Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Spike the real main character and hero of FiM?

ManaMinori

(edited)

There's so many signs that point to Spike as being the reason the mane 6 are even "the mane 6"; being the cause of their growth, their continued existance even, and a hero to ponykind. As a relateable character to me, it saddens and depresses me to see writers treat Spike unfairly, making him either the cause of problems, or for mere slapstick. (Hell, past generations treated Spike with more dignity and respect than g4 does) But let's start from the beginning.....

In episode 1, rather than Sunbutt getting Twilight to step out her comfort xone and make friends, its onlh through the encouragement and suggestion of Spike that caused Twilight to take that first step.

Likewise, in the same episode, where Fluttershy waas likely behaving as we first saw her, throughough her adult life, what first gets her on the path to overcoming her fears is Spike, as she can then carry on a normal conversation in the presense of a party of 2, Twilight and Spike. Most likely she wouldn't have even attended Twilight's party if Spike hadn't been there.

In episode 6, Spike was the one who eventually won Twi over and convinced her that she needed to use her magic, not to show up Trixie, like he originally intended (but still played out that way, anyway), but to save Ponyville from the Ursa Minor.

Episode 9 had Spike being the one finding the cure for the poison joke and urging Twilight to give it a chance, though his suggestion is brushed off, in spite of him having the answer all along.

Episode 14 showed that Spike was the one who kick started Rarity's popularity in Canterlot, and by extension, Manehattan, as it was Spike who convinced Hoity Toity to come to Rarity's fashion show, and most likely stick around after the first failure. Through Spike's involvement, Hoity was impressed enouugh to feature Rarity's designs in his boutique, which launched Rarity's Canterlot popularity.

In episode 19, he put up a decent fight for a while, keeping the Diamond Dogs from getting to Rarity. And when he got outnumbered, he went to rally the ReMane 5 for help to save her.

In the same episode, had it also not been for Spike, Rarity wouldn't have managed to dig for all the gems she needed in order to meet her client's request, which would've led to damaging Rarity's reputation had it not been fulfilled. Further evidence of Spike helping Rarity's rapidly expanding career.

It was Spike's idea and gem given to him by Rarity that got him and the reMane 5 down into the dog's den, and Spike's reminder to Twilight of using Rarity's own gem-finding spell to locate her.

Episode 21 had Spke being there to prevent the Buffalo from hurting RD and Pinkie.

Episode 24 has a Twilight confessing that Spike is, and will always be her NUMBER 1 FRIEND, which makes him more important and higher ranked than the other ponies who Twilight calls her friends.

Episode 26 showed Spike suggesting that him and the ponies all hang out together to have more fun. No one took his advice, and only until after they destroyed the gala did they realize that Spike was right all along, and that hanging out together was in fact the better idea.

In Season 2 episode 2, Spike again proved himself the hero. When the mane 6 were defeated by Discord, it was only through Spike that Sunbutt could return all of Twilight and her friends' letters. His magical mode of transport made it possible for Twilight to come to her senses and restore harmony.

In episode 3, it was Spike who brought Twilight back to her senses the first few times that she began to freak out and lose her head. Credit again goes to Spike in the same episode for being the only one of Twilight's friends to take her concerns seriously, and send an S.O.S to Sunbutt in time for the 'Want it Need It' Spell to be dealt with.

Episode 6 had Spike as the one who knew exactly what book Twi was reading to help Apple Bloom, better than Twi knew the book, herself, in spite of her just having read it.

Though Spike was left out of episode 9, it was thanks to Spike (S1E01) that Rarity had gone to Canterlot, for fabric to make Twilight's dress (a pony who she never would've met had it not been for Spike encouraging Twilight to make friends), and Spike, again, playing a part in Rarity's business sucess, for had it not been for Twilight, by extension, Spike, she wouldn't have bet and gained such notoriety with Fancy or the Canterlot elite.

In season 3, epiodes 1 and 2, it was Spike who suggested and swayed Twilight's mind that he go with her into the castle to look for the Crystal Heart. By his being with her, he was able to 1: snap Twilight out of Sombra's dark magic trance in front of the door, 2: deliver the heart to Candance and Shining, when Twi was trapped and hnable to do it herself

In episode 9, it was Spike who saved Applejack's life from the timber wolf, when all her other friends ran and abandoned her.

In season 4, episode 6, he saves the Power ponies by informing and teaching them to use their powers, leading them to Mane-iac's hideout, and helps save them by taking out a decent number of minions and distracting Mane-iac when the Power Ponies become imprisoned, allowing them time to free themselves

Episode 23 shows that only Spike could save Rarity from the dark magic that posessed her

In epsode 24, Spike saves the Crystal Empire for the second time

Thee's many more examples of his possibly showing how he's THE main hero of FiM, but enough has been povided, for now.

But what are your opinions?

Is Spike the main hero of the series, to which many of the mane 6 owe their development, progress, and their own lives?

Does it disappoint/sadden/disgust you to see Spike used as a buttmonkey, as he was, most recently in "Newbie Dash"? (Does anyone even find it funny?)

Should writers who have a history of writing Spike like that just not even use him in their episodes?

Should he be written out of FiM completely, and given more respect in a spinoff series of his own?

Should Spike's theme song be the intro to the anime "Sakamoto desu ga?"? (See lyrics)

Stand up! Raise your eyes and elegantly judge,

The gloom catching your gaze- look, it's breakfast!

So take it down with your knife and fork, Alright:

Welcome that graceful life!

Unassigned, unpolished, unrefined:

No Thanx!

A heart that's super hot-

Behavior that's cool, Cooler, Coolest!

Don't bend, get up!

Half-assed, playboy, stooping over:

No way!

Rise up, even against the rapids

Go with the flow! Fight back! With a

Refreshingly calm face.

Your hardships are a bouquet that a

Adorns your days!

Dance, even if you're alone:

Atop that stage, once this curtain

Rises, the audience will erupt-

C'mon, it's showtime! Open those

Eyes and don't look away,

From that shining isolated new world!

Yeah! Yeah! Don't back down- Hey boys!

Feelings pourin' out: be yourself to the end!

You offer a special present,

So let's go- GO, Just as you are!

Break out, Raise up a storm!

It will take you straight to Heaven!

Wake up, ye weaklings!

Stand out- Hey! Don't bother looking

Out for anyone's feelings!

Push on through with your jailbreak style!

Ah, virtuous knight,

Let's go onwards together- Hey, Girl!

Step gracefully down that thorny road!

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

I think it's a really Really REALLY long stretch to try and claim Spike is the real main character of the series. He's Twilight's beloved little brother/son figure. In this role, he also provides the stereotypical "goofy kid brother" stick in many episodes. He's basically a comedy relief character. Most stories that feature him are a bit on the cringe-worthy side.

Dude, in the most recent episode Spike burnt Starlight to the bone so much, that he's my main hero now.

Spike was great in Saturday's episode.

I like people who aren't afraid to tell it like it is.

I think it's a really Really REALLY long stretch to try and claim Spike is the real main character of the series. He's Twilight's beloved little brother/son figure. In this role, he also provides the stereotypical "goofy kid brother" stick in many episodes. He's basically a comedy relief character. Most stories that feature him are a bit on the cringe-worthy side.

so you're saying that the manes would still have gotten where they are, or still be alive today without Spike, because he's not as important a character as i said he was?

Imo, you can be the main character that pushes others to where greater heights or saves them, while being the wizard behind the curtain (or sidekick role). He doesn't need to be front and center to play that part.

No he's not. The Mane Six are the main heroes of this show. Spike does play an important part, so does Starlight, and the CMCs; but Spike is pretty much like Starlight and the CMCs as side-heroes. They all play major parts, but the Mane Six are the true heroes here. That said, Spike has been doing a good job lately! He's still comic-relief, yes, but in episodes where he plays major roles, he's been doing so much better!

so you're saying that the manes would still have gotten where they are, or still be alive today without Spike, because he's not as important a character as i said he was?

Imo, you can be the main character that pushes others to where greater heights or saves them, while being the wizard behind the curtain (or sidekick role). He doesn't need to be front and center to play that part.

I'll just answer your above question with yes. I truly and honestly believe  the show would have progressed exactly the same if Spike wasn't created as the kid brother/comic relief character. I see no hint of a secret hidden plot where Spike is the main all powerful character working behind the scenes. Why would the writers do that? It doesn't make sense.

I'll just answer your above question with yes. I truly and honestly believe  the show would have progressed exactly the same if Spike wasn't created as the kid brother/comic relief character. I see no hint of a secret hidden plot where Spike is the main all powerful character working behind the scenes. Why would the writers do that? It doesn't make sense.

It actually does kind of make sense, unintentionally though.

• 2 years later...

Until the very end! I thinm he'll be playing a main role in season 9, through hints and theories! Seems fitting if his prime comes at the very last season of the series! It's always the least expecting character at the end of alota shows! 

Wouldn't be the first time that happened! Megan, a human character, was the hero of the series finale in G1, or so I heard!

Edited by FlareGun45

On 5/16/2016 at 9:59 PM, FlareGun45 said:

No he's not. The Mane Six are the main heroes of this show. Spike does play an important part, so does Starlight, and the CMCs; but Spike is pretty much like Starlight and the CMCs as side-heroes. They all play major parts, but the Mane Six are the true heroes here. That said, Spike has been doing a good job lately! He's still comic-relief, yes, but in episodes where he plays major roles, he's been doing so much better!

Although I don't want to see him get that as many roles in S9 as he did in S8, I'm sure there's still things he can do to help somepony in the Mane Six in return, like Fluttershy overcome her "long-forgotten" fear of dragons.

While Spike has undoubtedly been an important character, albeit one who isn't always given enough credit, it's a pretty big stretch to call him the "real main character and hero". The main hero is clearly Twilight, along with the rest of the Mane 6. Spike has always been more of a little brother to them, who mostly tags along with them but is an important member of the team nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...

Nah, I don't think so. Don't y'all remember the leak where Spike was originally going to get killed off? It was cancelled at the last minute due to production time and they felt it was easier just to leave him in there.