Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Why Job Interviews Are Pointless

Before I got a job, a year and few months since I lost my first job, do find interview pointless. They say no experiecne needed but they go after more experience. Also when they say questions, you need a question for them to say, so no any question you got no job? I do admit queston I most say is when the money come in and feel that reason i unable to get a job.

i feel ya bro. last year i got a job at the food stand. but lost that as well. now im still on the struggle on searching for my second summer job :(

• 2 years later...

No. They're not pointless because they are a two way street. They interview as much as you interview them. The interview is there for them to get a feel for who you are as a person, but it's also there to give you a feel of the company itself. You can often spot red flags during interviews and those should factor into your decision to actually accept a position or not. Would you really like to skip an interview only to find out that the company is a mismanaged pile of garbage with vindictive management? No, you wouldn't.

For a basic job that requires no skilled labor (fastfood, walmart, etc. No offence if you work there. I also served my time at walmart and in fast food) the interview is basically to tell if your a stoner or not. 

For higher level jobs it is important. Ive interviewed teachers at a school I used to work at. On paper the candidate is great. Then you ask one of those pointless questions in the interview "what do you think is the most important quality for a teacher to have?" Were looking for things like; detication, compassion, drive to see students be successful. No I got "I can hold my pee for up to 4 hours."  Umm what? 

Another candidate "how important is parent communication to you?" Correct answer very important to keep parents updated on how their kids are doing in school.  their answer "oh I call my mom almost every day."

These two did not get the job. 

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn’t go so far as to say interviews are pointless. A lot of the questions they ask often are, but it’s more about getting a feel for how someone interacts with customers or other workers, how their work ethic compares and what they might do in one situation or another. Some jobs require extroverts and some are better suited for introverts, so how outgoing a person is, or isn’t, can be a factor. I prefer the personal touch of eye-to-eye contact more than a lifeless job application because applications can be faked (I faked more of them than I can count when I was starting out) and if done correctly can’t be followed up on. Speaking with someone directly can give more intuitive insights. And educational history is about as useless as having two heads. Past experience isn’t always much of a factor either. You can learn more about a person just by visually sizing them up and interacting, however briefly that may be, than basing too much on what they’ve done up to the present date.

(edited)

I wouldn't say they're pointless....just the anxiety they can give you is pointless. :adorkable: If that makes sense....

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

I feel they're pointless for people like myself as I'm shy and anxious so can never shine in such an awkward encounter. I feel the whole system just skews things so you get people who wouldn't be good at a job getting it because there loud and appear confident over someone who would be good at the job but just happens to be shy and quiet.

• Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, Rainbow Cloud said:

I feel they're pointless for people like myself as I'm shy and anxious so can never shine in such an awkward encounter. I feel the whole system just skews things so you get people who wouldn't be good at a job getting it because there loud and appear confident over someone who would be good at the job but just happens to be shy and quiet.

To be fair, I have some bad anxiety and plenty of shyness to go around, but that doesn't mean you can't still have a decent interview. Remember, it's about practice. The more you have, the better you get at it and the better you can answer the questions. Conversely, it took me about 70 to 80 interviews before I landed my current gig. And I never actually got turned down for "not being loud enough." You can have quiet confidence. It can be done, but it does take a little time, practice and patience.

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, The Historian said:

To be fair, I have some bad anxiety and plenty of shyness to go around, but that doesn't mean you can't still have a decent interview. Remember, it's about practice. The more you have, the better you get at it and the better you can answer the questions. Conversely, it took me about 70 to 80 interviews before I landed my current gig. And I never actually got turned down for "not being loud enough." You can have quiet confidence. It can be done, but it does take a little time, practice and patience.

I think I didn't do too bad at the last interview I had based on the feedback though still unsuccessful but I haven't made it as far as the interview stage for one for about four years and have been out of work for a couple of years which I worry will be held against me and feeds my fears of it more. I'll keep trying though, I've learned some new things and built my confidence a little in the past few years which I didn't have back then I guess.

It's actually the CV side of things that I despise more than interviews. The whole opening personal statement thing that they expect you to write at the top. Those cliche buzz words and phrases. "Team player". "Confident". "Good Communicator". Makes me want to vomit out of every available orifice. Including my eye sockets. Just tell me what the fecking job is and I'll do it for the right price. Blam! Perfect opening statement right there. To the point and honest!

The worst part besides the CVs is when you're actually looking for a job. The job advertisements where they expect you to care about their company being the leading producer of rubber ducks and rubber duck accessories in Kazakstan. Who for the fourth year in a row has scored a five star rating in Git Magazine. A publication that is more likely to be used to decorate a doctor's waiting room coffee table than to provide a riveting journey into literature. By the time you find out how much the wages are and how long the working hours are, you feel like you've just attended a presentation on the detailed history of the paper clip and was made to leave your soul at the door. :unamused:

The interviews really aren't that much better. Unless you have someone with a personality conducting it. Rather than some bored manager who silently curses that his dreams of becoming a space cowboy millionaire never panned out. Who feels that the powertrip that his magical neck tie gives him is as good as it gets.

Years of job searching did this to me. Hooray for self employment! :P

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Treeglow Flicker said:

It's actually the CV side of things that I despise more than interviews. The whole opening personal statement thing that they expect you to write at the top. Those cliche buzz words and phrases. "Team player". "Confident". "Good Communicator". Makes me want to vomit out of every available orifice. Including my eye sockets. Just tell me what the fecking job is and I'll do it for the right price. Blam! Perfect opening statement right there. To the point and honest!

I actually took that crap off my resume because it was vomit inducing. I just list my skills and relevant experience. So I know what you mean, but you don't need it if you've got a decent cover letter to go with it.

• Brohoof 1