Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

No Discord in the movie?

Unlikeable Pony

Well, this is saddening. Surprised that there's not going to be any discord in the movie; Kind of figured that, as big of a figure he is in the world, he'd need to be featured at least ONCE to avoid plot holes if a giant villain shows up in the movie (Since Discord's kind of a god more or less)

1468862283372.jpg

I'm not sure if we should take this as a 100% confirmation, but take a read.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/07/no-discord-in-2016-pony-movie.html

Coming from the mouth of the man himself; does this affect your expectations? Personally I wasn't his biggest fan in the first place, so it doesn't bother me, but I do understand he is essentially a fan favorite.

Good, Discord's character used to be a treat, but it's been shoved in our face so much now and the writing for him has gotten so terrible that he's insufferable.

@@Unlikeable Pony

Just letting you know I merged our threads as they were posted at the same time pretty much on the same subject. :)

Even though I really like Discord, I am perfectly fine with this.

There will probably already be a lot of characters with roles in the movie, so things could get a bit cluttered if he was to be introduced into the equation.

• Brohoof 3

I must say, I am slightly dissapointed. Discord was always one of my favourite parts!

Part of me hopes that he's just kidding us on. He is the voice of Discord after all.

Kinda surprised to be honest. Discord is a fan favorite for many people, even if some of him don't like him anymore.

But i am actually very neutral about this. :P

Kinda surprised to be honest. Discord is a fan favorite for many people, even if some of him don't like him anymore.

But i am actually very neutral about this. :P

I think the thing that's bothering me is he sounded disappointed to not play a role in the movie. Now I know he's a professional so it could also be him speaking in-character here for Discord and he understands, but its bugging me nonetheless. =/

I think the thing that's bothering me is he sounded disappointed to not play a role in the movie. Now I know he's a professional so it could also be him speaking in-character here for Discord and he understands, but its bugging me nonetheless. =/

Well, from all the sidecharacters, he is one of the most prominent one in the series and he knows the crew very well.

Maybe it bothers him a bit, but i think John can accept that if his role dosen't add anything to the movie.

Well, they don't have to cast every popular character from the show. Personally, I'd be more interested in seeing new characters introduced! :D (Unless, of course, they come up with another spirit of disharmony to replace Discord. That wouldn't make much sense!)

I think there will be a cameo of him, maybe in an after credits scene.

That'd be cool.

I wonder if we'll see John in pony form.

This can be both a good and a bad thing; and I would tend to go with the former. I'm not saying that because I dislike Discord or what-not; just the opposite. He's not a favorite of mine, but he is usually a highlight in any episode or comic he is featured in. No, the main issue is focus.

Just what is the focus of the movie supposed to be? Would a glut of character detract from that? Who are we expecting? The Mane 6 and likely Spike are obvious, but who else? The CMC? Royal Sister? Starlight Glimmer? Sunset Shimmer?

Honestly as much as I love them even the last two tacked on with the Mane 6 & Spike might be a bit much. One of the issue a few of the comics and some episodes had was too many characters. Did we need all of the Mane 6 in some arcs?

You see, a problem with any form of media is focus, and while Discord is a key character amongst the fanbase, would his inclusion detract from the main point of the movie? Or even if he was included would he do anything aside from the usual joke or what-not? While I can understand the disappointment by plenty of his fans, it might be better if he wasn't in the movie. Again that is nothing against Discord or his wonderfully talented voice actor, but it's just concern for the movie as a whole.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Q  is one of my favorate characters of all time.

Discore is like a "G" Q...

as i would like to see as many of the "character of canon" within the movie, i could see how it would be clutterd.

and if they try to use the movie as a segway to introducing a new character, or ending the series... that would be bad...

but ask yourself this... "would you want the series to continue like they have been portraing this new season? or would you like to see them go out with a bang before its gone..." (I've only recently gotten into mlp fim, yes I am a brony...)

also, JDL, as Q or Discore, loves to play games...little jokes. and twist our perspectives. so there is a good chance hes messing with us, or hes realy irked by not being in the move...

If they don't need him then they don't need him. Honestly I'd rather they not use or leave him as a cameo than shoehorn him in

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...