited)

Probably whoever came to me first. As radical as he is you have to see things from Magneto's point of view. All he's doing is defending himself and his kind from people who hate them just for existing.

Edited by Frostgage

First off, GREAT topic.  The ideologies, personalities, and relationship between Charles and Erik are among the most fascinating of any movie characters.  Magneto is one of my all time favorite villains because of his belief that he's really a good guy, and the amount of sympathy one could feel for his cause at times.  That's what makes him so interesting.  (Quick tangent--although I like Starlight as a protagonist, I think it would have been better if they kept her a villain, but had some sort of dynamic relationship between her and Twilight, wherein they clash on their ideologies of how to proceed in this project of building a better world, while at the same time maintaining a sort of mutual respect and friendship, a la Charles and Erik.  Obviously, it wouldn't be the happy sort of friendship they enjoy now, but the sort where they can sit and play chess amidst their war, if just for old time's sake.)

Anyway....I'd like to able to say I'd join Charles and the X-Men.  There's no doubt that they are on the right side.  (I should take a second to clarify that I am only analyzing the movies atm.  I've never read the comics, and since the OP specifically addressed the movies, that's what I'm going with.)  Erik has many valid points, but for me, the point at which the floor simply drops out from under his side is when he disowns Raven after she sacrifices her mutant self to save him in X3 The Last Stand.  What kind of insanity would drive him to consider this lifelong, trusted ally to now, in an instant, be an enemy?  Simply because she's no longer a mutant, she's dead to him.  She's still the same person, but that doesn't matter to him at all.  Even Pyro, that little f*cking prick, thought that that was cold.  That's the moment when my sympathy for Erik ends.  How can he not see that not all humans are bad?  He's making the same mistake that he condemns humanity for.  He blames all humans collectively.  This logically means that he is willingly denying himself useful allies.  Doesn't it stand to reason that there are many (or at least some) humans who advocate for mutant rights?  I am a white male; does this mean that I cannot be a feminist?  Does it mean that I cannot fight for LGBT rights?  Had I lived decades ago, does it mean that I could not have stood with Martin Luther King Jr. during the civil rights movement?  Erik Lensherr would evidently say yes, that I couldn't fight for those people, because I'm not one of them.  How small and narrow minded that is.  Perhaps Erik really is justified in the use of deadly force, but certainly not against those that mean mutants no harm, or even want to help them.

And yet...given the life I've lived, and my often misanthropic feelings, I can't say for absolute certain that I'd join Charles.  Maybe I'd allow myself to be seduced by the attractive prospect of a world dominated by my fellow homo superior brethren.  Perhaps I'd join Erik, then try to reason with him to see a better path, a compromise between his side and Charles's.  I just can't say for sure.  Sorry to leave you with am ambiguous answer, but it was a very fun conversation.

• Brohoof 1

I'd go with the X-Men all the way. Magneto has his motivations to be sure, and to some extent, justifiable ones. But many criminals can claim the same thing. It doesn't make using (abusing) super powers okay to do. Anyone who has those kinds of powers has the responsibility to control them, which is what Xavier is there to help with. The X-Men are concerned with doing good (for both mutants and humans) and thinking beyond themselves where Magneto is interested only in mutants and his own rather extreme agendas. I don't like the idea of a Mutant Registration Act or the like, but Magneto takes his militant approach a little far. 

The X-Men are more in control of themselves, and discipline is the first thing a responsible being with such power should have. It shows conscience and intelligence.

Magneto and company are ruthless, and in some cases (like with Pyro) just plain juvenile and unstable. Not the kind of thing you want when dealing with someone able to destroy civilization as we know it. 

• Brohoof 1