Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gen4 is riddled with Gen3 ponies

ManaMinori

And g3 haters are none the wiser. Muahahaha!

Anyway, g4 has a plethora of g3 ponies (Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, Cheerilee, Star Swirl, Meadowbrook, Moondancer, Sapphire Shores, Golden Delicious, Blossomforth, Peachy Pie, Forsythia, Comet Tail, Rainbow Flash, Bumblesweet (and Minty and Skywishes in the toyline) ), and being someone who liked quite a few characters from g3 (Toola Roola, Star Catcher, Kimono, Puzzlemint, Sun Shimmer, Silver Glow, Whimsy Weatherbe), I'm not complaining. Fact, I quite enjoy the fact that we have so many g3 ponies (in name/ partial design) in g4. Quite enjoyable, indeed.

But what are your thoughts on so many gen 3 characters are found in gen 4?

Who is your favorite g3 character in g4?

Think we'll see the remainder of gen 3's "Core seven" brought to g4 (Toola Roola, Starsong) ?

How do you feel that even g4's openeing resembles G3's?

#ToolaRoolaForever

No problem with it, Hasbro does this with a lot of their franchises, reuse character names or reboot characters for the next generation

Take a wild guess

Think we'll see the remainder of gen 3's "Core seven" brought to g4 (Toola Roola, Starsong)?

Don't know but I wouldn't mind, I'd love to see Minty though

Meh, never cared for it 

• Brohoof 2

No problem with it, Hasbro does this with a lot of their franchises, reuse character names or reboot characters for the next generation

Take a wild guess

Think we'll see the remainder of gen 3's "Core seven" brought to g4 (Toola Roola, Starsong)?

Meh, never cared for it

Minyy's showed up in the toyline (blind bags) and IdW comics of g4 so far. Probably in the show, too, in the bg. So many unique bg ponies, I can't keep up

Wonder how many g3 jabs we'll get with g4 Rainbow Dash acting like g3 RD, with how she impersonated Rarity, darling, in today's episode

• Brohoof 2

I'm glad to see old characters be re-introduced in G4. While I've never seen G3 (nor do I plan to), I imagine it's a nice throwback for those who've seen it. :)

Makes me wonder, how many G1 and G2 ponies have made it into the show? I remember seeing Firefly in Tanks for the Memories, though I'm sure there must be more. :ooh:

Makes me wonder, how many G1 and G2 ponies have made it into the show? I remember seeing Firefly in Tanks for the Memories, though I'm sure there must be more. :ooh:

Firefly is one of the G1 characters we've all been waiting for... Sadly, she was never introduced to FiM. :(

The pony with a similar colour scheme and mane style that appeared in Tanks for the Memories must have been Clear Skies. 

post-14850-0-92875500-1463912898_thumb.png

• Brohoof 2

Firefly is one of the G1 characters we've all been waiting for... Sadly, she was never introduced to FiM. :(

Ah, my bad! I thought this pony was Firefly because of her coat color, but the mane & eyes are different colors. :adorkable:

(edited)

This is not unusual in any way, franchises of this nature recycle characters, plots and various other elements constantly throughout their various iterations.  Lauren Faust specifically stated that many of the characters were either directs ports from previous generations, of had been inspired by the same.  Rainbow Dash for example, was based on G1's Firefly according to Lauren, as Firefly had been a favourite of hers when she was young.

We see exactly the same thing occurring with Hasbro's Transformers franchise as well, the same names cropping up time and time again, the characters themselves may, or may not, bear any resemblance to their earlier namesakes.

As to my thoughts on it, I don't feel it has any significant effect on the cartoon as a whole, other than being a nod back to earlier generations, and maybe a bit of an easter egg for those that watched them.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeah Hasbro does this with all their franchises, the only reason we see more G3 names than G1 or whatever is that they lost the rights to a lot of those names (you know in Faust original pitch G4 was just gonna wholesale use reboots of the G1 Cast, Rainbow would be Firefly, Rarity would be Sparkler, Twilight Sparkle would be Twilight Tinkle, Fluttershy would be Posey and Pinkie Pie would be Surprise, but they no longer had the rights to ANYONE expect for Applejack and Spike)

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

Yeah Hasbro does this with all their franchises, the only reason we see more G3 names than G1 or whatever is that they lost the rights to a lot of those names (you know in Faust original pitch G4 was just gonna wholesale use reboots of the G1 Cast, Rainbow would be Firefly, Rarity would be Sparkler, Twilight Sparkle would be Twilight Tinkle, Fluttershy would be Posey and Pinkie Pie would be Surprise, but they no longer had the rights to ANYONE expect for Applejack and Spike)

I'm well aware of that, and have been for a long time, thank you. This is ore a topic for the guys who didn't know (or deny that g3 exists)

I like G4 because I grew up on Sailor Moon and other 90s cartoons like Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, etc. and G4 feels more like a successor to those type of shows than the previous MLP generations to me.

Take a wild guess

Meh, never cared for it

I also long for the return of Minty.

#Minty4Ever

• Brohoof 2

• 4 years later...
(edited)

Well good news to G3 fans, your favorite G3 ponies are back in Generation 4!

Minty made an appearance in a MLP YouTube short called "Sundae, Sundae, Sundae!"

mlp_vector___minty_by_jhayarr23_dd0tqai-pre.png.2a4752cc4a5013feef7b5fe7b625589f.png

And Toola Roola and Coconut Cream made an appearance in the Season 7 episode, "Fame and Misfortune".

coconut_cream_and_toola_roola_by_cloudyglow_dbk0fmd-fullview.thumb.png.e94cc59275fe028e69f320cdf83c6446.png

Though, unfortunately, Starsong didn't make an appearance in G4 FiM, beside the toys. Which is a shame because that would make a great opportunity for a great G3 Core 7 reunion. If there's anyone out there knows where Starsong appeared in some form in G4, let me know. 

Edited by JMTV99