Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why haven't we focused on the Crystal Empire crew?

Slashy

Despite the significance of the Crystal Empire and constantly visiting it, as well as the Royal Family there being given so much attention in the show, comics, and books, why aren't they full fledged main characters now?

I mean we have Shining Armor, Cadance, Flurry Heart, and Sunburst, we can start to have episodes that just take place in the Crystal Empire instead of Ponyville. I don't see why we don't start developing THEM more.

We're already focusing on the Mane Six, Spike, the CMC, and now Discord and Starlight too. I think that's enough characters to really focus on. While I'd love an episode focused on Celestia and Luna in particular, you can only focus on so many at a time.

As you mentioned, they've had more roles in the comics. Comics are pretty much the go-to source if you want to see more development for side characters.

I agree with Gestum. While those characters do have importance, they aren't THE main characters and the season has only so many episodes, so they have to balance it out. I do want to see more of Sunburst though.

Well, we are six seasons in with several major milestones reached for many of the main protagonists. Less of an opportunity cost issue now when you get right down to it. It wouldn't be a stretch to say an episode focused on Cadance and Shining would open story telling options that would be harder to explore with the other characters. I mean, the fandom has been clamoring for a Luna and Tia in their own episode for years - so taking a break from the big 11 has already be asked for.

If we weren't six seasons in ... I would want to see more main character arcs. But, we have a solid library of episodes with them, so variety would be nice.

We're already focusing on the Mane Six, Spike, the CMC, and now Discord and Starlight too. I think that's enough characters to really focus on. While I'd love an episode focused on Celestia and Luna in particular, you can only focus on so many at a time.

As you mentioned, they've had more roles in the comics. Comics are pretty much the go-to source if you want to see more development for side characters.

The comics are terrible, but the books are great, especially the Cadance one released today.

There is already so many characters in this show, that spending time focusing and developing each and everyone of them is impossible to do so at this point in time.

They're considered supporting characters, which means we really can't have an episode about them unless the main characters are involved somehow. Other shows can probably revolve episodes around supporting characters, but MLP doesn't work that way. It sucks because some of these characters have potential.

It would be kinda nice to look more into the side lines cannons like saw in a web-cartoon shorts?   Looking like in to Armor and his family but other loved sides to even moments with the Princess would be a nice change of pace a bit.

The Crystal Empire still holds a lot of questions and mysteries that surrounds Equestria. Canonically, it hasn't been thoroughly explored and I'm afraid world building would have to limited to focus on the Mane 6's setting instead.

I'd love a Cadance-focused episode, but it'd take focus away from the show's main characters. The Crystal Empire family and company aren't main characters. I'd be the first person to watch/read a Crystal Empire-based spinoff, though. 

• 4 years later...
15 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

I’m pretty sure the animators just didn’t want to add the crystal texture to a bunch of random background characters all the time. That’s just my take on it, though.

Actually they can easily say they only do the crystal stuff if they are really happy(like during some event) rather than just in general.

• Brohoof 1