Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rate S6.

CastletonSnob

It was okay, not bad, not great. I'd give it a 6/10

Basically this.

You have some nice ones like "Newbie Dash" but then you get some unimpressive ones like "On your marks" and "The Saddle Row Review".  It's a mixed bag.

• Brohoof 1

Episode i hated with passion :okiedokieloki: : Applejack "Day" Off

Episode i loved  :pout: : Hearth's Warming Tail

Episodes which grew on me after second watch: Newbie Dash, Flutter Brutter. Yup, i forgive you, episodes :grin: 

Episode i liked: Everything else :twi: 

Episodes made me INSANE :love: :  No Second Prances  :orly: I always love you, Nick. :twi: 

Meh episodes: Crystalling and On Your Marks :blink: 

This first half doesnt have a lot of bombastic episodes compare to other seasons  :adorkable: , i hope the second half will be better  :rarity: , maybe they save the best for last, i can only pray 

• Brohoof 2

I'm honestly surprised that the majority of folks here are rating the season below 6/10 (that's the equivalent of a D- in school  :adorkable:). Quite frankly, I don't know how they could come to such a conclusion. To each their own I suppose.

I'm gonna be in the minority in saying this, but I absolutely enjoyed the 1st 1/2 of season 6. For a show that has been on the air for nearly 6 years to continually impress me every week is no small feat. There was no episode that I genuinely disliked at all. My list of favorite to least favorite episodes are as follows:

1. The Saddle Row Review: 10/10
  2. No Second Prances: 10/10
  3. A Hearth's Warming Tale: 9.5/10
  4. Flutter Brutter: 9/10
  5. Gauntley of Fire: 8.5/10
  6. The Crystalling: 8.5/10
  7. The Gift of the Maud Pie: 8/10
  8. Newbie Dash: 8/10
  9. Spice up Your Life: 7.5/10
  10. On Your Marks: 7/10
  11. Applejack's Day Off: 7/10

Overall score: 93/110 = 8.5/10 (around the mid B range  :P).

I am very happy with how the season has progressed so far. I am definitely looking forward to when Pony comes back this Fall! 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's been fine, really I don't get all the angst over it. It's been a mix of great, good, decent and weaker episodes same as always. Frankly while id rate the first half of S5 slightly higher the worst episodes of the first half of S5 were significantly worse than the worst episodes of the first half of S6.

I feel people are just losing interest or something because there really hasn't been a particularly large drop in quality on average. But hey this is the fandom that all but worships the very inconsistent Season 2 so whatever. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 1

So far, I'm loving season 6. It had a bit of a weak start with The Crystalling and Gift of Maud Pie in my opinion, but from then on it's gone up and up and up in my estimation and I've really been enjoying it. Perhaps more so than season 5. 

Season 4 I'm sure will remain my favourite season overall, but 6 could easily end up taking the second spot on my list. :D

Rating so far: 9/10 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I already posed this question in the other thread, but really people are complaining that only like 3 or 4 episodes really wow'd them in this set of 12, and the rest were just good to meh....

But can you really name that many more episodes in the first half of S5 that really WOWED YOU? Cause I can't, I name probably about 3 or 4 that wow'd me there too, a bunch of good but flawed ones and a handful of bad ones (which frankly were worse than S6's bad ones like id take Applejacks Day Off over Princess Spike any time, and the sorta dullness of On Your Marks is better than the TERMINAL dullness of Appleoosa's Most Wanted.) 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 4

So far I'd say 6.5/10. It's still good, but season 5 still ranks better. More major stuff needs to happen. The only big things this season are Flurry Heart and Rainbow Dash becoming a wonderbolt.

So far I'd say 6.5/10. It's still good, but season 5 still ranks better. More major stuff needs to happen. The only big things this season are Flurry Heart and Rainbow Dash becoming a wonderbolt.

What about Rarity getting a third store? Isn't that pretty important for her character?

• Brohoof 3

From the leaked titles, it looks like they saved the best for the end, so I will need to reserve judgement.

Well, they did that last season, I just hope they deliver again this one

I'm honestly surprised that the majority of folks here are rating the season below 6/10 (that's the equivalent of a D- in school :adorkable:). Quite frankly, I don't know how they could come to such a conclusion. To each their own I suppose.

6/10 isn't exclusively a D-. For a lot of people, a 6/10 is equivalent to above-average, while 5/10 is average. It depends on perspective.

Season six has been disappointing to me. After a lot of good ideas in seasons four and five and the quality of a good chunk of season five's episodes pushing it over season two, I looked forward into what the new crew was going to do. Unfortunately, after a good start, it's been mostly disappointment.

What did it do right?

1. Spike. This is easily his best season so far. Not only did he get his best episode of the series. Outside of Newbie Dash, he's been treated with a lot more respect.
  2. Sunburst. Only appears in the two-parter, but he worked so well. Complex, likable, and a much better attempt at featuring a fear of failure and self-doubt than Zephyr!
  3. A Hearth's Warming Tail and The Saddle Row Review are the season's best episodes. The former has excellent music, animation, and graphics. The latter has the best dialogue and comedy in season six with a formula to dare challenge quo with brilliance.

And the duds:

1. Newbie Dash, Flutter Brutter, and No Second Prances are the worst episodes this season. ND is among the bottom-ten, FB barely missing out.

2. Until the last couple of episodes, this season was really, really safe in conflict and moral. Sure, there have been some good morals, but none of them have that complexity and fifty shades of gray that seasons four and five presented a lot. Hopefully, part two'll be more daring.

3. Stereotypes and unfortunate implications. Way too many of them this season. Trixie attempted to continue her show, but because she knows she can't do it alone, she implicates suicide here. Zesty was the "petulant critic" stereotype; Zeph a combo of the diva and freeloader stereotype. Zesty's whole character muddled the moral about criticism.

4. Newbie Dash's moral is the worst this season. Seriously, if you can't handle "friendly banter," you don't belong?!

If season six ended right now, it'd be 5 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 3 ≥ 4 in preferential order, but 5 > 2 > 1 > 4 > 6 > 3 if judging the season's overall quality.

Here's my list of episodes from the best to worst so far:

1. A Hearth’s Warming Tail
  2. The Saddle Row Review
  3. Gauntlet of Fire
  4. On Your Marks
  5. The Crystalling
  6. Applejack’s “Day” Off
  7. The Gift of Maud Pie
  8. Spice Up Your Life
  9. No Second Prances
  10. Flutter Brutter
  11. Newbie Dash
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I rate this half of Haberration with one big [ResidentSleeper] and one extra [OSfrog] for Le Balanced Baby’s brilliant performance. To be fair, Gauntlet and Hearth’s do get a [MingLee] while Saddle Row deserves a [PogChamp].

Edited by Goat-kun

Hasn't been that bad, in my opinion, I mean, there are a few episodes I sort of thought were meh, and one bad, the rest I've at least enjoyed.

(edited)

I don't rate a season that isn't finished airing yet.  That's like me going into a 2-hour movie and reviewing it after having seen only an hour of it.

If I'm going to review something, I'd like to review it in its entirety, and not just part of it.  So right now, I don't know WHAT I would rate season 6.

?/10

Edited by SBaby

Numerical score around 7/10. 

As someone who was disappointed with both seasons 4 and 5, this season has been really exciting to me. I guess I'm in the minority here, but there's not been a single episode this season that I found entirely terrible, which puts it way above season 5, which seemed to have an episode I hated every three weeks. Meanwhile, there's more of an attempt towards freshness than season 4, partially due to changes in the status quo from season 5 but also because of an increasing move away from the show's usual formulas. Season 4 was where the show started to really feel like it was stagnating, whereas season 6 feels like the show finally pulling itself together. Unfortunately, while the show has a whole lot of new, fresh elements going on, it's displayed relatively little idea what to actually do with them. Rainbow Dash becoming a Wonderbolt was great even in spite of a disappointing episode, and I also really enjoyed the subplot about Rarity's new Manehattan shop. Unfortunately, not all of the writers seem to fully understand the characters they're writing, and characters like Starlight Glimmer, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and even Applejack have been leaking momentum. I'll confess that there's a risk of the season wearing itself out on me if it doesn't pick up more of a direction, but its own need to be constantly self-contained is severely detrimental to that, I think. It's increasingly frustrating as the show gets older and more complex that the show isn't really equipped to handle its growth and newfound complexity. I was relatively happy with season 4 up until the halfway point, so for all I know this could go the same way. However, the difference here is that I don't feel like half of season 6 has been outright filler. I'm happier with this season so far than I was with both previous seasons, and even despite the season's problems, I'm really happy to be enjoying this show so much again. 

7.75/10 So far there have been no episode that I didn't like. At the same time, there have been no episodes that I loved or had an emotional response to. It has all been good, but they could do better.

8/10. We did have some "so bad I wanna die" episodes, like Hearth's Warming Tail, we do have Flurry Heart who no one likes for some reason (I love Flurry even as someone who hates to even look at infants, and that's saying something), but we mostly had truly great episodes, like Flutter Brutter and Spice Up Your Life.

Eh, it's okay. A couple of good episodes, but the majority of them are just... meh. Hopefully the second half is good, but this season's current track record is making me think otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

I would give the first half of season 6 a 7/10. There were some pretty awesome episodes and some that weren't so good, in my opinion. It was also great seeing new characters while also seeing some old returning characters. All in all it was a pretty good first half and I'm excited for the second half of season 6. 

My issue is that it has been bizarrely...average in a way that makes it boring. The thing is most episodes are done well enough that even when they are bad they just come off as boring.

I feel like in most cases nothing is really given any sense of wonder, we have major events happen and they are basically tossed aside (Flurry Heart, Starlight Glimmer, Rainbow Dash Wonderbolt) with only Rarity and Spike really getting anything of note. I think Josh Haber needs help, he has admitted his faults in coming up with compelling stories and writing adventure tales and it shows.

This is the first season that feels like a set of unused ideas for the previous season.

Yes. DHX should get Josh Haber a partner.

Great Episodes:

Gauntlet of Fire

Gift of Maud Pie

Good Episodes:

No Second Prances

Saddle Row Review

Hearth's Warming Tale

Flutter Brutter

Spice Up Your Life

Average Episodes:

The Crystaling

On Your Marks

Bad Episodes:

Newbie Dash

Applejack's Day Off

Been an OK season for me, not yet hit the hights of seasons 4 or 5 but I don't feel the show is going through seasonal rot like many seem to think.

The Gift of Maud Pie

Saddle Row Review

Spice Up Your Life

Applejacks Day Off

No Second Prances

Gauntlet of Fire

Hearths Warming Tale

Flutter Brutter

The Crystalling

On Your Marks

Newbie Dash

Overall, this season has been pretty good, but probably the most forgettable episode-wise. :(

Yes. DHX should get Josh Haber a partner.

Haber really seems out of his depth as the head writer for the show; Ironic that I know wish we had her BACK despite how much I groused about her.

Comparing S5 premier by Larson to the S5 finale by Haber is a pretty good indicator of the difference in skill between past writers and him :( (I actually don't hate the S5 premier, but Glimmer's motivation was drastically more compelling in the premier than the finale)